Robbie Mustoe

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Robbie Mustoe

Post by Isaac »

Saw a short piece on the midfield maestro on Sky Sports earlier. Is now a tv pundit in america. Came across as analytical, intelligent and thoughtful (said he learnt most from working alongside Bryan Robson at Boro). Probably makes a good pundit.

Never really did it for us did he? Left quite young as I remember and became a good premier league player but my overriding memory of him was that he was a much better player if he was dropped for a game and then brought back in.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I remember Mustoe being very good for us the season that he left. One of my favourite players at the time.

He must have been pretty good, as Boro paid quite a bit of money for him (by the standards of the day), didn't they?
yellowportly
Brat

Post by yellowportly »

His mum worked for the blood transfusion service and was chatting to me on the afternoon of the Boro cup replay ... whilst extracting a few ml of blood.

This story has no real relevance to this conversation but I thought I'd mention it.
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Very good player - local lad from Witney who took a training session at the Windrush leisure centre which I took part in - followed him ever since.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

You could see very early on that Mustoe was very calm and comfortable on the ball and had a good engine. He was an assured passer.

He had a super playing career and I always remember that when Middlesboro had the likes of Juninho, Emerson, Ravanelli, Merson etc
Bryan Robson said that Mustoe was their key player - the water carrier if you like.

Did he make his debut for United versus Liverpool circa 1987 ?