Pick your play-off 11...

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Pick your play-off 11...

Post by recordmeister »

...well, go on then. I missed Sat's game as I was on me hols, but i think at the moment it would go like this:

turley

eddie
l.foster
gilchrist
quinn
day

m.foster
hargreave
burgess

zebra
yemi
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Based on his second-half performance on Saturday, I can't see Eddie making the starting eleven (unless he has a dramatic improvement at York), therefore I would keep your line-up, but with Fozl at right wingback, the other defenders all moving over one to the right*, Andy Burgess playing the left wingback role that he had on Saturday, with Pettefer coming into the midfield.

*or possibly just moving Day over to where you've put Fozl.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

It's a given that we will be playing 5-3-2, but it's also a given that I could never contemplate naming a side in that formation, so here's mine in a strict 4-4-2:

Turley

Eddie RB
Foster L CB
Quinn CB
Day/Johnson/Ruf (dont care) LB

Pettifer RM
Hargreaves CM
Foster CM
Burgess LM

Yemi
Zeb or Duffer.

Subs:
Rose
Duffer or Zeb
Johnson or Ruf or Day
Marv or Beechers
Tardif

If I was going to be flexible, you could play Day at Left defence, and tuck Burg back a bit at Left wing back and make it 5-3-2. But I'm not.

I want Duffer to start scoring again. I thought he did well in the first half on Sat, but faded badly in the second. I like Zebo's movement, but he doesn't look like a natural-born- onion-back-rippler to me.
Long John Silver
Brat

Post by Long John Silver »

Assuming we will stick with 3-5-2 - and trying to get Yemi, Zeb &amp Duffy in the starting line-up.

Turley

L Foster --- Gilly --- Quinn

Yemi --- Peteffer --- M Foster --- Hargreaves --- Burgess

Zeb --- Duffy.

The three workhorses in midfield, should be cover if needed for the two attacking wingbacks.

If Yemi can't play this position, then play him instead of Duffy up front and bring Eddie in as right wingback.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

A bit like Dan, I would pick a 4-4-2. Though we all know it will be 3-5-2.

In 4-4-2 I would choose
Turley
Johnson Quinny L Foster Eddie
Burge M Foster Hargeaves Yemi
Zebra Duffer

Subs: Tards Day Gilly Pettefer Rose (Rather than have Marvelous on the bench, for a striker swap I would put in a midfielder and push Yemi up).

Hargreaves gets in on form over Pettefer

In 3-5-2 I would choose
Turley
Gilly Quinny L Foster
Burge M Foster Hargreaves Pettefer Eddie
Zebra Yemi

Subs: Tards Day Johnson Rose Duffer
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

Turley
Gilly Quinn L.Foster
Burgess M Foster Hargreaves Pettefer Eddie
Zeberdee Duffy

Subs: Tardif Day Johnson Rose Yemi

As exciting as Yemi is and I love watching him play I think Zeberdee is more likely to score with Duffy as the target man leaving him free to latch on to stuff. Espically after Saturday where I thought the two played well together. Yemi would feature, but probably back to super-sub as I don't think any amount of wishing is going to make him a real winger. He'd just be a third striker, but play really wide. And we tried 4-3-3.

Also there is the possibility of playing L.Foster as the right wingback as he did well there in the first half on Sat, with Day in behind him. That would be based on Eddie's below par performance on Saturday, but if he performs I'd rather him.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

You can't leave your most dangerous player on the bench. It makes no sense.

Yemi is averaging a goal every two starts, he's got more assists than anyone else, he chases everything, and defenders hate playing against him.

He may miss chances, but at least he creates them. I rather a shot fly wide than no shot at all.

I'll tell you for a fact, all the players I've spoken to pick him in their starting line up.

Our defence will keep us in play-off matches, Yemi will win them for us.
Mark G
Puberty

Post by Mark G »

My play-off team:

GK: Turley

CB: Foster (L)
CB: Quinn
CB: Gilly

RWB: Anaclet
MC: Foster
MC: Hargreaves
MC: Burgess
LWB: Johnson

ST: Yemi
ST: Zebroski/Duffy (Can't decide - dependent on opponents)

Subs:

Tardif, Day, Zebroski/Duffy, Rose, Pettefer

I definitely wouldn't play Burge at left wing-back because he isn't the best defensively and mentally it seems to make him reluctant to push up and attack the opponents (If he does play LWB, I hope he is a success and makes this comment sound stupid).
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

mark's team would be my choice, with a duffy/odubade partnership to start.
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:You can't leave your most dangerous player on the bench. It makes no sense.

Yemi is averaging a goal every two starts, he's got more assists than anyone else, he chases everything, and defenders hate playing against him.

He may miss chances, but at least he creates them. I rather a shot fly wide than no shot at all.

I'll tell you for a fact, all the players I've spoken to pick him in their starting line up.

Our defence will keep us in play-off matches, Yemi will win them for us.
I agree with you for the most part, and as I said I love watching Yemi, but I just don't think he will start. I'd love to be proven wrong, Yemi to come out and get a brace or more. (And if he does i'd like it to be at the expense of Duffy)
Hoarse
Baby

Post by Hoarse »

You've all fallen for Jim's 3-5-2 bluff and we'll play 4-3-3.

Turley
LB Johnson
CB Quinn
CB L Foster
RB Eddie

M M Foster
M Hargreaves
M Pettefer

A Zebroski
A Duffy
A Yemi
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I'd assumed the question was normative - what we'd like to see, not what we think we'll see! I'm amazed that so many have included Gilly in their preferred lines up.

4-4-2 thinking about solidity as much as anything

Turley
Day, Quinn, FosterL, Johnson
Anaclet (?), Hargreaves, FosterM, Burgess
Zebroski, Odubade

If Anaclet played like he played last Saturday, or early in the season, then I'd drag him off, but I thought he was looking quite effective wide in a midfield four and linking well with Yemi. The other one I'm unsure about is Zebra. Really I want Duffy there, but his shocking attitude sets me against that. So I'm assuming he has failed a late IQ test before the game. Back four is a little on the slow side FosterL notwithstanding.

Bench: Tardiff, Duffy, Rose or Pettefer (but not both), a defender (Gilly I suppose), maybe Hutchinson if fit.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

Agree with AC'S team.

(Incidentally were you pissed when you bumped into me on Saturday? You were quite frightening. ) :)
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:Agree with AC'S team.

(Incidentally were you pissed when you bumped into me on Saturday? You were quite frightening. ) :)
Sober as a judge. You say just the nicest things!
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

He's a lot less frightening when he's pissed. :wink: