Gray day

Anything yellow and blue
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Gray day

Post by DLT »

I will go first.

Crap game from two teams with no quality.

Took us 80minutes to win a corner.

We looked narrow, slow and dull.

Turley will be blamed for punching rather than catching. Amazing how he starts limping after each mistake.

Anaclet, needs replacing. Got in a position to deliver crosses into the box several times. Failed to put in any quality.

Brevett, far too defensive, offered nowt going forward, meaning we stayed too narrow.

Quinn, terrific, busy and determined.

Santos is big and strong, which we need. But he is cumbersome.

Gilly, didn't really catch my eye until I noticed he wasn't picking up any of their players at a corner.

Rose, was poor. Didn't make any impression until last ten minutes.

Hargreaves, better than last week. Very destructive for both them and US.

Pettefer, par for course.

Duffer, good goal. Not strong enough overall. But better than last week.

Grebis.Don't want to be too critical after one game but he was weak in his battles. Soft,undetermined debut.

Yemi, supersub. Wish Johnson had been brought on with him.

The pitch was sticky I know but we should show better quality.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Don’t disagree with that.

We have one player with pace and that player has been playing pretty well. Wrong decision to leave him on the bench IMHO.

How many times do we have to go on about the f****ing crap ineffective dire wing back system. Jim &amp coaching staff wake up and smell the bloody coffee. Changing it by bringing Day on made no difference whatsoever.

Grebis - ?????. Not played for quite a while so why start with him? First 10 mins he was looking for flashy flicks that were so utterly brilliant that his team mates could not read them or perhaps they were just rubbish. Not quick. Didn’t seem to have the heart for the battle. Ariel strength – I didn’t notice it. And a ludicrous dive in front of us near the half way line. But obviously (as we say every time) not fair to write a player off after one game. Two guys stood near us did so though. Worryingly they want him to get back in the container he entered the country in. Support needed not abuse.

Turley – I thought he was injured and ought to have been taken off. Sods law ain’t it – 2 goalkeepers of first team caliber all season then both have injuries at the same time.

No improvement today – we do not seem to be going in the right direction. Jim has not found the answers. Incapable of holding a twice taken lead we are convincing no one that we are up to it at the moment.

Overall a 4 out of 10 from me. We didn’t loose and are still just the 3 pts behind D&ampG. Plus York lost but the pack are closing, albeit slowly. If we don’t start winning soon it does not take a genius to know we will soon be overtaken by more of the runners and riders.
Last edited by Baboo on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

The pitch was a pudding and the wind was dodgy. Application and comnitment was there today. You are never going to be able to outfootball teams on days like today.

Yemi should have been on at half time. Grebis could do a job. He has the physique and puts in the effort. Maybe not yet match fit though. Give him a few games please!

Duffy played well. No service from midfield. Rose was ten feet deep in the mud seemingly. Pettifer anonymous. Hargreaves the pick with some drive and passion shown.

Both Grays goals were fluky. They were a poor team. We could have done with a spawny win but no compiaints from me re final result.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Duffy played well.
Yes - I have just been pondering positives &amp Duffer was one. Quality strikers goal. Created out of nothing. Penalty - as cool and effective as ever. Plus he had another good header narrowly wide. No one else had an effort anywhere near their goal from what I remember.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I agree with some of what has been said, but not all.

Turley was limping all through the second half and well before their second goal. However, having reached the ball there was no reason not to catch it. Not all his fault though as no one closed the Grays player down and he had all the time in the world to shoot. So primarily Turley's fault, but not entirely.

It was Turley's only mistake in the match, and the injury didn't prevent him catching the ball. 6/10

I reckon both Tardif and Burgess are in negotiations for moves to other clubs and are not being played to avoid injury.

Brevett is a bit of a waste of space at the moment, and I rate Johnson's form in similar fashion. Neither have the pace or stamina to play wing back. Full backs at best. If we must stick with wing backs, I'd rather have Anaclet on the left and Yemi on the right, but as has already been said, this sytem ain't working. 3/10

Gilly played pretty well generally, but he can be a little slow to react. In open play virtually nothing got past him. Not so sure about set plays. I hadn't noticed anything in particular, but I'll be on the look out now. 5/10

Quinn, excellent. 9/10

Fast Eddie (Eddie Odhiamba Antacleterer according to the announcer in the first half, just Eddie in the second half!). As has been said, he is disappointing. He all too often stops mid run, apparently afraid of taking on the full back. Well, if he is under instruction to do that because he isnt quick enough, that is a nail in the coffin of the system. If he is stopping mid-run because of lack of confidence, then that is Jim's area to deal with. I'd rather see him take on the full back and lose the ball occassionally than virtually never take the full back on. If it turned out that he lost the ball regularly, then we have to conclude he isn't good enough. When he does get into position, the crosses are poor. 4/10

Georges Santos. Very strong in the air, but slow and cumbersome. OK as a reserve centre back, not as first choice. 4/10

Pettefer, excellent. 8/10

Rose. The game went on around him a bit. Hard to put my finger on why. He still showed some neat passing and good tackling, at times, but wasn't involved as much as previously. He didn't really make any significant mistakes. 6/10

Hargreaves. His sort of game. A real battling performance. Won virtually everything. When he plays like this, its hard to leave him out. Trouble is, he only plays like this for 1 in 5 games. 9/10

