Season 2006-7 - Have you enjoyed it?

Anything yellow and blue

Have you enjoyed this season? Answers before play-offs please.

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 22

A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I've throughly enjoyed it - I've been to more away games than home games though and I've generally seen us win which makes a big difference. A lot of the away games feel like FA Cup 1st round matches, especially as we are the biggest side in the division and the danger is if we stay down next season the novelty would have well and truly worn off. I think if we get promoted at Wembley most fans will see this as one of the best seasons for many, many years, if we don't get promoted next season will be grim.
Yes, I can't argue with that which is why I haven't actually cast a vote yet.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I've throughly enjoyed it - I've been to more away games than home games though and I've generally seen us win which makes a big difference. A lot of the away games feel like FA Cup 1st round matches, especially as we are the biggest side in the division and the danger is if we stay down next season the novelty would have well and truly worn off. I think if we get promoted at Wembley most fans will see this as one of the best seasons for many, many years, if we don't get promoted next season will be grim.
I wonder, with what Dan was saying above about the bottom 12 teams in Div 4 and the top 12 teams in Conf being comparable if we'll maintain our fantastic away support next season if indeed we do get promotion? I for one know I'll be more selective next season with away games as it really does take out half your saturdays in a year!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:So what if we lost league status Terry?
I'm stunned frankly, that you can even type those words in a single sentence. :shock:

Maybe you prefer us to retain our non-league status, but I certainly don't.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I voted yes, more for the feeling that the club as a whole is moving forward than the results on the field. Although Firoz rescued us from oblivion, there was never a feeling of long term planning on the footballing side. It hasn't been perfect this season by any means but factors such as training ground/better football/Darren Patterson offer more hope for the future. Obviously promotion is important, but the long term plan even more so. The biggest threat to the latter would appear to be the purchase of the stadium which, at the right price, could provide an important source of revenue. (Am I right in thinking that any revenue from the conferencing facilities currently go to Firoz and not the club?)
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote: (Am I right in thinking that any revenue from the conferencing facilities currently go to Firoz and not the club?)
Yes, and the catering and the advertising and the sponsorship and any concerts, etc, etc... Without additional revenues such as these it will be difficult for the club to sustain a move up the leagues.

I also voted yes. Mainly because as others have said on the whole travelling to away grounds has been a more pleasant experience even considering some of the over the top policing we've seen. At home games there has also been a better atmosphere with the higher crowds. Its been an intersting year but not one I'd like to see repeated next year. 1 year in the conference is enough thank you very much. Like going on holiday - nice to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
I'm stunned frankly, that you can even type those words in a single sentence. :shock:

We lost league status. We had to start again. My point is forget the past. We can't do 'owt about it.,

I don''t have a Tardis unfortunately.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

We lost league status. We had to start again. My point is forget the past. We can't do 'owt about it.,

I don''t have a Tardis unfortunately.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Forget the past? I wish I could, apart from 83-88 and 95-96, and maybe Tranmere away, and Slumdon at home, Charlton away and well, you all know the dozens of others. For the record I don’t think that any Oxford fan can forget the Leyton Orient game, ever.

What I’d really like to forget is tin pot grounds and tiny away crowds. Yes, I know we take hundreds away, but you usually still end up watching a game of football in front of less than 2,000 people and certainly for me (and I suspect many others) that novelty has well and truly worn off. It just won’t be the same next season if we stay down, and in particular if the worst happens and we don’t get the flying start that we did this season.

And another thing, it’s all very well telling your loved ones that you’ve never been to an away game at Morecambe or Stafford before and “would it be ok to go on Saturday please
Hoarse
Baby

Post by Hoarse »

Marginal YES vote from me. So much obviously hangs on whether we succeed in the play-offs but I'd have gladly taken a play-off spot way back in the horrible days of June or July last summer.

This would be a horrible league to struggle in but we haven't. Thankfully the team's not been out of the top 2 all season.

The fans, players and club are all heading in the right direction again and that's not happened for nearly a decade. I've enjoyed this season mostly because of the support we've brought to games. People are proud to be supporting OUFC again, despite where we find ourselves.

I look forward to matchdays again and it's definately not about who we're playing it's once again about OUFC.

Now please let's get that play-off win we're so desperate for!
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

A pedant could make a tenuous case for our having been out of the top two after the first round of fixtures, since we won our first game 2-0 and there were two 3-1 wins.
entirely disenchanted
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:But on reflection just how have we arrived at this kind of situation, being one where we can stuff a few non-league clubs now and again and are seemingly GRATEFUL for it (according to the poll)?
Sorry, I thought the poll was asking if I'd enjoyed the season, not whether I was grateful that we are where we are.

As ResOx says, the past has happened and can't be changed. Things look like they're moving forward and if you can't gain some enjoyment from that... well.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

i think the best way to look at this Poll is to ask yourself the question &quotwhich would have been more fun finishing in mid-table obscurity in Div 4 again. staying at home on satutrdays listening to Jerome and Nick commentating again from Shrewsbury / Grimsby / Brizzle Rover / Notts County / Barnet / Chester / etc as you've been to all these grounds before as we grind out another one-niler which could go either way. Or would it be more fun to start winning games, have over 3,000 season ticket holders, sell out away ends in Burton and Weymouth, travel not very far to games like woking / stevenage / st albans / grays. Have at least 5 games live on Sky and a newspaper (the nlp) where we are, for once, the biggest team to write about.&quot

on balance, i would say i have enjoyed this season. but i don't want to do it again next year! back to mid-table obscurity and nick and jerome telling us all again about the conical used to retrieve the footballs from the river outside Shrewsburys ground. Not that they'll be in that ground next season. Or poss not even in Div 4....!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

My turn to be a pedant.

It's a coracle not a conical.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Something conical would just tip over, wouldn't it?
entirely disenchanted
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Something conical would just tip over, wouldn't it?
Depends how much weight it had in the bottom I'd guess. It would probably be a bit difficult to paddle though as the weight and deapth required for boyancy would create too much drag under the water. Sounds like an interesting A level Physics experiment.