Pretty good

Anything yellow and blue
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Pretty good

Post by Paul Cooper »

goals yesterday.

Where did they come from? Whings scissor kick, Rigg's fantastic run (how often do we concede from our own corner? Good to see it the other way round), and Beanos clinical finish.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Pretty good

Post by Sideshow Rob »

I am looking forward to a second look on Yellow Player. The BBC highlights do not do them justice, especially the the last goal which is only shown from about the half way line. Whing's goal needs to be seen in so motion. The technique is just a blur in low definition resolution.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

“All three goals were great,
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good post, that. Don't understand what Wilder's seeking to gain at all.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I think some people have an inordinate amount of belief in the &quotyoungsters&quot and that they will turn out to be the next stars, and use it as yet another stick to beat Wilder with. If they are good enough, they would be playing. Marsh was tried in a couple of cup games, the first of which we needed to sub him and bring Constable on to get through. These players train and play training matches with the first team. Remember 18/19 yr old Jamie Reid who scored 2 for Exeter on his full debut the other week. Prior to that he'd been on loan at Conference South side Dorchester for half the season, played half an hour against us, then no more games until the other week.

Crocombe has been in and around the first team squad for two years now. Clearly playing him now rather than McCormick is a sign that he will be full backup for Clarke next season rather than Brown.

As for Crocombe's MOM award, was it deserved? A clean sheet with perhaps two soft saves to make? For sentimental value, OK, like making Dubes captain for the day. Perhaps the praise for Whing was more of a sign of how much Wilder values him, and if Wilder does go, I reckon Wright and Whing would be top of his shopping list at his next club.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Without knowing the context in which Wilder &quottook the award off Crocombe&quot, I think it's a bit harsh to criticise him.

There is much for which Wilder could be legitimately criticised, but to effectively construct a &quotWilder undermines youth player&quot scenario from a little over a dozen words in a media report just looks like an excuse to engineer more criticism.

I'd wager that the incident was more in the context of dressing room banter rather than a serious attempt to recognise Whing's contribution above Crocombe's.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

To be honest Crocombe's MOM award was totally ridiculous. It was greeted with laughter of derision round where I was sitting.

That is not to criticise Crocombe- he did what he needed to do pretty well. But he had to cope with shots right at him and a couple of testing crosses. He has had little to do it appears from his 3 appearances. That is not bad as he is gaining experience. But MOM?
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

Slappy - I'd be the first to agree that not all youngsters are up to it, and I've said on here in the past that Wilder sees much more of them than us and it is his right to decide whether or not they're ready.

BUT... It cannot be argued that Wilder has been very reluctant to give them a chance. Look at the well-documented list of loan signings, each one of which represents a youth player not being given a run. Look at the reticence to start youngsters even now when our season has been long over. Look at the treatment of Crocombe above. The narrative is not one of a manager prepared to try home-grown talent ahead of short-term, here today and gone tomorrow, loans.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

&quotslappy&quot wrote: Perhaps the praise for Whing was more of a sign of how much Wilder values him, and if Wilder does go, I reckon Wright and Whing would be top of his shopping list at his next club.
Which Conference club will be able to afford them? (tee hee!)
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotHog&quot wrote: Which Conference club will be able to afford them? (tee hee!)
Oxford City?? :roll:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

The owner interfering with the team selection is rarely a good thing. But it wouldn't be difficult to state that there's a club policy that any fit youth players will be selected for the minor cup (e.g. the JPT at this level) Genuine first-team experience in a competition that no-one is too upset if we go out.

And of course, the incentive for the youngsters is that a win and progression equals more chance to show their wares, which will give those games a little more of an edge, and also a reason for the fans to go and see the new bloods in action.