Jakey Wright, Wright, Wright

Anything yellow and blue
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Jakey Wright, Wright, Wright

Post by Ascension Ox »

How do you think he played GY? Still missing Foster and Creighton?

This was a good night's work against reasonably talented opponents. Wombles got it all wrong with their tactics. Taking us on like that would only ever mean one winner.

Hargreaves was .... gulp... sensational. I have never seen him play so well. Clist is a clever little player as well. He hardly ever wastes possession, no wonder he's first on Wilder's teamsheet.

Must stop gushing, otheriwse the tired old cynics will electronically try and beat me up now. Goodnight. :lol:
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Apart from one bit of miscommunication with Day that allowed Kedwell in for a 1-on-1 with Clarke, I thought that Wright oozed class last night. Him and Day both look comfortable on the ball and make a sea-change from the days when we used to have a centre-back pairing of Quinn and Matt Day *shudder*.

And was that the same Hargreaves who was such a donkey last time he was here? I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Not only did he get stuck in whenever he could (which you kind of expect of him) but he also won pretty much everything in the air, passed the ball intelligently, and made some great cushioned headers to Oxford players (certainly something I can't remember him doing before) to clear the danger.

Slight negatives for me last night were Green's finishing - both of those good chances he had in the 2nd half he snatched at when on both occasions he had time to control the ball and think about what he was doing - and Chapman's distribution. And Bulman getting dispossessed too easily on a couple of occasions, one of which almost led to a Wimbledon goal. Those aside, that's possibly the best attacking performance I've seen from the Yellows for quite some time.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Apart from one bit of miscommunication with Day that allowed Kedwell in for a 1-on-1 with Clarke, I thought that Wright oozed class last night. Him and Day both look comfortable on the ball and make a sea-change from the days when we used to have a centre-back pairing of Quinn and Matt Day *shudder*.

And was that the same Hargreaves who was such a donkey last time he was here? I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Not only did he get stuck in whenever he could (which you kind of expect of him) but he also won pretty much everything in the air, passed the ball intelligently, and made some great cushioned headers to Oxford players (certainly something I can't remember him doing before) to clear the danger.

Slight negatives for me last night were Green's finishing - both of those good chances he had in the 2nd half he snatched at when on both occasions he had time to control the ball and think about what he was doing - and Chapman's distribution. And Bulman getting dispossessed too easily on a couple of occasions, one of which almost led to a Wimbledon goal. Those aside, that's possibly the best attacking performance I've seen from the Yellows for quite some time.
Agree about Hargreaves if you are talking about the second half when I thought he played very well. In the first he kept getting to the ball/challenge but failed to get a foot or head on the ball almost every time.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Agree with Mally, first half Hargreaves seemed to miss a lot of headers or tried to let them bounce and didn't do anything that was better than average but was much improved second half, particularly when they went down to ten men.
OXUFC4Life
Toddler

Post by OXUFC4Life »

Foster and Creighton were immense for us 26 league games,3 FA cup games, 1 FA Trophy best centre half pairing in the Blue Square. Creighton named in the Blue Square Premier Team of Half Season and Team of the Decade for non league football. Wright and Day cannot take credit for best defensive record. Wright and Day no better than Foster and Creighton both have been treated unjustly, will Creighton be next out. Club changing its name to Ex-Halifax FC
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

Not sure how they have been treated unfairly.
Foster was given the opportunity to find a club before his contract ran out in the summer, when we could have kept him on as cover and reduced his chances of getting himself a decent contract.

Creighton had a couple of wobbles and so was replaced by Day who had been professionally biding his time and training hard. Day came in and bar a couple of dodgy backpasses, which lead to nothing, has been to excellent and deserves his place.

It's now up to Creighton to do what Day did, work hard and take his chance when it comes. Unfortunately for him, he had a chance on Saturday and didn't do anything to oust Day from the starting 11.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotOXUFC4Life&quot wrote:Foster and Creighton were immense for us 26 league games,3 FA cup games, 1 FA Trophy best centre half pairing in the Blue Square. Creighton named in the Blue Square Premier Team of Half Season and Team of the Decade for non league football. Wright and Day cannot take credit for best defensive record. Wright and Day no better than Foster and Creighton both have been treated unjustly, will Creighton be next out. Club changing its name to Ex-Halifax FC
I agree entirely :lol: look where that Chris Wilder and his terrible judgment have got us! The answer is an incredible win percentage of 66.667% over his time here (http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... pe=manager), top of the table by 6 points with 15 games to go in his first full season with the best defensive and goal-scoring record in the league!

Honestly if this Day-Wright partnership was causing us to ship goals I might understand all the criticism but really! We're top of the league and looked dominant against 'the best footballing team in the league' (Richard Money) last night. Let's look at the positives eh?

