U-20 world cup this Summer

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

U-20 world cup this Summer

Post by slappy »

Max Crocombe selected in the New Zealand U-20 squad.

Rob Hall picked for the England provisional squad, together with Connor Ripley and Jake Forster-Caskey. Sam Byram, who scored against us in the Carling Cup for Leeds also features.
England Squad:
Goalkeepers: Jamal Blackman (Chelsea), Sam Johnstone (Man United), George Long (Sheffield United), Connor Ripley (Middlesbrough) Defenders Jake Bidwell (Everton), Sam Byram (Leeds), Donervorn Daniels (West Brom), Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Michael Keane (Man United), Jamaal Lascelles (Nottingham Forest), Liam Moore (Leicester City), Daniel Potts (West Ham), Adam Reach (Middlesbrough), Jack Robinson (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Tom Thorpe (Man United) Midfielders Ross Barkley (Everton), Gael Bigirimana (Newcastle), Jake Caskey (Brighton &amp Hove Albion), Conor Coady (Liverpool), Larnell Cole (Man United), John Lundstram (Everton), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham), James Ward-Prows
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Re: U-20 world cup this Summer

Post by Out of the gloom »

Selected games on Eurosport:

Sunday 23rd June 2013
England U20 v Iraq U20 19:00 British Eurosport / British Eurosport HD

Wednesday 26th June 2013
Uruguay U20 v New Zealand U20 16:00 British Eurosport 2 / British Eurosport 2 HD
Chile U20 v England U20 16:00 British Eurosport / British Eurosport HD

Saturday 29th June 2013
Croatia U20 v New Zealand U20 16:00 British Eurosport / British Eurosport HD
Egypt U20 v England U20 19:00 British Eurosport / British Eurosport HD

Link: http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-f ... sport.html
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I went to a couple of England games in the Under 20 World Cup (or World Youth Championship as it was then known) in Melbourne, Australia in 1993:

A group game against Turkey, in which bright young hope Julian Joachim scored the only goal, though my only real memory is of slight crowd disturbances when the Turkey fans in the stand set light to a Union flag and then threw eggs(!) at the England fans on the terrace

And a dull, goalless quarter final against Mexico, which England won on penalties and I injured my leg when the fence at the front of the terrace collapsed as England fans (barely) surged forwards to celebrate with the team at the end of the game.

Although my memories are clouded by the copious quantities of beer consumed, it's interesting to look back at how few of the squad made it to the England senior team. Joachim, Darren Caskey, Chris Bart-Williams and Adie Mike were particularly tipped at the time as I recall, and none of them really made it at international level.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Preview from the New Zealand Herald.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Max is now linked with the full squad.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

slappy wrote:Max is now linked with the full squad.
He didn't exactly cover himself in glory yesterday. His poor kicking led to at least one of the Iraqi goals.

Which is a shame. I have been a great admirer of his command of the area, his handling of crosses (Clarkes weakness) and other aspects. He must improve his distribution though.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Dartford Ox wrote:
slappy wrote:Max is now linked with the full squad.
He didn't exactly cover himself in glory yesterday. His poor kicking led to at least one of the Iraqi goals.

Which is a shame. I have been a great admirer of his command of the area, his handling of crosses (Clarkes weakness) and other aspects. He must improve his distribution though.
What I didnt realise until the weekend was that NZ were among the rank outsiders for this tournament, even before the match last night, so perhaps his overall performances will need to be judged with that in mind, though sounds like last night hasn't helped his cause..