charlton away

Anything yellow and blue
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: charlton away

Post by Paul Cooper »

I also fail to see why it is either the league or the Cup.

As others have said the Cup hardly did Bradford any harm and to a certain extent a team can get on a roll through having good cup performances and results (we seemed to do OK in the league and Cup under Jim Smith in the 80's).

So go for both.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

SWA wrote:Snake is a Swansea fan, not an Oxford fan
I take all of his comments with a pinch of salt to be honest.
I also hate all this "concentrate on the league" bollocks, for a club in any division.
‘Swansea attendee’ would be more factually correct in that I’ve only missed 10 games home and away in the last three seasons. If anyone thinks I don’t care about Oxford United then I offer 20 years of being an Oxford United ST holder as evidence. As for the 5th round draw then dream on because small teams like Swansea are happy to take the 40% or so of the gate money from an FA Cup tie at Old Trafford and with the pressures of the Europa League that last minute winner was a pain in some ways as it means yet another game with little revenue. Yes, Bradford did it last year, but you need a big squad and luck with injuries to do that. Oh, and some decent management, from the people who wash the kit to the Chairman who signs the cheques and I just don’t see that at Minchery Farm right now.

Pushing Kelvin out was the last straw for me but one day I’ll be back when the regime changes.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Snake wrote:
Pushing Kelvin out was the last straw for me but one day I’ll be back when the regime changes.
None so blind as those that will not see.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Myles Francis wrote:
Snake wrote:
None so blind as those that will not see.
A first for Rage Online in that a biblical quote has been used in a discussion thread. Anyway, good luck against Pompey and thank God for not having such a steep decline as they have endured.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

In fairness, Snake, your judgement of suitable owners / chairman isn't the most credible.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

neilw wrote:In fairness, Snake, your judgement of suitable owners / chairman isn't the most credible.
LOL

A great bit of due diligence done on Nick Merry. Shame that no one even knew who the new backer was for months. If you want to talk about previous form in this department then fire away and I'll get back to after Old Trafford. Meanwhile go and Google 'Huw Jenkins'.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Snake wrote:
neilw wrote:In fairness, Snake, your judgement of suitable owners / chairman isn't the most credible.
LOL

A great bit of due diligence done on Nick Merry. Shame that no one even knew who the new backer was for months. If you want to talk about previous form in this department then fire away and I'll get back to you after Old Trafford. Meanwhile go and Google 'Huw Jenkins'.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

I see Charlton's game was postponed today owing to the state of their pitch. There will be a pitch inspection Monday to see if the game can go ahead on Tuesday. Frankly, if the pitch still isn't fit, the FA should switch the tie to Oxford and/or sanction Charlton for failing to maintain their pitch in accordance with the competition's requirements. As their own groundsman has said, it is suffering from 16 years of neglect so cannot really be blamed on the recent inclement weather.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Postponed only 2 hours before kick off too. Pretty poor show!
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Myles Francis wrote:I see Charlton's game was postponed today owing to the state of their pitch. There will be a pitch inspection Monday to see if the game can go ahead on Tuesday. Frankly, if the pitch still isn't fit, the FA should switch the tie to Oxford and/or sanction Charlton for failing to maintain their pitch in accordance with the competition's requirements. As their own groundsman has said, it is suffering from 16 years of neglect so cannot really be blamed on the recent inclement weather.
I think that's a little harsh, I think if it is off again the game quite possibly should be played elsewhere, but half of Charlton's drainage system has collapsed, you can argue that they should have had a better drainage system but it's still totally unexpected and impossible to deal with until the end of the season. Once you factor in the sharp valley the ground is in and that it's been the rainiest December in years I have some sympathy with Charlton.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Sorry, Joe, but I don't think it's being harsh and the problems are not "unexpected" Their own groundsman has said:
We're in this predicament because the pitch hasn't had any sufficient drainage work done on it for the past 16 or 17 years.
Quite simply, that's neglect. For theirs to be the only game postponed in the top 8 English and Scottish leagues yesterday, despite continuing significant rainfall over large parts of the country, underlines the point
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Myles Francis wrote:Sorry, Joe, but I don't think it's being harsh and the problems are not "unexpected" Their own groundsman has said:
We're in this predicament because the pitch hasn't had any sufficient drainage work done on it for the past 16 or 17 years.
Quite simply, that's neglect. For theirs to be the only game postponed in the top 8 English and Scottish leagues yesterday, despite continuing significant rainfall over large parts of the country, underlines the point
And taking account that they've had a heated tent over the pitch as well. They are situated in the capital city as well, not in the rainiest climbs of the country. Why should they be a special case? Oxford on the other hand has been badly affected by the weather but we have little difficulty staging games. In my view, Charlton should be offered to swap the tie to our place or face forfeiture. Being the bigger club, they should have offered to swap venue by now.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

I don't think our views differ massively, I am annoyed with Charlton and I do think that if Tuesday's game is postponed it should be played elsewhere, be that another London ground or the Kassam, but I have sympathy with the Charlton players, coaches and staff, and I have some sympathy with the situation because there's half of a season to play until they can fix it properly, and I trust at the start of the season they were confident the system in place would be sufficent for the season. I don't have great sympathy because as it's been pointed out it has been brought on, to an extent, by themselves.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

When Gateshead had problems with their drainage last season they were forced to play about half (from memory) their home games at neutral grounds some of which were a long way from Gateshead so perhaps Charlton will have to do the same. Obviously the main problem will be finding somewhere that can accommodate the much larger crowds they get but the precedent has been set.

Edit: I was going to suggest they could play at Gillingham (about 30 miles) whose home fixtures do not generally clash with Charlton, or at Dagenham (about 10 miles) who would probably be glad of the extra income but then I noticed CAFC are averaging 16-17k at home and even Priesfield only holds about 12k these days.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Hog wrote:When Gateshead had problems with their drainage last season they were forced to play about half (from memory) their home games at neutral grounds some of which were a long way from Gateshead so perhaps Charlton will have to do the same. Obviously the main problem will be finding somewhere that can accommodate the much larger crowds they get but the precedent has been set.

Edit: I was going to suggest they could play at Gillingham (about 30 miles) whose home fixtures do not generally clash with Charlton, or at Dagenham (about 10 miles) who would probably be glad of the extra income but then I noticed CAFC are averaging 16-17k at home and even Priesfield only holds about 12k these days.
I wonder how many Brisbane Road holds, or The Boleyn Ground, or The New Den?

There are plenty of "local" alternatives. Isn't the issue that they have foregone the right to stage home matches by not maintaining their ground properly?