19%
None of the above
75%

Total votes: 16

tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:The best company structure would probably be a Community Benefit Society (BenCom) with an Asset Lock.

This would allow you to have votes based on membership rather than share ownership (think Barcelona). &quotCommunity Benefit&quot has a much looser definition than the &quotPublic Good&quot required for charities - basically, so long as it doesn't discriminate against anyone or engage in political activity it would pass. The &quotAsset Lock&quot part would guarantee that the assets of the company would belong to the community, not the members.

The day-to-day running of the club could be done by a members-elected Chairman, and a permanent appointed Chief Executive.

This could be set up now, without a playing staff (or operational staff at all), and used as a fund-raising vessel until such time as the company is either in a position to buy the existing club, or the club goes completely bust, in which case there would be a fightiing fund to set up a new club. In the event that a new, super-rich owner comes along and financially bails out the present mess (don't hold your breath), the society could either keep going and continue to raise funds (because the fans will never be happy until the fans own the club), or wind itself up and give the money to e.g. the youth section (perhaps set up a trust and sponsor young players)
Excellent again. this is the kind of thing we have to be looking at. We must make it clear that there is no intention of creating a club to compete with the official one and for there to be no reasons for fans to split alligencies or have divided loyalties. I like very much the FC United (Manchester) constiution which is based on one member, one vote. its a not-for-profit organisation (when's the last time OUFC made a profit anyway?) and its constitution commits it to strong links with the local community.

As an aside I see AFC Wimbledon are already in contention for promotion to the conference. I think the time to start Oxford Pheonix would be if/when AFC Wimbledon reach the conference whilst we are either still struggling in it or fill their position in the Conference South. It would be an omen: we could do it better alone but United.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote: As an aside I see AFC Wimbledon are already in contention for promotion to the conference. I think the time to start Oxford Pheonix would be if/when AFC Wimbledon reach the conference whilst we are either still struggling in it or fill their position in the Conference South. It would be an omen: we could do it better alone but United.
If you're implying that we could start a new club and immediately take our place in the Conference South then I'm afraid that's not realistic. A new club would have to argue their case if they were to join any league not at the very foot of the Pyramid. Realistically, I suspect the best that any new club could hope for would be a place in the Hellenic League first division. Remember that both AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester both began way down the Pyramid, and have had the necessary success on the field to generate a rapid rise. There are no guarantees that an Oxford Phoenix (or whatever) would have similar success, and the club would have to be prepared to play at a very low level for some time, if not forever.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

The rule of thumb on these things (although, like many other things in non-league, not set in stone) appears to be:
- if a 'new' club is directly replacing an old club that has folded (eg. Halifax) then it can join the pyramid three levels below the previous incarnation (ie. Southern League Div 1 South West alongside Didcot and Abingdon Tn and one level below Oxford City, Banbury and Brackley).
- if it is a separate entity, then in theory it should start at Step 7 (which for us would be the Oxon Senior League). In certain circumstances, either where a suitable Step 7 league does not exist, or predicted crowd numbers would prove inappropriate for other clubs at that level, then a case could be made for starting at Step 6 (Hellenic Div 1 West).
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

you're quite right but not my implication