Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotOXUFC4Life&quot wrote: His judgment got us knocked out of the FA Trophy
You say that like it's a bad thing.
I don't think some people really give serious consideration to what they are posting.

Excellent judgement.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Is the emphasis going to be on Wright everytime we keep a clean sheet?
You only have to see GY's comments on the other thread to understand why some on here are a little protective of Wright. I could tell just by listening to RadOx that he had a good game last night.

Anyway, more to the point, why do you (and others) keep banging on about Foster? A player with an attitude problem who left OUFC of his own accord, whatever TiU stirring you choose to believe. And who now plays for one of our rivals!

He's gone, we're top of the league and conceding fewer goals than ever.
Why would anyone need to be protective of Wright on a minority forum, as a result of something I write?

I don't think Wright is much good based on the games I've seen him play so far. A couple of other noobs seem to be repeating an excessive defence of him on several threads. That's fine its a forum. Its football. Its opinions.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

How can can there be such a polarisation of opinion on Jake Wright its astonishing.

Boris and AO on the one hand are lauding his 'classy' performances and defensive abilities whereas GY on the other hand is absolutely scathing of the fella's positioning, covering and organisation.

It's very rare that such a bizarre juxtaposition exists for a United player
and it's baffling to be quite honest and the Duffy debate does not count.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

At least with Duffy I could see why there was a debate, a lazy git who scored goals (mostly penalties). Moderately effective at what he did but crap, really.

With Wright I'm bemused, we've barely conceded a goal while he's played and yet by some he's made out as an imposter in the side, who makes numerous mistakes only to be repeatedly covered by a teammate. I just haven't seen that at all, he looks steady, reliable, decent in the air and makes a good tackle when required.

Even the 3 wimbledon chances on the highlights, 2 came down the right hand side (I note Wright covering well on the line for one of them) and the other from the left back position, crossed for Day to head onto the bar. If someone can explain to me what Wright did wrong in any of them, then please do.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Perhaps we're not even looking at the same player. Wright &amp Tonkin look quite similar. Er, no that doesn't work. Tonkin was excellent (too?).
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Is the emphasis going to be on Wright everytime we keep a clean sheet?
You only have to see GY's comments on the other thread to understand why some on here are a little protective of Wright. I could tell just by listening to RadOx that he had a good game last night.

Anyway, more to the point, why do you (and others) keep banging on about Foster? A player with an attitude problem who left OUFC of his own accord, whatever TiU stirring you choose to believe. And who now plays for one of our rivals!

Why would anyone need to be protective of Wright on a minority forum, as a result of something I write?

I don't think Wright is much good based on the games I've seen him play so far. A couple of other noobs seem to be repeating an excessive defence of him on several threads. That's fine its a forum. Its football. Its opinions.
I haven't been protective of him I don't think, nor excessively defensive. I, and others, have merely pointed out, in light of your post-Luton criticism of Wright - when I (called you an idiot for your overly critical and baseless comments and) assured you that if you watched him closely you would notice that he is class and too good for this level - that he has been exceptional in the time since you chose to slate him.

The fact that you have watched him play in several games since and are unable to take a positive stance and appreciate one of the best centre backs we've had at the club for several years (not that that's saying much) is rather sad I think and suggests that you're either very stubborn or don't know very much about football.

I personally rated Duffy, but let's not get started on that.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: You only have to see GY's comments on the other thread to understand why some on here are a little protective of Wright. I could tell just by listening to RadOx that he had a good game last night.

I haven't been protective of him I don't think, nor excessively defensive. I, and others, have merely pointed out, in light of your post-Luton criticism of Wright - when I (called you an idiot for your overly critical and baseless comments and) assured you that if you watched him closely you would notice that he is class and too good for this level - that he has been exceptional in the time since you chose to slate him.

The fact that you have watched him play in several games since and are unable to take a positive stance and appreciate one of the best centre backs we've had at the club for several years (not that that's saying much) is rather sad I think and suggests that you're either very stubborn or don't know very much about football.

I personally rated Duffy, but let's not get started on that.
The person you personally abused last time was Ty Cobb, not me.

And I don’t believe I mentioned you when making the comment that you refer to about excessive defence of Wright, so it is interesting that you should feel defensive enough to assume it was you.

I think it is very sad that you seek to personalise all your arguments, instead of simply accepting that different people have different views about aspects of our favourite football team compared to you, and are perfectly entitled to those views, and are perfectly entitled to express them.

Like everyone else on here, where I think a player performs well, I properly offer praise, and where I think they perform poorly, I do the opposite. Take Hargreaves, I was very critical of us having signed him, and critical of his first couple of performances, but I singled him out for special praise for the Wombles match because he played very well.

