Marsh Recalled

Anything yellow and blue
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Marsh Recalled

Post by Paul Cooper »

Tyrone Marsh has been recalled from Staines and is travelling with the squad to Accrington.

A little too late in my view but it would be good for him to get a start. It is a much lower standard of football but 9 goals in 16 games is a pretty decent return for him at Staines (plus his one at Oxford)
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Marsh Recalled

Post by recordmeister »

Being at Staines is always a blemish on your career record.... :roll:
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

Will he start, or will he be on the bench? On recent form, he'll probably score a hat-trick, win the MotM award and Wilder will snatch it off him and give it to a Heslop or a Smalley...
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:Will he start, or will he be on the bench? On recent form, he'll probably score a hat-trick, win the MotM award and Wilder will snatch it off him and give it to a Heslop or a Smalley...
Not sure about that. The MOM award on Saturday was laughable. No way was Crocombe MOM. The sponsors must hAve had a few too many beers I reckon!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

If I was going to use this to have a dig at Wilder, as many across the interweb appear prone to do at present, it would not be in terms of the Crocombe/Whing MOTM award, more that by recalling him now and playing him ahead of OD, COULD be seen as a bit of a snub to a lad who has waited patiently on the bench for the last few weeks, and then sees his chance go to someone else who has been getting game time on loan....

However, as I'm not, then all the more the merrier for the future of the YT at OUFC - hurrah!
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:Will he start, or will he be on the bench? On recent form, he'll probably score a hat-trick, win the MotM award and Wilder will snatch it off him and give it to a Heslop or a Smalley...
Is it just me or are a minority people looking to find a way to slag Wilder off for every single thing he does at the moment?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:
Is it just me or are a minority people looking to find a way to slag Wilder off for every single thing he does at the moment?
Nope. Not just you.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:
I'm more ambivalent towards Wilder than you make out. I'm broadly in the 'Out' camp, but if he's still in charge next season I'll give him a fair hearing. But I did think his actions at the weekend stunk (even if the award was ill-deserved, it doesn't do a youngster's confidence any good to take it away), and I think his treatment of home-grown youngsters has been shabby given how many unproven sub-standard loanees have jumped the queue ahead of them.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:I'm more ambivalent towards Wilder than you make out. I'm broadly in the 'Out' camp, but if he's still in charge next season I'll give him a fair hearing. But I did think his actions at the weekend stunk (even if the award was ill-deserved, it doesn't do a youngster's confidence any good to take it away), and I think his treatment of home-grown youngsters has been shabby given how many unproven sub-standard loanees have jumped the queue ahead of them.
I think you're being quite patronising to Crocombe. He'll know how meaningless the choice of the sponsor for MoM is, and he'll know that he played well in the match without deserving to be MoM.

Wilder's comments were in no way critical of Crocombe, they were clearly just praise for Andy Whing, a valuable player who is nearly out of contract.

Also the comments weren't terribly serious, is there even a physical MoM award? I don't know of one.

Wilder has taken a lot of criticism for not blooding the youngsters in the first team, and whatever your opinion on how justified that criticism is surely saying that Crocombe should be treated differently because he's a young player just divides the young players from the senior ones even more? By being able to make a joke in an interview Wilder has shown in part that Crocombe's age is irrevlevant to his position within the squad.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

I think you're assigning views to me regarding Crocombe which I've not expressed. Straw man arguments are below you, old chap.

My point is that if Wilder had kept his mouth shut, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Too often, he has piped up with criticism or implied criticism (even in jest) which could damage a young player's confidence. Crocombe may be a sensitive soul, he may not - bit why take the risk when saying nothing is the easier and safer option?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:My point is that if Wilder had kept his mouth shut, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Too often, he has piped up with criticism or implied criticism (even in jest) which could damage a young player's confidence. Crocombe may be a sensitive soul, he may not - bit why take the risk when saying nothing is the easier and safer option?
I don't think there was any criticism of Crocombe implied though, during that bit of the interview I'm pretty sure they weren't discussing Crocombe, they were discussing Whing, and Wilder was basically saying &quotthe sponsor was silly not to award Whing MoM&quot, not &quotthe sponsor was silly to award MoM to Crocombe&quot, two different statements, one implies criticism of Crocombe, one doesn't . I don't know how sensitive Crocombe is but I'm sure Wilder has a good idea and wouldn't want to knock his confidence.

You may have a point about Wilder criticising or implying criticism about young players, although personally I cannot recall any such instances.