Rangers fan looking to follow Oxford

Anything yellow and blue
robbo1873
Embryo

Rangers fan looking to follow Oxford

Post by robbo1873 »

Well I'm a big Rangers fan but have recently moved from Glasgow to Witney.

Started paying some attention to Oxford United when I knew I was moving down and I fancy getting to my first game sometime soon.

What's the atmosphere/crowds like?? Is there anywhere good to go pre/post match for a pint?? Any supporters clubs etc?

Any other general advice??

Thanks in advance 8) :D
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Rangers fan looking to follow Oxford

Post by Hog »

&quotrobbo1873&quot wrote: Any other general advice??
Um, don't do it?
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Welcome to the forum, Mr Kinniburgh
Matthewjbutler
Brat

Post by Matthewjbutler »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
Um, don't do it?
Seems like an overtly sarcastic and pessimistic view in response to a genuine question. Plenty to love about Oxford I would suggest. Plenty of passion, good humour and currently a good footballing team. All welcome!
robbo1873
Embryo

Re:

Post by robbo1873 »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:Welcome to the forum, Mr Kinniburgh
I am not Steven Kinniburgh :lol:
robbo1873
Embryo

Post by robbo1873 »

&quotMatthewjbutler&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:
Um, don't do it?
Seems like an overtly sarcastic and pessimistic view in response to a genuine question. Plenty to love about Oxford I would suggest. Plenty of passion, good humour and currently a good footballing team. All welcome!
Yeah that's more the sort of answer I was looking for lol....
So, is there places to go before the game to make a day of it etc??
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
Um, don't do it?
Seems like an overtly sarcastic and pessimistic view in response to a genuine question.
Over a year and you still don't seem to have got the hang of this forum yet Butler!
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

&quotrobbo1873&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote: Um, don't do it?
Yeah that's more the sort of answer I was looking for lol....
So, is there places to go before the game to make a day of it etc??
If you want to make a day of it, how about this:
Morning: go bowling at Bowlplex, followed by lunch at Oxy Oriental or Frankie &amp Bennies. Then a couple of pints in the Priory before the game. After the match watch a film at the Vue and then supper at whichever of the above restaurants you didn't go to before. Sorted!
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

As a former regular at Pittodrie I'm here to say that you might struggle to cope with the superior standard of football you're going to be seeing in the English Fourth Division, but over time you'll miss the eight-manned massed defences and three-man knee-high tackling of the SPL and eventually even grow accustomed to seeing the ball on the deck and occasionally even passed to feet.

As for drinking - well as I'm assuming you're no longer 16 years old then you'll probably want to be giving the Eagle Vaults on the High Street a miss! Not sure you'll manage to find a drop of your dear old Vitamin T anywhere south of the Watford Gap, though.

Good luck and great to have you on board!
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotrobbo1873&quot wrote:Well I'm a big Rangers fan but have recently moved from Glasgow to Witney.

Started paying some attention to Oxford United when I knew I was moving down and I fancy getting to my first game sometime soon.

What's the atmosphere/crowds like?? Is there anywhere good to go pre/post match for a pint?? Any supporters clubs etc?

Atmosphere can be great if United are pushing on. Can get nervy quickly if we fall behind. Crowds for this level (or the next level up for that matter) are excellent. For the best atmosphere go behind the goal and try to get somewhere near the back in the middle.

For a beer before the game, I suggest your best bet is the Priory which is close to the open end. A good cross section in there but lively and friendly you should meet someone to chat to. The other bars are all fairly bland in my opinion.

Anyway enjoy and welcome
robbo1873
Embryo

Re:

Post by robbo1873 »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:As a former regular at Pittodrie I'm here to say that you might struggle to cope with the superior standard of football you're going to be seeing in the English Fourth Division, but over time you'll miss the eight-manned massed defences and three-man knee-high tackling of the SPL and eventually even grow accustomed to seeing the ball on the deck and occasionally even passed to feet.

As for drinking - well as I'm assuming you're no longer 16 years old then you'll probably want to be giving the Eagle Vaults on the High Street a miss! Not sure you'll manage to find a drop of your dear old Vitamin T anywhere south of the Watford Gap, though.

23 so 16 passed me a couple of years back :P

That is some jump in class to be fair to you from following Aberdeen to actually watching some football :D

As for the Tennents, I've been struggling so far but I'm sort of getting there now...

Thanks for the info/advice 8)
robbo1873
Embryo

Post by robbo1873 »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:
&quotrobbo1873&quot wrote:Well I'm a big Rangers fan but have recently moved from Glasgow to Witney.

Atmosphere can be great if United are pushing on. Can get nervy quickly if we fall behind. Crowds for this level (or the next level up for that matter) are excellent. For the best atmosphere go behind the goal and try to get somewhere near the back in the middle.

For a beer before the game, I suggest your best bet is the Priory which is close to the open end. A good cross section in there but lively and friendly you should meet someone to chat to. The other bars are all fairly bland in my opinion.

Anyway enjoy and welcome
Thanks - I've heard the priory mentioned a few times now so I'll definitely try there for a pint pre-match.

Going to get myself to the Aldershot game on the 9th October - hopefully see some of you there 8)
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:As a former regular at Pittodrie I'm here to say that you might struggle to cope with the superior standard of football you're going to be seeing in the English Fourth Division, but over time you'll miss the eight-manned massed defences and three-man knee-high tackling of the SPL and eventually even grow accustomed to seeing the ball on the deck and occasionally even passed to feet.

Not sure you have to give advice to a Glaswregian (terrible spelling, sorry) on where to drink, he will sniff any available booze out for himself!
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Prove it!
robbo1873
Embryo

Re:

Post by robbo1873 »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
Prove it!
Ehhh my name is Mark Robertson. There. Does that count as proof?

I am from East Kilbride though, as is Steven Kinniburgh.

:)