Managerial Merry-go-round

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Managerial Merry-go-round

Post by Dr Bob »

Cloughie was the name mentioned on R5L...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Gillingham have just sacked Martin Allen.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Kevin Blackwell sacked by Bury
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Looks like the dominoes are beginning to topple.....

"Clough and Taylor favourites to take over" would make a decent headline somewhere today, but it's the other Peter Taylor and the son of God/Brian.

Nigel odds on at Sheffield Utd, despite overwhelming support for another candidate from half the members of the YellowsForum, with the Chairman expecting a quick appointment and Taylor odds on at the Gills. No odds yet for Bury..
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

OUFC4eva wrote:Gillingham have just sacked Martin Allen.
...and have today appointed Peter Taylor as 'Interim' boss....
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Middlesbrough are 3 down at h/t to Barnsley. Mowbrey may be quite close ....
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Dave Hockaday leaves Forest Green Rovers following a poor start to the season. And spending a lot of money to boot.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Was just in the process of posting up a general who's next update, when news comes through from the Riverside that Tony Mowbray has now departed. Tony Pulis favourite to replace him, but let's see....

Defeat at Palace tonight could still be enough to tip Jol over the edge, difficult to see him surviving too long in any case - O'Neill & Meulensteen wait on the sidelines

Dave Jones is the next in the spotlight in the Championship as Saturday sees the Owls (22nd) at Barnsley (23rd), Tony Pulis is also favourite for that one too. Would a Wednesday win mean that Flitcroft goes instead - Micheal Appleton favourite there.

In league 1, bottom placed Bristol City host 11th places Brentford tomorrow night, with Sean O'Driscoll in the spotlight, while I wonder about how safe Westley is at Stevenage, who are now in the drop zone.
In league 2, John Sheriden has gone on record as stating his job security fears, while last season will only help Boothroyd at Northampton for so long. And Bristol Rovers travel to Stanley in 20th place, with another manager unable to break what seems to have been an age-long spell of underachievement for the be-quartered ones....

Four names in the frame for the vacant Bury post - McIlroy, Solano, Steve Kean and caretaker Ronnie Jepson.
Clough still odds on for Sheff Utd, despite certain contractural issues needed to be cleared up at Derby, with Karl Robinson, Richie Barker, Chris Morgan and Sven next up. Interestingly, as most other candidates drift out in the betting, Wilder is holding at 20-25/1,about 7th/8th favourite...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Contra the main theme of this thread, tonight's match pits the second and third longest serving managers against each other, both going for promotion. Dunno what this proves (probably nothing), but interesting.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Dr Bob wrote:Contra the main theme of this thread, tonight's match pits the second and third longest serving managers against each other, both going for promotion. Dunno what this proves (probably nothing), but interesting.
Second and third longest serving managers, 3rd and 4th in the league, yet large chunks of both fan bases are not happy with the manager!
OK, it's not extensive research, partly hampered by Google's preference for someone called Ashley Tisdale, it did not take long to find the following from a QPR blog, who had asked questions on an Exeter forum:

Paul Tisdale is, I believe, the league's longest serving manager now, QPR have had 11 permanent managers during his spell at Exeter. How do you rate the job he's doing and has there been any hint of him being changed?

“In my opinion Tisdale has done a remarkable job given the resources that he has had available to him. Historically we have mainly been a bottom ten League Two club struggling to avoid relegation or re-election. Tisdale has changed that. He has also taken the club to its highest ever position in the Football League. However, he has shown himself to be overly cautious and not a risk taker. Exeter City has not sacked a manager for ten years and given that Tisdale is highly thought of by the decision makers it is unlikely that he will be removed any time soon. Rumoured to enjoy a very lucrative two year rolling contract.”

“The Football League's longest serving manager, yes. If you include the Premier League then Wenger has been in charge longer. No doubt he has done well for us but he is not popular with some of the fans, largely owing to his failure to kick on past our eighth place finish in League One a couple of seasons ago and our painful fall from the dizzy heights in the latter part of last season in League Two. Personally, I doubt if anyone else could have done any better with the limited budget he has to work with.”

“The job he's DONE has been amazing, but last year seemed to lose his flair and imagination, resulting in some very mediocre home performances, yet some stirring efforts away. Living with the luxury of a two year rolling contract which was designed to make the club some money when a big club came in for him, but his star is not shining as brightly as it was, and there has to be a question now of how the club dispense with his services as and when they wish to.”

“After we peaked at eight in league one a few seasons back things have gone downhill after the break-up of that team. We have definitely had our share of injuries to key players but the home form in last two seasons and type have football has been a lot worse leading to a split between those who still think he is right for the job and those who think it is time for a change. I fall in the second group but as he is on a two year rolling contract we can't afford to sack him. For me he has to target specifically home games, derbies and cup matches to increase revenue by providing better attacking performances to watch and stop our budget shrinking any further. He was linked with Slumdon recently but doesn't seem to be any truth in that and in any case believe he will stay as it is the safer option.”

- See more at: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/q ... tE4gF.dpuf
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Blimey, you could write the same words in the main about Mr Wilder - very similar situations
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

I am amazed with the view of a section of Exeter fans. I have only just caught up on this thread this week so it's funny that we were talking at the game last night about Tisdale's situation.

I understand the view that they fell away last season and that's disappointing for a side who has been on an upward curve for some signficant time. But to be disappointed that he didn't push on from the truly astonishing achievement of finishing 7th in L1 a few years back is absolutely bonkers. What do they expect? Exeter in L1 were pushing it with the resoruces, infrastructure and budget they've got. Even keeping them up in L1 would have been a miracle.

His side did look quite good again last night, always impressed with his tactics when they come to town. Numerous times the risk-adverse Exeter side were 4 on 2 and made a hash of taking the lead. He really has polished the preverbial turd down there. Future Oxford manager I reckon.

Yet the difference between the two clubs is that we do have the infratructure, fanbase and ambition to succeed at a higher level.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Surprise surprise Holloway leaves Palace! I wonder where he will go next?

And Clough announced as Sheffield United's manager. I hope that he does well.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

How long has Sean O'Driscoll got at Bristol City?

No league wins in 12 matches and sitting bottom of League One.

Watch the end of this BBC clip - an astonishing end to a pressure interview
from under fire O'Driscoll.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24529678
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I would absolutely love Ian Holloway to be our next manager.

Amazing record of unearthing strikers, playing attacking football, and coaxing the very best out of ordinary squads.

How were the last two games, by the way?