Ultimate Yellows - warning contains OUFC passion

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Ultimate Yellows - warning contains OUFC passion

Post by Snake »

It's well overdue (over 5 years in fact) that OV had some challenge to their status as the only OUFC fans organisation.
Last edited by Snake on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Except it's not a fans' organisation as such. It's much more informal - along the lines of Aldershot's RBA.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

This one has gone right over my head - presumably it means something if you read TiU forums?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

[quote]A new group of Oxford United supporters has been formed. Calling themselves Ultimate Yellows, the new group is calling on other Oxford fans to join them in the North Stand of Oxford’s ground for a launch at the home game against Aldershot, on 15 September.

Simon Cant, one of the founder members, explains: “Ultimate Yellows is modelled, to some extent, on the Ultra groups that are famous in Italian and Spanish football. We’re taking the best elements of the Ultras – the colours, the jumping and chanting, and the scarf waving – while renouncing the violence and racism with which those groups have become associated
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Its not exactly competition for OxVox.

I certainly think there is room for an independant supporters assocation who are not held back by the formalities of a trust.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Its not exactly competition for OxVox.

I certainly think there is room for an independant supporters assocation who are not held back by the formalities of a trust.
Groups of supporters can do what they want. Ultimate Yellows sounds like fun to me.

I don't think 'trust formalities' are really that big a deal GY.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Its not exactly competition for OxVox.

Groups of supporters can do what they want. Ultimate Yellows sounds like fun to me.

I don't think 'trust formalities' are really that big a deal GY.
I do think OV is held back in several ways.

On finance:
Although the level of regulation has been reduced, OV is still required to comply with a level of accountancy regulation which is excessive for the size of organisation.

OV is required to issue shares and comply with terms of a regulator and a governing body, which again is excessive for the size of organisation.

On administrative:
The governing body and regulator issues are also a factor.

On democracy:
A trust works by members setting the agenda and the committee follows that (or it should do).
An ISA works by the committee setting the agenda and supporters join if they want to support what the ISA is doing.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but this can hold back a trust.

A trust works on majority voting for members, which means significant minorities can be left unhappy.

A trust committee often works on lowest common denominator view where the committee effectively tries to seek a common position for the committee that all can agree on, rather than what may be the best course of action. I remember well that the negotiation element of trying to get anything done was very difficult as the views of the committee can range from &quotwe love the club owners&quot to &quotwe hate the club owners&quot or &quotgive the players a chance&quot to &quotget rid of the donkeys&quot. So obtaining mutual agreement tended to mean watering down and less effectiveness. Emails used to fly back and forth for days trying to agree small variations in PR wording and the like, just to keep everyone happy, which is nonsensical.

An ISA may find this easier to deal with as generally those who set up and run an ISA will be of similar views.

Under a trust, for a member to get something done, they have to garner support from other members, which takes time, and sometimes that can mean having to wait for an AGM or members meeting. If a member puts something to a committee member that the committee member doesn't agree with, how far or easily does that issue progress? Not very far and not very easily in my experience.

Because of the above, a trust tends to react much more slowly than an ISA could.

I could go on for hours on this but I'm sure its boring enough for many on here already. Perhaps this should be transferred to OV site.

There are advantages and disadvantages of both types of supporters organisation. I'm not saying one is better than t'other, just that there is room for both.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

It sounds like a great idea, it's just a shame it is in the north stand. 1- i would like to get involved but my season ticket is in the om stand. 2- i don't think you'll get enough momentum going in the north stand. 3- with crowds as small as we get anyone who wants to be involved in creating a better
atmosphere should all sit together and that should be behind a goal.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

It only costs a couple of quid to move your season-ticket to the North for a game, why not do it for the one game to give them some support?
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:It sounds like a great idea, it's just a shame it is in the north stand. 1- i would like to get involved but my season ticket is in the om stand. 2- i don't think you'll get enough momentum going in the north stand. 3- with crowds as small as we get anyone who wants to be involved in creating a better
The reason why the North Stand was chosen was because it makes it easier for everyone who wants to be involved to sit together - in the OM those who want to let their hair down are too thinly spread. I'm also an OM season ticket holder, but will get my ticket moved for the Aldershot game. It's not envisaged to be every game where there's going to be an UY presence, but at the higher-profile matches and where there's larger away support. C'mon Joel, move to the NS for just this one match and see how you like it!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:It sounds like a great idea, it's just a shame it is in the north stand. 1- i would like to get involved but my season ticket is in the om stand. 2- i don't think you'll get enough momentum going in the north stand. 3- with crowds as small as we get anyone who wants to be involved in creating a better
The reason why the North Stand was chosen was because it makes it easier for everyone who wants to be involved to sit together - in the OM those who want to let their hair down are too thinly spread. I'm also an OM season ticket holder, but will get my ticket moved for the Aldershot game. It's not envisaged to be every game where there's going to be an UY presence, but at the higher-profile matches and where there's larger away support. C'mon Joel, move to the NS for just this one match and see how you like it!

Mmmm, isn't there a well established group that already do this?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotHog&quot wrote:Mmmm, isn't there a well established group that already do this?
Yes, but not a well intentioned one.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
Sadly, Borris i would be no use to anyone with my broken wrist! i couldn't even clap on saturday... not that there was much to clap about!

i do always find it a little odd when a club has their main support to the side of the pitch and not behind a goal. no real reason for this bar tradition (The Kop, London Road etc) and the idea that en mass, you can sometimes seriously intimiade a goalie (various times in the london raod spring to mind) and every so often win a disputed penner claim (at least twice last season).m EG being Stevenage away where their main support is on the halfway line. the oddest other example is Aldershot away where there is both sets of supporters behind the same goal!!
yellowportly
Brat

Re:

Post by yellowportly »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
shome mishtake shurely ?

I can see the headlines now ..

&quotShock as United Fans enjoy themselves at a game&quot
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: i do always find it a little odd when a club has their main support to the side of the pitch and not behind a goal. no real reason for this bar tradition (The Kop, London Road etc) and the idea that en mass, you can sometimes seriously intimiade a goalie (various times in the london raod spring to mind) and every so often win a disputed penner claim (at least twice last season).m EG being Stevenage away where their main support is on the halfway line. the oddest other example is Aldershot away where there is both sets of supporters behind the same goal!!
I largely agree with you r'meister. I prefer being behind the goal, and remember when Exeter's 'end' in the old Cowshed was down the side to one end. Most odd. However, the reason why we've chosen the NS for launch is, like I said, to enable people to congregate, because the way st's have been sold in the OM makes it difficult for people who want to party to stand (oops, or do I mean sit) together. Maybe with time UY will move to the OM, but that will depend on a number of factors, most of which are beyond our control. We were considering SSU at one time, beneath the press box and opposite the away fans. The advantage of that position is that, judging by Sat's attendance, there are virtually no st holders (or anyone else) who sits there. The disadvantage was that we felt the high price of SSU would put off those used to OM prices (like me).