pre-match music

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

pre-match music

Post by slappy »

I think we are all agreed that music after goals is a bit tin-pot, but is anyone else getting a bit bored of our pre-match music at the Kasstad? That Kings of Leon song is a few years old now, and we don't seem to play very much that is an 'Oxford' song. The Kids Are United perhaps counts.

Other clubs seem to play something which identifies with the area:-
Morecambe FC - Bring Me Sunshine (Morecambe and Wise)
Port Vale - Let Me Entertain You (Robbie Williams is a Vale shareholder and fan)
Crewe Alexander - Sunchyme / Carnaval de Paris (band is named Dario G after the manager Gradi)

There are plenty of local bands to choose from, Ride, Supergrass, Radiohead etc. Or we could have some songs with Yellow in them.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Surely Bombalurina's 'Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' - I can't think of any other UK number ones by a genuine Us fan......
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Please, please, please not that Coldplay song. It's terrible. Give me 'Sham '69 any day.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Brillant as Radiohead are, I'm not sure coming out to one of their songs would really set the right tone...

Oh for the days when we could still come out to Gary Glitter.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:Brillant as Radiohead are, I'm not sure coming out to one of their songs would really set the right tone...

Oh for the days when we could still come out to Gary Glitter.
No. but Let Down should be played after a defeat. The Candyskin's Wembley would be a good one to play or maybe Ride's OX4 (joking).
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:Ride's OX4 (joking).
or 'vapour trail' ('first you look so strong/then you fade away...').
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Can't the Club stump up a tenner for Nathan (or whoever it is) to go and get another CD? The current one is getting a bit over used now. I'm sure there'll be something in the bargain bucket.

I like the KoL song personally but maybe we do need something a bit more individual. Apart from the obvious songs with yellow in the title, nothing immediately springs to mind though.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

It's got to be the Theme from the Banana Splits!
or
Yellow Pearl by Phil Lynott
or
Bring back the black away shirt!
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

It's the pre-pre-pre match music that really does my head in. It's sooooooooooooooooooo last century.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Just been doing a little background research to try to come up with a suitable song with a historical connection (hindered slightly by not knowing the exact dates of certain events - any help Boris?)

Anyway (and apologies for the lack of quality of some of the results):

#1 on the day of the League Cup Final was George Michael &quotDifferent Corner&quot - so not a good start, but that had just replaced &quotLiving Doll&quot by Cliff Richard (and the Young Ones).
Interestingly, the first outing of &quotLiving Doll&quot came in 1959 (#1 between 31July-10Sept), which if memory serves was the year the club went professional and/or became Oxford United, so maybe a candidate??

Other possibles from 1986 are limited, with it definately being the year of either novelty or (wrong) colour songs (Chicken Song, Reet Petite, Lady in Red, True Blue) so forget those methinks. Final Countdown was also 1986, which would be good if not wholly original

#1 on teh day of the Playoff win was &quotGood Times&quot by Roll Deep, which may or may not be a good song to play, but as I have no idea what it sounds like then I'll have to leave that up to others.

Guessing the other key year for the club was 1962. Our first league game was in August with Frank Ifield's &quotI Remember you&quot(?) at #1, but a couple of decent instrumentals we could adopt were B Bumble and the Stingers with &quotNutRocker&quot and &quotTelstar&quot from the Tornadoes.

So my candidates would be:
i) Living Doll
ii) Good Times
iii) Nut Rocker
iv) Telstar
v) Final Countdown
so if any clever soul can post up links to these then maybe that could help us decide.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Just been doing a little background research to try to come up with a suitable song with a historical connection (hindered slightly by not knowing the exact dates of certain events - any help Boris?)
Judging by the front cover of today's programme I think Boris would be one of the last people you'd ask about exact dates!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I looked at the programme cover to se whether it was dated 29th January 2011 (the date of the original match) and saw bizarrely that it was dated 15th February 2011.

The programme is otherwise excellent although there was an article in
last night's edition that mentioned the WPL March 2006 takeover of OUFC
and it referred to previous directors Bill Smith and Brendan Nicholls rather than Brendan CROSS.

I've no idea who Brendan Nicholls is !