The boys were back in town...

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

The boys were back in town...

Post by Jimski »

...and two of them scored against us...

That was abysmal. Even at 3-0 I was worried, knowing how we'd capitulated under pressure before. Then at 3-1 it became utterly obvious we needed a change, especially to strengthen midfield, and of course we all knew good old reactive Jim would wait til another goal went in, and only then make a substitution. And then what does he do? Bring on a rookie striker for a midfielder, thus weakening us in the middle even more.

Words fail me. If Torquay had kept up the pressure after their equaliser, I reckon they could have got a winner in those 5 minutes of added time.

Even if we played reasonably well in the first half, 3-0 flattered us, and once we started to collapse, you could predict the rest easily.

I can't believe there wasn't a major chorus of &quotSmith Out&quot at full time. I thought our fans were meant to be legendarily impatient? I tried to start one myself, but no luck. Even so, he needs to go. And now.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

We went three nil up because for a change we had players who finished clinically &amp as soon as Torquay made mistakes we punished them. I also thought we looked better in the first half because we had the steady experienced heads of Gilly &amp Wilmott back || two at the back who can play a bit of football in Corcoran and Foster. But even then our midfield had no creativity. We did not need both Trainer and Hutch. We needed Rose or Standing. We were still too much hoof and too little football.

The substitutions were just bonkers. The act of a deluded madman. We needed to strengthen the midfield. Trainer’s legs always go but Jim never swaps them for fresher ones. We were crying out for someone in midfield who could find space and put their foot on the ball to slow things down and take the sting out of the game. And also to play decent balls to Yemi instead of hopeful hoofs. A job for Standing or Rose.

When Jim goes he should take the fitness coach with him because we don’t look as fit as our opponents.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Still, I thought our hoofing was immaculate.

Keep the faith eh?

Bye.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Well Jim says he won't quit as manager : &quotIf we're bottom of the league and six points adrift you might have a point.&quot Hmm, so that's how badly we'd have to be doing before you, a director of the club, feel that the management is utterly failing? Lovely.

Apparently you could also &quotargue it was tremendous entertainment&quot. For Torquay fans perhaps...

And on the second half collapse: &quotNot even Man Utd do that well for 90 minutes, and other teams come into it&quot. Yeah, keep talking Jim, you're really making a case for yourself.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Agree Jimski with everything about those comments from Smithy, It's just madness.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I can't disagree with any of Jimski's analysis of the game. The first half reminded me of a game against Portsmouth about 10 years ago at the Manor when we were 3-nil up at half time but would have been lucky to go in level.

Once agin we had no creativity in midfield and Rose and Standing who could have got hold of the ball were once again ignored. The substitution was a joke. At a time when we were being overrun in midfield and unable to keep the ball Jim took off a midfield player (the wrong one anyway) and we reverted to our standard plan B of what is effectively 5-2-3. But the 3 up front is misleading because he banished Yemi and Jordan Rhodes to wide position in a system that meant there was almost no way for anybody to get the ball to them. The wing backs were playing so deep that we effectively had a flat back 5 that at times became a flat back 7. At one point I commented that we had a flat back 9 as they all lined up on the 18 yard line with Torquay in posession on the half way line!

Chris W comments on the playing of &quotAll Together Now&quot and &quotThat's Entertainment&quot at half time in his match report. Can I suggest that Jim listens to the Clash's &quotShould I Stay or Should I Go&quot on his way into work this morning.
Crabbers
Embryo

Post by Crabbers »

Or how about Cast's Walk Away?
Big Dave
Embryo

Post by Big Dave »

Jimski, you mentioned something about midfield,WHAT MIDFIELD!We have'nt had a midfield since Magilton and Hebberd left!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotCrabbers&quot wrote:Or how about Cast's Walk Away?
One of my all time fav tracks.