West Ham eh?

Anything yellow and blue
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Hopefully the game won't be on Tuesday OR Wednesday as I'll be stuck in Liverpool. Monday night would do me nicely!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotboris&quot wrote:My only previous trip to Upton Park was to see us play Charlton Athletic, who were squatting between moving from Selhurst Park to the Valley. This makes Charlton one of just two (I think) teams who I've seen play home games at three different grounds.
OK I'll take the bait - Was the other Bristol Rovers?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I saw a 3-5 goalfest at Upton Park around November 1992 when a certain Julian Dicks was in his pomp, a 0-1 away league defeat in April 1986
and that League Cup defeat as holders in Octoner 1986 plus I think I saw a certain Jim Magilton make his debut there in 1990?
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I saw a 3-5 goalfest at Upton Park around November 1992 when a certain Julian Dicks was in his pomp, a 0-1 away league defeat in April 1986
and that League Cup defeat as holders in Octoner 1986 plus I think I saw a certain Jim Magilton make his debut there in 1990?
God that 5-3 game was a classic. We were seriously unlucky not to get something from that game too. There are some highlights on Youtube, if memory serves, with some hilarious commentary. I seem to recall Joey Maggleton score one of our goals, according to the commentator. Joey's half volley was mind-blowingly brilliant, and him and Chrissy Allen were on fire that day. One of my favourite-ever games.

---

I've been to a few games there over the years, but my other abiding memory was a 1-1 draw in our last season in the top division, and Colin Greenall's stunning debut. I was convinced he'd be a great signing. I went to a mate's party in Stockwell that night, drank two cans of Tennants Extra (as a 16 year old) and threw up all over his bathroom.

---

Given that we are a much better team now than when we beat Charlton, and West Ham aren't much better than Charlton were then, and that the league cup is worth even less to the top flight now than it was then, a win isn't completely unlikely.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:My only previous trip to Upton Park was to see us play Charlton Athletic, who were squatting between moving from Selhurst Park to the Valley. This makes Charlton one of just two (I think) teams who I've seen play home games at three different grounds.
I would have thought Wimbledon more likely
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:
Mally's right, you're wrong.

Any other teams we've played who would fit the bill? Brighton?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

well on the West Ham fixture list for August, the match is on Tuesday 24th August, but they are playing Oxford City :(

Sat 14 15:00 A Aston Villa PREM
Sat 21 15:00 H Bolton PREM
Tue 24 19:45 H Oxford City LGCP
Sat 28 17:30 A Man Utd PREM
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: OK I'll take the bait - Was the other Bristol Rovers?

I accept I am wrong - nothing unusual about that - I was thinking of Kingston last year, Plough Lane and Selhurst Park for Wimbledon as an answer to your question.

Something else to ponder whilst it is brain-racking time.

I believe I have seen OUFC play Wimbledon in EACH of the top 5 levels of English Football ( I can go back to our Southern League days). Last year Luton joined that elite band when they played us in the BSP. Are their any others?

No googlers please- it spoils the fun.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:well on the West Ham fixture list for August, the match is on Tuesday 24th August, but they are playing Oxford City :(

Probably the Bobby Moore connection that's confusing them but they really should know better at West Ham Town.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: I would have thought Wimbledon more likely

I accept I am wrong - nothing unusual about that - I was thinking of Kingston last year, Plough Lane and Selhurst Park for Wimbledon as an answer to your question.

Something else to ponder whilst it is brain-racking time.

I believe I have seen OUFC play Wimbledon in EACH of the top 5 levels of English Football ( I can go back to our Southern League days). Last year Luton joined that elite band when they played us in the BSP. Are their any others?

I don't think Wimbledon counts as they are two different clubs.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:well on the West Ham fixture list for August, the match is on Tuesday 24th August, but they are playing Oxford City :(

Probably the Bobby Moore connection that's confusing them but they really should know better at West Ham Town.
Just sent them an email to complain and explain how insulting this is.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: Something else to ponder whilst it is brain-racking time.

I believe that Carlisle United are the only other team who have played in all five professional divisions, but Oxford and Luton are the only sides to have played each other in all five divisions. This is just one of many fascinating facts to be found in the forthcoming Oxford United Miscellany, by the way :wink:
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: Something else to ponder whilst it is brain-racking time.

I believe that Carlisle United are the only other team who have played in all five professional divisions, but Oxford and Luton are the only sides to have played each other in all five divisions. This is just one of many fascinating facts to be found in the forthcoming Oxford United Miscellany, by the way :wink:
I'm wrong again - twice in one day - I wonder what the record is for being wrong?

It appears West Ham are not the only ones confusing United and City. Perhaps my vague memory of Wimbledon in the 50's is at the White House Ground - Isthmian League.

And Boris - if you make your next book a ringed loose-leaf binder that can be updated I am interested.

I have yet to get my head round the need for a reference book that cannot be updated.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:

Just sent them an email to complain and explain how insulting this is.
They probably think Joey Beauchamp still plays for us...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

Oxford City? (I know, it's probably not what you meant. Besides, it's probably 4 or 5!)