Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Turley - Foster - Murray - Constable
the spine of our team for 2009/10
was the spineless of our team against Lewes 27 September 2008

And....

You are not happy with this being the spine of the team next year then?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:Turley - Foster - Murray - Constable
the spine of our team for 2009/10
was the spineless of our team against Lewes 27 September 2008

And....

You are not happy with this being the spine of the team next year then?
Was really just making the point what a change the 2nd half of the season was with the same 4 players. First half I barely noticed Constable and Murray was a changed player roaming under Wilder. How much is confidence / manager / the other players / the fans? Spineless is perhaps harsh, but it was Lewes ffs.

Turley struggled with injury this season (at start) and went off at Histon and I think will be on Wilder's list of someone who he needs good back-up for. Hinchliffe has hardly been seen and if the rumours about the NV goalie are true I wouldn't be surprised. Whether he would want to sit on the bench if Turley is fit is perhaps the dilemma.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

The game isn't played with just 4 players though is it?

There's no use having a decent spine to the team if many of the other players aren't up to scratch.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

sandwith signed as well now - official site
give me an O
Embryo

Re:

Post by give me an O »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:sandwith signed as well now - official site
Good! I know he gets alot of stick on the forums but i think he is decent cover for Killock who i believe will be our first choice left back next season.
Chris Wilders Yellow Army!!!!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Sandwith has a terrific left foot on him.

Now he is settled contractually, we may just see a much better player
all round. He has good experience and I trust Wilder on this one.
bjoufc
Embryo

Post by bjoufc »

but he can play anywhere in defense if he is asked to
but i still think that batman is our best defender
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

One thing I don't like (and it's not a Wilder problem, it is generic) is the &quotmy players good, the old players bad&quot syndrome. So injured players are given a chance if they are CW's but not if they are from the old regime, for example and perfectly servicable players are replaced with ones who don't seem to offer any improvement. I'm not convinced by the salary thing either ... presumably if the players are out of contract, then they aren't entitled to their old &quothigh&quot contract value - they could be made an offer that is appropriate to our status and finance and, if they don't like it, they can try to find a better one elsewhere. It's always revealing to see the discarded Ox players doing well. Quite a little reunion coming up at Wembley on the 17th, isn't there?
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Quinny is a victim of that syndrome, but - unemotionally - his time was probably up.

I wonder whether Sammy will get a decent crack of the whip ?
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:Quinny is a victim of that syndrome, but - unemotionally - his time was probably up.

I wonder whether Sammy will get a decent crack of the whip ?
I thought Quinn would have been kept on. One of Patto's mistakes was not making him captain at the start of the season. Willmott has done great second half of the sesaon and must feel deflated.

Roll on August...
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:One thing I don't like (and it's not a Wilder problem, it is generic) is the &quotmy players good, the old players bad&quot syndrome. So injured players are given a chance if they are CW's but not if they are from the old regime, for example and perfectly servicable players are replaced with ones who don't seem to offer any improvement. I'm not convinced by the salary thing either ... presumably if the players are out of contract, then they aren't entitled to their old &quothigh&quot contract value - they could be made an offer that is appropriate to our status and finance and, if they don't like it, they can try to find a better one elsewhere. It's always revealing to see the discarded Ox players doing well. Quite a little reunion coming up at Wembley on the 17th, isn't there?
I have to admit I have a similar concerns. I think this was one of the main reasons that Patto didn't start the season well. We currently have a winning team with really good team spirit and momentum. There is a risk that by making so many changes that momentum will be lost and we start the season with a wimper instead of a bang. Confidence can be very fragile and once lost, hard to get back.

On the other hand it does look like Wilder has a lot more about him than other managers we've had so he might be able to pull it off.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Yep, and a team which, if it were able to continue at the same points per game ratio under Wilder across a whole season would amass 104 points.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Wilder is obviously a fantastic manager but I do worry about his disregard for the existing players. He said to Wilmott something like 'You've done well but I think I can get a better player'. You can always get better players but you risk losing team spirit and commitment, not to mention the signings that don't turn out to be better.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:One thing I don't like (and it's not a Wilder problem, it is generic) is the &quotmy players good, the old players bad&quot syndrome. So injured players are given a chance if they are CW's but not if they are from the old regime, for example and perfectly servicable players are replaced with ones who don't seem to offer any improvement. I'm not convinced by the salary thing either ... presumably if the players are out of contract, then they aren't entitled to their old &quothigh&quot contract value - they could be made an offer that is appropriate to our status and finance and, if they don't like it, they can try to find a better one elsewhere. It's always revealing to see the discarded Ox players doing well. Quite a little reunion coming up at Wembley on the 17th, isn't there?
I'm sure some of the better discarded players, such as Willmott, would have been sounded out as to their likely wage demands before any decision was taken. Many of htem will no doubt have mortgages to pay and may not want a big wage cut, preferring to try their luck elsewhere. Many of these conversations don't get into the public domain.

Having said that there aren't many of the discarded players I would have wanted us to keep anyway. Certainly not Quinn, who was 2 seasons past his best, and his best was only ever mediocre imho.