We are all Oxford United fans, and I wish Jake Wright was a better player as OUFC would benefit from that. What possible motive could I have for being critical of an OUFC player without due cause?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Perhaps we're not even looking at the same player. Wright &amp Tonkin look quite similar. Er, no that doesn't work. Tonkin was excellent (too?).
I think I can tell them apart. Tonkin is the one with 21 goals this season, right? :lol:
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I can't tell them apart ... was that Tonkin that the Kiddy player ran round so easily to set up their winner in the FAT? Oh, wait a minute, Tonkin was cup-tied. Surely it couldn't have been Wright then?
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: The person you personally abused last time was Ty Cobb, not me.
Apologies, to you both.
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: And I don’t believe I mentioned you when making the comment that you refer to about excessive defence of Wright, so it is interesting that you should feel defensive enough to assume it was you.
Having strongly defended Wright on several threads, and having clashed with yourself on this exact topic recently, I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption there. Who were you referring to? I didn't realise that one had to address each response to an individual poster - would that not be making things too personal?
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: I think it is very sad that you seek to personalise all your arguments, instead of simply accepting that different people have different views about aspects of our favourite football team compared to you, and are perfectly entitled to those views, and are perfectly entitled to express them.
I'm very much in favour of different people having different views. I just disagree with yours.
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Like everyone else on here, where I think a player performs well, I properly offer praise, and where I think they perform poorly, I do the opposite. Take Hargreaves, I was very critical of us having signed him, and critical of his first couple of performances, but I singled him out for special praise for the Wombles match because he played very well.
Well done.
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:We are all Oxford United fans, and I wish Jake Wright was a better player as OUFC would benefit from that. What possible motive could I have for being critical of an OUFC player without due cause?
As I suggested above, probably stubbornness. You were obviously of the view that CW should not have got rid of Foster (which was an understandable reaction given the timing and suddenness etc) and that Wright is not good enough, so sometimes its easier to point out flaws/mistakes (which others seem to have missed!) from Wright and to overlook several solid performances in a row than to admit that you might have been wrong.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:At least with Duffy I could see why there was a debate, a lazy git who scored goals (mostly penalties). Moderately effective at what he did but crap, really.

With Wright I'm bemused, we've barely conceded a goal while he's played and yet by some he's made out as an imposter in the side, who makes numerous mistakes only to be repeatedly covered by a teammate. I just haven't seen that at all, he looks steady, reliable, decent in the air and makes a good tackle when required.

Even the 3 wimbledon chances on the highlights, 2 came down the right hand side (I note Wright covering well on the line for one of them) and the other from the left back position, crossed for Day to head onto the bar. If someone can explain to me what Wright did wrong in any of them, then please do.
Well I thought the one on the (W)right the bloke was miles offside until I noticed Wright playing him onside which explains why he was able to get back on the line - BBC highlights confirm it.

Like I said I don't think he's a bad player, but I don't think he's the new Matt Elliott that some people seem to be making out.

I guess it was my 'baseless' comments that DW is making reference to when I said he had been dropped from the Brighton team before getting injured. As I've pointed out on another thread this is indeed the case so not baseless at all.

As for being critical, as GY points out it's all about opinions, this thread was about what a good game he had, how we weren't missing Foster - responding to these points does not mean that I think he's rubbish - I don't.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: The person you personally abused last time was Ty Cobb, not me.
Apologies, to you both.
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: And I don’t believe I mentioned you when making the comment that you refer to about excessive defence of Wright, so it is interesting that you should feel defensive enough to assume it was you.
Having strongly defended Wright on several threads, and having clashed with yourself on this exact topic recently, I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption there. Who were you referring to? I didn't realise that one had to address each response to an individual poster - would that not be making things too personal?
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: I think it is very sad that you seek to personalise all your arguments, instead of simply accepting that different people have different views about aspects of our favourite football team compared to you, and are perfectly entitled to those views, and are perfectly entitled to express them.
I'm very much in favour of different people having different views. I just disagree with yours.
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Like everyone else on here, where I think a player performs well, I properly offer praise, and where I think they perform poorly, I do the opposite. Take Hargreaves, I was very critical of us having signed him, and critical of his first couple of performances, but I singled him out for special praise for the Wombles match because he played very well.
Well done.
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:We are all Oxford United fans, and I wish Jake Wright was a better player as OUFC would benefit from that. What possible motive could I have for being critical of an OUFC player without due cause?
As I suggested above, probably stubbornness. You were obviously of the view that CW should not have got rid of Foster (which was an understandable reaction given the timing and suddenness etc) and that Wright is not good enough, so sometimes its easier to point out flaws/mistakes (which others seem to have missed!) from Wright and to overlook several solid performances in a row than to admit that you might have been wrong.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.
No you are not getting off that easily.

If it was stubbornness, and everyone will note you are personalising it yet again, why would I not have been stubborn about Hargreaves, or indeed any other player I have previously criticised?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

I think the problem for Wright is that he is seen as replacing two popular players - Foster and Creighton. As such, he has to play like a footballing god to have even half a chance of winning some people over.

Wright appears to be a good player so far and, at the very least, on a par with Foster. I wonder what time Wright would have turned up for the Christmas party? :twisted:
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: No you are not getting off that easily.

If it was stubbornness, and everyone will note you are personalising it yet again, why would I not have been stubborn about Hargreaves, or indeed any other player I have previously criticised?
I'm not getting off that easily? Eeek :shock:

I'm not personalising it. I'm answering your question, namely
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:What possible motive could I have for being critical of an OUFC player without due cause?
Well done on seeing the light with regard to Hargreaves, but I don't see how that means that it's impossible for you to be stubborn in terms of your opinion on Wright.

As I said before, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, I just disagree with it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: No you are not getting off that easily.

I'm not getting off that easily? Eeek :shock:

I'm not personalising it. I'm answering your question, namely
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:What possible motive could I have for being critical of an OUFC player without due cause?
Well done on seeing the light with regard to Hargreaves, but I don't see how that means that it's impossible for you to be stubborn in terms of your opinion on Wright.

As I said before, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, I just disagree with it.
Rubbish.

You are personalising it by claiming it is stubborness rather than a genuine concern as to Wright's performances.

Why would I select Wright for this treatment and not Hargreaves? The simple fact is that you can't answer that because there is no basis for your personalised commentary. Just as when you ran out of argument and couldn't accept someone else's opinion, you slagged off Ty.

Disagreeing with an opinion is one thing, but it is not the same as claiming idiocy or stubborness on the part of someone who disagrees with you.