radio oxford statistics

Anything yellow and blue
womble
Brat

radio oxford statistics

Post by womble »

can someone please tell radio oxford to check the facts they put out over the airwaves i was informed that last night they announced that oufc had never won anything other than a friendly at aldershot please ask what happend at the football league trophy game i saw at the recreation ground in 1982-83 i thought we won 3-1 or perhaps my memory is going
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Womble - if it's in your little book it must be true.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Ahem, there is a website that has this sort of information.
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

baboo as the taffy max boyce said i was there
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

boris as radox shows the media (websites included can get things wrong) burtons site had a player who is not even playing for them this season darren stride as playing against us in the first game of the season this was also on soccerbase !!!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I did not go to the Rec in 1982 as I was on holiday in Torbay but I remember trying to find out the result which was difficult as the papers were full of Kevin Keegan signing for Newcastle United that month.

Was n't the 1982 Group Cup game a de facto pre season friendly, Womble
and therefore not a 'competitive' match?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

MY LAST FIVE GAMES AT THE REC FOLLOWING OXFORD:

1987 FA Cup 0-3

2007 BSP 1-1

2007 Setanta Shield 0-1

2008 BSP 0-1

2010 JPT 0-2

Our record there, generally, is terrible.
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

date 17/8/82 won 3-1 not a group cup game a(different competition) football league trophy game which our games started on the 14/08/82 and would have carried on after if we had qualified our final game was 21/8/82
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotwomble&quot wrote:date 17/8/82 won 3-1 not a group cup game a(different competition) football league trophy game which our games started on the 14/08/82 and would have carried on after if we had qualified our final game was 21/8/82
You're spot on !

But there was some confusion as some web sites state the FLT started in 1983/1984

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Football_League_Group_Cup
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:But there was some confusion as some web sites state the FLT started in 1983/1984
Including the Football League's... http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/L ... 55,00.html

It wasn't even called the FLT until '92

EDIT: my bad, the FL Group Cup was renamed the FL Trophy for the '82-'83 season, and was then replaced by the Associate Members Cup. But most sources seem to still call it the Group Cup in that season.

EDIT 2: OK, got to the bottom of it, the FL Trophy in '82-'83 first round was a group competition, and in our group was Reading, Bournemouth and ...... Aldershot. So there would have been a &quotFootball League Trophy&quot game vs. the Shots in that year. Here's the final table, from which we can deduce that we defintely beat them, since we only won one game, they didn't win any, and their other games were draws.

Code: Select all

PL   W  D  L  GF  GA  PTS
 1&#46 READING              3   2  1  0   9   6    7
 2&#46 AFC Bournemouth      3   1  1  1   7   6    4
 3&#46 Oxford Utd           3   1  0  2   4   6    3
 4&#46 Aldershot            3   0  2  1   6   8    2
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotwomble&quot wrote:boris as radox shows the media (websites included can get things wrong) burtons site had a player who is not even playing for them this season darren stride as playing against us in the first game of the season this was also on soccerbase !!!
Dude, Rage Online is never wrong*

*except when it is
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:[...]from which we can deduce that we defintely beat them[...]
Or, as Boris points out, we could just check the results section of this very website.

Why were all of our group games played away from home though?
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:[...]from which we can deduce that we defintely beat them[...]
Or, as Boris points out, we could just check the results section of this very website.

I just checked this on Wikipedia, another bastion of accuracy and it would appear that during an episode of Morse in July 82 an UXB from the 2nd world war was discovered to be settled just under the surface of the penalty box at the Cuckoo Lane end of the ground thus rendering the pitch unplayable for a number of weeks. It was removed on the 24th August and the Gillingham game went ahead.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:

I just checked this on Wikipedia, another bastion of accuracy and it would appear that during an episode of Morse in July 82 an UXB from the 2nd world war was discovered to be settled just under the surface of the penalty box at the Cuckoo Lane end of the ground thus rendering the pitch unplayable for a number of weeks. It was removed on the 24th August and the Gillingham game went ahead.
The Gillingham game was away - in fact our first home game wasn't until 4th Sept, so they could have left the bomb in place for another ten days. In fact , the UXB wasn't defused, but was lifted lock, stock, and barrel and buried elsewhere on the southern edge of the city - no one knows where for sure...
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: Or, as Boris points out, we could just check the results section of this very website.

The Gillingham game was away - in fact our first home game wasn't until 4th Sept, so they could have left the bomb in place for another ten days. In fact , the UXB wasn't defused, but was lifted lock, stock, and barrel and buried elsewhere on the southern edge of the city - no one knows where for sure...
Shoddy research on my part. I really must stop believing everything I read on Wikipedia