Duffy. Took his first goal really well. I shouted to him to turn and shoot, and he did, so I'm taking the credit for that goal :lol: . Penalty was as assured as ever. Poor own goal for their first. If he had left it, Turley would have got it. His general play was improved, but still not up to standard. He is losing the diving habit which is good, but like Rose today, he needs to get involved more, and he needs to work on his pace. His team contribution isn't the best, but he was getting in some good positions. In fairness to all the strikers, the service they got was non-existent, with the midfield defending way too deep and virtually on top of the back line. Duffy gets 7/10

Grebis. Wasn't afraid to put the leg work in and showed a few nice touches. Didn't really challenge for the ball though. And showed no sign of any pace. With little service from the team generally, it was little surprise that he was ineffective. First game though is hard to judge. It will take hm time to get used to the style of the team and the oppositions and the conditions and pace of the games. 5/10

Yemi again showed why we can't play without him. His pace is simply astonishing to opposition teams and forces their back lines to retreat a further 5 - 10 yards to cover it, creating more space for us to play in. He must start every game. 8/10

Day did OK, without shining. 5/10

Overall, I didn't think the pitch was as bad as some are suggesting. A little bit bobbly in the goal mouths, but nowhere near as bad as Dagenham, Stafford and Gravesend.

Grays facilities were well maintained, if a little lacking in space. Good view from the seats.

Referee was one of the better ones though he got a little fussy towards the end.

It was a battle and Grays may have had more territory, but they did nothing with it. Neither side showed enough class and we gifted Grays their goals, but the result reflected the balance of play.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Can't believe what I'm reading here about Grebis.

To my mind, he gave Duffy a lesson in getting stuck in. Made a refreshing change to see a striker moving to the ball rather than just waiting it to come to him. &quotWeak in his battles&quot? Tosh. Got booked for persistent fouling because he was too strong in the challenge. Once he gets match fit, the signs so far are that he could be vaery good indeed. Only criticism I would support is about the lack of pace.

Agree with ResOx about Hargreaves - a good solid performance and seemed to link up with Grebis well (perhaps the similar hair helps!).

Tactically, we must be the only team that pack the midfield with 5 and consistently lump it straight over their heads. A waste.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

There seems to be a limit on posting length (yes, yes, I know all the jokes)

This is the end of what I was writing:

Overall, I didn't think the pitch was as bad as some are suggesting. A little bit bobbly in the goal mouths, but nowhere near as bad as Dagenham, Stafford and Gravesend. I didn't notice any wind issues.

Grays facilities were well maintained, if a little lacking in space. Good view from the seats.

Referee was one of the better ones though he got a little fussy towards the end.

It was a battle and Grays may have had more territory, but they did nothing with it. Neither side showed enough class and we gifted Grays their goals, but the result reflected the balance of play.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:Can't believe what I'm reading here about Grebis.

To my mind, he gave Duffy a lesson in getting stuck in. Made a refreshing change to see a striker moving to the ball rather than just waiting it to come to him. &quotWeak in his battles&quot? Tosh. Got booked for persistent fouling because he was too strong in the challenge. Once he gets match fit, the signs so far are that he could be vaery good indeed. Only criticism I would support is about the lack of pace.

Agree with ResOx about Hargreaves - a good solid performance and seemed to link up with Grebis well (perhaps the similar hair helps!).

Tactically, we must be the only team that pack the midfield with 5 and consistently lump it straight over their heads. A waste.
Grebis was booked for jumping at a player rather than at the ball. Nothing to do with him being strong in the tackle. In fact, I don't think he made a single tackle in the match.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

Grebis was booked for jumping at a player rather than at the ball. Nothing to do with him being strong in the tackle. In fact, I don't think he made a single tackle in the match.
So, you didn't spot the bit just before half time when the ref had a word with Grebis and pointed to about 5 areas of the pitch where he had given fouls against him?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

So, you didn't spot the bit just before half time when the ref had a word with Grebis and pointed to about 5 areas of the pitch where he had given fouls against him?
Err no.

The ref was probably pointing out to Grebis where he ought to run to get on the end of the ball!! :D
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Gray day

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Anaclet, needs replacing. Got in a position to deliver crosses into the box several times. Failed to put in any quality.

Brevett, far too defensive, offered nowt going forward, meaning we stayed too narrow.
I thought this was going to be an A-Z of how crap we were.
entirely disenchanted
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Overall, I didn't think the pitch was as bad as some are suggesting. A little bit bobbly in the goal mouths, but nowhere near as bad as Dagenham, Stafford and Gravesend.
I have a photograph that proves the goal mouth at the Oxford end was rather worse than just being a little bit bobbly.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Overall, I didn't think the pitch was as bad as some are suggesting. A little bit bobbly in the goal mouths, but nowhere near as bad as Dagenham, Stafford and Gravesend.
I have a photograph that proves the goal mouth at the Oxford end was rather worse than just being a little bit bobbly.

It was like a pigsty rutting area wasn't it? Post the photo up.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotResurrection Ox
It was like a pigsty rutting area wasn't it? Post the photo up.[/quote]

Might take some time to do so. I'll need some technical advice. I'll have a word with Junior.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »