Released/Retained

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Released/Retained

Post by Isaac »

Sandwith and Killock to stay. In talks with Chapman.

The rest out of contract to go (implied with Haldane/Farrell or else we'd claim to be in talks with Rovers/York). Surprised about Willmott as he's looked good 2nd half of the season but perhaps wages/injuries count against him. Shame about Yemi, as he was a bit different and a trier, but it's understandable.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re: Released/Retained

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:Sandwith and Killock to stay. In talks with Chapman.

The rest out of contract to go (implied with Haldane/Farrell or else we'd claim to be in talks with Rovers/York). Surprised about Willmott as he's looked good 2nd half of the season but perhaps wages/injuries count against him. Shame about Yemi, as he was a bit different and a trier, but it's understandable.
It feels like last season all over again. I just hope CW knows what he's doing.

The only 2 I'm surprised at are Wilmott and Nelthorpe. The rest I'd already assumed would be on their way. Unfortunate for Quinn but I guess there's no room for sympathy in this game.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Major , major SURGERY again at Grenoble Road.

What have we got left ?

Turley, Batt, Foster, Clist, Murray, Constable.

Possibly Kev Sandwith, Shane Killock &amp Adam Chapman.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Major , major SURGERY again at Grenoble Road.

What have we got left ?

Turley, Batt, Foster, Clist, Murray, Constable.

Possibly Kev Sandwith, Shane Killock &amp Adam Chapman.
Yes, but is it really 'major surgery'? How many who have been released are actual first 11 starters? Wilmott?

Hutchinson and Yemi and Wilmott went because of their wages. (I bet Quinn wasn't cheap either.) I reckon the club have saved c £120K p.a on these 3 ALONE. Wilder will bring in 6 good players for £120K pa.

Let the man get on with it, I hear he has several new signings already lined up. There will be no mid July panic.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Good Div 5 players get £20K a year? Are you sure?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:Good Div 5 players get £20K a year? Are you sure?
Maybe that's too little in hindsight.

Howver, there's some big earners that have gone. OxVox were told there would be natural wastage re the wage bill in the close season, well that is clearly evident. I reckon that the squad next year will be 19/20 || kids.

The wage bill vis a vis last year will be significantly trimmed but there wll be more depth and versatility, let the wily Wilder get on with it.

Good luck to all the departees, particularly Yemi and Wilmott. They've been good servants and I am sure we'll see both of them as Blue Square opponents . I bet you Yemi goes to Eastbourne or some such, while Wilmott will rock up somewhere in Northamptonshire. (Rushden anyone?)

Hutchinson will resign for Brentford and be the mainstay of their League 1 promotion bid, Quinn will become a bookie, Day a male model, Haldane will go off on a seaason long loan at Forest Green and score a hat trick against us next season, Nelthorpe will end up at York City or an equivalent Northern hell hole.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

One thing I won't miss next season is Yemi in classical pose after spurning a golden chance or hitting the first defender with an attempted cross when through in the right channel.

You know that pose: closed eyes, holding both hands on top of head for about thirty seconds, frustration written all over him, realisation that he's in for a b@llocking from the manager....etc.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I'm gutted about Yemi - because I enjoy watching him, and he reminds me of my cat
Surprised about Wilmott
Bit disappointed about Nelthorpe, is Deering better? They'd be a good combo.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Disappointed for Wilmott as he has had a great end of season, and for Yemi as he's goodto watch when he's on form (but I appreciate he lacks consistency*) but I guess they were too expensive (although they needn't be next season). Surprised that Sandwith got a deal as he hasn't impressed me at all.

My 12 year old had tears in her eyes when I told her that her new heart-throb Nelly was on his way but presumably Deering will fill that spot (in the team i mean)
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:There will be no mid July panic.
Indeed. For the last couple of years we’ve told to not panic when all the best talent got snapped up while we waited for Jim to end his six week holiday in Spain each summer.

As for the list, then I think Wilmott was getting very close to being past it, Sandwith I don’t rate much - and then there is the enigma that is Yemi. Somehow I don’t think we’ve seen or heard the last of Mr Odubade so let’s hope he doesn’t join a long list of released players who come back to haunt Us.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I am surprised that Sandwith is not being let go (albeit on very few matches watched since his arrival) and relieved that Nelthorpe is going (he has some positives but too many negatives for me, especially his temperament). The rest of the list I am not surprised about. What has surprised me is how sanguine I am about the departure of so many defenders in one go. In previous seasons, with other managers, this has not only worried me but I think has come back to bite us. Bottom line is, I have more faith in CW knowing what he is doing and bringing in the right players than I have had in any manager in a very long time.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:I'm gutted about Yemi - because I enjoy watching him, and he reminds me of my cat.
What? Lazy, unpredictable and goes missing for long periods, but can be hugely entertaining at times.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Yemi is many things but not lazy. I think we'll miss him badly
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Yemi is many things but not lazy. I think we'll miss him badly
That depends, presumably, on who Wilder brings in. If he can get a couple of decent goalscorers to play up front with Beano and two or three fast wingers who can deliver decent croses to complement LSD, then I'm not sure that we will miss him in a footballing sense. One way we will miss him (possibly) is in a folk-hero sense. My son Jason was gutted that Yemi has gone, even though he realises that ability-wise Yemi's not the best. Just because he's a player that gets you on your feet when he's got the ball even though 9 times out of 10 he does nowt with it.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Hummmm... It does indeed depend on who CW brings in. Wingers? I guess not. Let's not forget the CW is known for grinding out 1-0 wins and I wonder if his post-match remarks on RadOx on Sunday about doing whatever it takes to get out of this &quotpoxy&quot league is his way of setting the fans up for a season of hoof-ball, ruffian 1-0 wins next season. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

To be honest, I don't care so long as it works and we can get out of this &quotpoxy&quot league.