Admin edit: to make url clickable, cos we like that
OXUFC4Life
Toddler

Re:

Post by OXUFC4Life »

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:
&quotOXUFC4Life&quot wrote:Foster and Creighton were immense for us 26 league games,3 FA cup games, 1 FA Trophy best centre half pairing in the Blue Square. Creighton named in the Blue Square Premier Team of Half Season and Team of the Decade for non league football. Wright and Day cannot take credit for best defensive record. Wright and Day no better than Foster and Creighton both have been treated unjustly, will Creighton be next out. Club changing its name to Ex-Halifax FC
I agree entirely :lol: look where that Chris Wilder and his terrible judgment have got us! The answer is an incredible win percentage of 66.667% over his time here (http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... pe=manager), top of the table by 6 points with 15 games to go in his first full season with the best defensive and goal-scoring record in the league!

Honestly if this Day-Wright partnership was causing us to ship goals I might understand all the criticism but really! We're top of the league and looked dominant against 'the best footballing team in the league' (Richard Money) last night. Let's look at the positives eh?

His judgment got us knocked out of the FA Trophy by playing the weakest midfield. As already mentioned if CW had fielded last nights midfield we would now be in the semi finals of the FA Trophy. Again the best defensive record not down to Wright and Day, but Foster and Creighton.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotOXUFC4Life&quot wrote: His judgment got us knocked out of the FA Trophy
You say that like it's a bad thing.
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

We've conceded 2 goals in 6 league games since the beginning of the Day-Wright partnership, I think, and one these was a goalkeeping error.

That 0.33 goals conceded a game is significantly better than the (albeit very impressive) 0.76 goals conceded a game (19 goals in 25 league games) that we had managed earlier in the season.

Of course these stats are skewed by the fact that they are from a different number of games possibly making it an unfair comparison, but the point remains: Day and Wright have done bloody well so far and criticism of them given their superb record seems unjustified.

Plus, as Boris says, who cares about the FA Trophy?!
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotOXUFC4Life&quot wrote:
&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:

His judgment got us knocked out of the FA Trophy by playing the weakest midfield. As already mentioned if CW had fielded last nights midfield we would now be in the semi finals of the FA Trophy. Again the best defensive record not down to Wright and Day, but Foster and Creighton.
The midfield for the FA trophy game was Bulman, Clist, Chapman wasn't it? Last night's midfield was the same except with Hargreaves instead of Chapman. I know we were playing 442 last night but with Deering floating all over the place and Clist very central for a wide man, it was often more like 433 or at least 4312.

I think most agree that Chapman is a very talented player who's at his best in the centre of midfield and many would argue (possibly not after CH's brilliant performance last night, but certainly before) that they'd prefer to see that FA trophy midfield three to last night's, in Murray's absence, because on paper at least it provides more creativity.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:Not sure how they have been treated unfairly.
Foster was given the opportunity to find a club before his contract ran out in the summer, when we could have kept him on as cover and reduced his chances of getting himself a decent contract.

Creighton had a couple of wobbles and so was replaced by Day who had been professionally biding his time and training hard. Day came in and bar a couple of dodgy backpasses, which lead to nothing, has been to excellent and deserves his place.

It's now up to Creighton to do what Day did, work hard and take his chance when it comes. Unfortunately for him, he had a chance on Saturday and didn't do anything to oust Day from the starting 11.
I agree with you and the new fella.

Foster and Creighton's contribution to the first half of this season should not be discounted or belittled.

However, Foster has now moved on and if Creighton wants his place back he must fight for it.

Basically, our defence has been excellent in nearly every game which is further proof that Wilder has what it takes.......
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Wright had a decent game although I still felt the defence as a whole gave too many chances away and gave the ball away a bit too much for my liking - he's a good player though, as was Foster. Is the emphasis going to be on Wright everytime we keep a clean sheet?

Last night was all about the attacking players, some lovely football played with Green Beano and LSD in particular looking excellent as Boris said the best we've been going forward for quite some time.

I think it helped though that they were hungover from Luton at the weekend.

Keep it up Mr Wilder and get us up.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Wright had a decent game although I still felt the defence as a whole gave too many chances away and gave the ball away a bit too much for my liking - he's a good player though, as was Foster. Is the emphasis going to be on Wright everytime we keep a clean sheet?

Last night was all about the attacking players, some lovely football played with Green Beano and LSD in particular looking excellent as Boris said the best we've been going forward for quite some time.

I think it helped though that they were hungover from Luton at the weekend.

Keep it up Mr Wilder and get us up.
No, but it might be when he performs as brilliantly as he did last night, as he has done consistently since he joined
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Is the emphasis going to be on Wright everytime we keep a clean sheet?
You only have to see GY's comments on the other thread to understand why some on here are a little protective of Wright. I could tell just by listening to RadOx that he had a good game last night.

Anyway, more to the point, why do you (and others) keep banging on about Foster? A player with an attitude problem who left OUFC of his own accord, whatever TiU stirring you choose to believe. And who now plays for one of our rivals!

He's gone, we're top of the league and conceding fewer goals than ever.