Out of date beer.

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Out of date beer.

Post by A-Ro »

Since when has it been acceptable to sell out of date produce? I took one swig of the vastly overpriced Carlsberg in the Kassam yesterday and immediately looked for the best before date because it tasted rank, the date was 01/04/14. I don't buy beer there very often, mainly because of the price but also because I've had out of date beer there before.

I took the bottle back and asked for a bottle that was within date but despite looking through all the bottles there were none within date so I got my money back. I asked if they were going to continue selling them and I was assured they wouldn't which of course was an utter lie because they then started selling them but telling people they were out of date.

As I said earlier, this isn't the first time this has happened, who needs to be kicked to sort this substandard service out?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Out of date beer.

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Trading standards?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Nope. Environmental Health.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Beer has a use-by date?!? I always thought it just said "Best before... another beer!"
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Myles Francis wrote:Nope. Environmental Health.
Nope. The club should be responsible for ensuring this doesn't happen. We all know that OUFC are not in control of many aspects of matchday logistics as long as FK owns the ground, but if they're not taking the lead in complaining long and loud about things like this then they're not doing their job properly. We pay OUFC for our match tickets to watch OUFC play football, so OUFC should be pro-actively responsible for ensuring that everything that we experience in the ground is up to scratch.

Beer generally has a 'best before', rather than a 'use by' date, so it is not an offence to sell it 'out of date', as it were. But it is massively taking the piss. Beer is not a perishable product, so there's no excuse to let stocks get so old. I wonder whether the caterers are buying short date produce at reduced prices to make even greater profits out of Us mugs?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Myles Francis wrote:Nope. Environmental Health.
Nope. The club should be responsible for ensuring this doesn't happen. We all know that OUFC are not in control of many aspects of matchday logistics as long as FK owns the ground, but if they're not taking the lead in complaining long and loud about things like this then they're not doing their job properly. We pay OUFC for our match tickets to watch OUFC play football, so OUFC should be pro-actively responsible for ensuring that everything that we experience in the ground is up to scratch.

Beer generally has a 'best before', rather than a 'use by' date, so it is not an offence to sell it 'out of date', as it were. But it is massively taking the piss. Beer is not a perishable product, so there's no excuse to let stocks get so old. I wonder whether the caterers are buying short date produce at reduced prices to make even greater profits out of Us mugs?
I'm sure that is exactly what they are doing rather like Wetherspoons does. Both of these caterers tend to have a fairly captive audience - our caterers (and I use that term in the loosest possible sense) due to there being no viable nearby alternative and Wetherspoons due to the fact that many of their punters like their pricing policy and won't pay more elsewhere.

The catering fare available and pricing at the Kassam is appalling and I make a point of not buying anything there unless I really, really have to. Contrast that with the Kidderminster experience where I was very happy to pay over a fiver for a stir fry a few years ago - it was freshly made and tasted delicious. If we had such an offering at the Kassam, I'd be likely to eat there often. I suspect however, that there are enough people who will put up with overpriced rubbish to mean that the caterers don't need to up their game.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

No idea how many grounds I’ve been to (certainly over 92 if you count both the new and old ones) and have never seen anything even approaching the quality of the catering at Kidderminster!

All the rest seem are very samey, with the exception of occasionally an independent vendor outside the ground.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Best not to give Ka$$am any more money anyway.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Snake wrote:No idea how many grounds I’ve been to (certainly over 92 if you count both the new and old ones) and have never seen anything even approaching the quality of the catering at Kidderminster!

All the rest seem are very samey, with the exception of occasionally an independent vendor outside the ground.
Agreed which is why very few of them get any of my cash!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Radley Rambler wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:I wonder whether the caterers are buying short date produce at reduced prices to make even greater profits out of Us mugs?
I'm sure that is exactly what they are doing rather like Wetherspoons does. Both of these caterers tend to have a fairly captive audience - our caterers (and I use that term in the loosest possible sense) due to there being no viable nearby alternative and Wetherspoons due to the fact that many of their punters like their pricing policy and won't pay more elsewhere.
I've heard this said about Wetherspoons before (no idea whether it's actually true), but the fact is that their real ale offering is usually top notch, and has earned many of their pubs inclusion in the Good Beer Guide. Which is in marked contrast to the piss in a bottle sold at the Ka$$am!
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Kernow Yellow wrote:the piss in a bottle sold at the Ka$$am!
One does wonder if the plumbing from the urinals simply winds back round to behind the counter where one of Ka$$am's minions is busy re-filling the £5 micro-bottles retrieved from the bins.
Last edited by The Enforcer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I've never understood why people don't just bring a hip flask. No queuing, warming in cold conditions, infinitely cheaper and you don't have to see any money going to Ka$$am. Same with the food - if everyone brought a banana or a packet of crisps, and we all boycotted the over-priced and inedible shit that gets served up, the caterers would soon have to up their game and/or drop their prices. The "captive market" theory only works if punters go along with it.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Don't start me on hip flasks, ground regulations, overzealous stewards etc etc. It was a long time ago, a cold day and my mate just wanted a nip to warm the cockles.......
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Out of interest, AW, was that at our ground or away?

Never had a problem myself - although I'm usually fairly discreet. The other option, of course, is to make yourself a thermos of steaming hot coffee with a very generous measure of whisky/brandy/whatever in it.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Our ground. SSL. Still angry about the self - important little pr*ck's attitude even now.