Gray day

Anything yellow and blue
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

re: Grebis

Listening on the net, both anoouncers plus Bash (who was commentating) thought Grebis was quite good, getting stuck in, harrying the Grays back line into a number of poor passes. In fact, they seemed to think he was inspiring Duffy to show the same (presumably he hasn't been doing this). They noted he faded as the match went on but thought he would be a good signing once he gets some match fitness.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Just had lunch with my 79 year old mother. Half way through she looked at me and said 'how is that mumbling drunk going to ever sort out your team'?

Apparently Jim wasn't very coherent in his post match interview.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:So, you didn't spot the bit just before half time when the ref had a word with Grebis and pointed to about 5 areas of the pitch where he had given fouls against him?
Yes I saw that and you are right but I still think he was ineffective, if he had been fully fit I'm fairly sure those fouls would have been good tackles and we'd have been talking about him totally differently.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:So, you didn't spot the bit just before half time when the ref had a word with Grebis and pointed to about 5 areas of the pitch where he had given fouls against him?
Yes I saw that and you are right but I still think he was ineffective, if he had been fully fit I'm fairly sure those fouls would have been good tackles and we'd have been talking about him totally differently.
That's fair enough. I just thought it was a bit harsh for him to be criticised for not challenging for the ball when he got pulled up a number of times for doing just that but overzealously!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Why did Smith even bother to put Tucker on the bench if he isnt going to use when the main keeper gets injured - surely having Dempster on there would be much more useful to the stubborn one?

What was he scared of - did he think that Tucker might have an attack of nerves and punch a ball he should have claimed directly to an opposing player to equalise?
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Why did Smith even bother to put Tucker on the bench if he isnt going to use when the main keeper gets injured - surely having Dempster on there would be much more useful to the stubborn one?

What was he scared of - did he think that Tucker might have an attack of nerves and punch a ball he should have claimed directly to an opposing player to equalise?
Were you at the game?

1 The 'mistake' you refer to was really not that bad. The opponent should have been closed down quicker by defenders coming out.

2 Turley did not seem particualrly injured anyway.
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:Why did Smith even bother to put Tucker on the bench if he isnt going to use when the main keeper gets injured - surely having Dempster on there would be much more useful to the stubborn one?

Were you at the game?

1 The 'mistake' you refer to was really not that bad. The opponent should have been closed down quicker by defenders coming out.

2 Turley did not seem particualrly injured anyway.

First away game in a while:

2 points lost.

1 shot on goal and we score - then we don't shoot again!

Looked a bit more effort going in - but no great quality. Someone near me said the state of the pitch would bring us down to their level. Not sure on that as in parts - they looked quite good.

Grebis - didn't see enough of him in an hour to judge but generally looked ok, if lacking a bit of pace. Hope an improvement in fitness ehlps.

Their 2nd goal - correct, the opponent should have been closed down, but, would a fit Turley have saved it? Having said that, the state of the goalmouth could not have helped.

Mind you, the &quotinjury&quot became much more apparent when that ball hit the back of the net.

Oh well - roll on Monday
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

Every report of the game I've read noted that Turley was struggling with injury, the main site confirms it again today.
Many commentators, including the manager himself, were of the opinion that Turley should have caught the original cross.
Many, including the club site report, posed the question as to whether the injury muddied his decision making for the cross and/or hindered him in making the follow up save.

My point was simple - Smith is clearly scared of using the youngsters he has on the bench, presumably because he fears their inexperience or nervousness may lead to them making mistakes.

But, he appears blind to the fact that leaving players on the pitch who are playing out of position, being rushed back early from injury, carrying a knock picked up in the game or just having a plain bad day at the office, means that they could be even less effective or more prone to make a mistake than the youngster, let alone any further injury damage they are doing to themselves.

Which is better, take Turley off when the injury occured and play Tucker for 30 mins in a game we are leading, to give Turley the maximum chance of being fit for Tuesday or leave a potentially restricted Turley on and risk him making errors and perhaps worsening the injury so he cannot play any part three days later, meaning Tucker has to play the full 90 against Woking if Tardif doesn't recover?
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Every report of the game I've read noted that Turley was struggling with injury, the main site confirms it again today.
Many commentators, including the manager himself, were of the opinion that Turley should have caught the original cross.
Many, including the club site report, posed the question as to whether the injury muddied his decision making for the cross and/or hindered him in making the follow up save.

My point was simple - Smith is clearly scared of using the youngsters he has on the bench, presumably because he fears their inexperience or nervousness may lead to them making mistakes.

But, he appears blind to the fact that leaving players on the pitch who are playing out of position, being rushed back early from injury, carrying a knock picked up in the game or just having a plain bad day at the office, means that they could be even less effective or more prone to make a mistake than the youngster, let alone any further injury damage they are doing to themselves.

Which is better, take Turley off when the injury occured and play Tucker for 30 mins in a game we are leading, to give Turley the maximum chance of being fit for Tuesday or leave a potentially restricted Turley on and risk him making errors and perhaps worsening the injury so he cannot play any part three days later, meaning Tucker has to play the full 90 against Woking if Tardif doesn't recover?

I repeat. Turley did not seem particularly badly injured. I have no problems with Smith's decision to keep him on. No one else in the Oxford end seemed particularly bothered that he remained on the field either.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

[quote=&quotMooro&quot]Every report of the game I've read noted that Turley was struggling with injury, the main site confirms it again today.

I don't think the calf injury was a factor because he didn't have to move far to punch it. It was hit more or less straight at him.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

As Grebis was brought in to score goals it would help if we could have created one chance for him. He looks like he could link the play pretty well once he gets settled in and knows our very odd system.

Turley couldn't seem to run without hopping yet he still managed to take all the goal kicks - very odd. He should have caught it but he nearly always punches it you just don't expect somone to put it in the top corner at this level.

We need someone who can take a player on and stick a decent ball in the box. Yemi is our only player who can beat someone with skill - we'd not even be in the play-offs without him this season.

Two poor teams and a draw was a fair result, teams are no longer scared of us, no longer sit back and consequently we are not winning the types of game which we used to.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:[No one else in the Oxford end seemed particularly bothered that he remained on the field either.
Except for me. I made comment to my fellow travellers that he should be taken off. He looked restricted in his movement to me quite a while before the second goal went in and was not kicking the dead balls as freely as he usually does.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Yemi is our only player who can beat someone with skill - we'd not even be in the play-offs without him this season.
Disagree - Burgess can too. The difference is that Yemi has pace and Burgess does not.

I reckon most teams in this league have about the same number of players as we do who can &quotbeat someone with skill.&quot Given our alleged spending power I would expect us to have more than the rest.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Yemi is our only player who can beat someone with skill - we'd not even be in the play-offs without him this season.
Disagree - Burgess can too. The difference is that Yemi has pace and Burgess does not.

I reckon most teams in this league have about the same number of players as we do who can &quotbeat someone with skill.&quot Given our alleged spending power I would expect us to have more than the rest.
I dunno when was the last time you saw Burgess go past someone? Burgess is good at putting a quality ball in but always does it before he goes past someone - much like Beckham.

A few players have given us problems if they run at us this season - the bloke with a poncy haircut who was brought on as sub on Sat being a good example it was a foul on him that they got their second goal from.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotty cobb]

I dunno when was the last time you saw Burgess go past someone? Burgess is good at putting a quality ball in but always does it before he goes past someone - much like Beckham.

A few players have given us problems if they run at us this season - the bloke with a poncy haircut who was brought on as sub on Sat being a good example it was a foul on him that they got their second goal from.[/quote]

Obviously not seen Burgess for a couple of games now but my recollection is that he can get past the first defender with skill (when he has his mind on the game) before delivering a quality pass.