Different Teams in Different Sports

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Different Teams in Different Sports

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I like footy (my main club allegiances vary depending on which division they're in)
There you go, fixed it for you. :D
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:I like footy (my main club allegiances vary depending on which division they're in)
Only sort of fixed it, as I still turn up now and again at Wrexham, who are currently being run by a Supporters Trust (and I wish them all the luck in the world as they will need it) but they still have ambition and plans for the future. And also Oxford City, who did “progress
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

If it's EPL you're after wouldn't it have been more convenient to switch your season ticket to Reading?
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Club standing still for a decade, three sided wind swept stadium, unlikely to get in to the championship..... Yeah, even more frustrating for a true loyal fan who doesn't have an option to flirt with another.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Only sort of fixed it, as I still turn up now and again at Wrexham, who are currently being run by a Supporters Trust (and I wish them all the luck in the world as they will need it) but they still have ambition and plans for the future. And also Oxford City, who did “progress
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

I'll have a go.

My first 'live' game was the New Year's Eve clash of 1983 versus Orient the result of which was a 5 - 2 win. Heck of a first game! I have been a resident of the Llanelli area for all 37 years of my life however my grandparents (both sets) originated from Oxford, hence regular visits to see them. On this particular visit I remember being somewhat bored and no doubt a nuisance around the house so my mum suggested to my dad that I was taken to the football as a means of expelling some energy. The rest is history as they say.

I went to primary school in the era when Liverpool won everything and Man Ure were manure. Out of a class of ~20 boys I would say that at least 80% followed Liverpool (and those with no interest in football simply jumped on the bandwagon), with the odd Evertonian thrown in. Then came me, the sole supporter of Oxford United - an most seized upon the opportunity to take the piss out of me from then on through my shcool years. Not even feats like Wembley 86 or stopping Everton winning the league could win any football friends. I remember Wembley 86 in particluar as most of my classmates started supporting QPR if only for 1 day.

Can I also say that at some point during the past one set of grandparents migrated down the A420 to the Slumdon area however my support never followed!

So, how deep is the love? Well to put up with what I've put up with I would have to say that it's very deep rooted. I cannot get to many games due to family and work commitments however the OUFC results are always the first ones that I look for on the sports pages. And this will always remain the case.

I do however put in regular appearances at the Liberty Stadium Swansea and for this season at least have had odd pre match pint with my new mate John (aka Snake). And just to close the triangle once again, we are usually joined by a Slumdon Town fan.

I did also follow Chelsea (but not with any great passion) as a result of the Mourinho effect but that waned when he left. I am now starting to get quite excited about Man City (come on - let's hear your moans) as they appear to be getting one over Man Ure who I dislike considerably. Finally, another football team that now falls into the dislike category are the afore mentioned Liverpool on the basis of the Brandan Rogers affair. My prediction - Rogers will be sacked before the end of May 2013 and will return to Swansea (who incidentally will also have sacked their new manager due to relegation) for what effectively is a season long loan at a cost of £7m.

So what else?

International football: follow England rather than Wales although this may change if Joe Allen, Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor, and co can turn things around. Not sure about Chris Coleman though.

Club Rugby: follow the Llanelli Scarlets and attend a few games per season. Strong dislike - Leicester Tigers.

International Rugby: follow Wales (obviously) and whoever are opponents to England.

Rugby League: what's the point? It's like touch rugby for adults. The authorities may as well do away with the scrums and replace it with a 'right you lot, stand with your hands in your pockets for the next 5 seconds whilst the opposition attempts an attack'.

Cricket: try to get at least to 1 day of the Cardiff tests when the ECB bandwagon is in town. No interest in Glammy glammy glammy glammy glamorgan or anyother county for that matter.

Motorsport: follow F1 and IRL in general but have no real preference on either team or driver.

American Football: follow the Tenessee Titans as I am a regular visitor to Nashville through my work commitments.

Golf: I usualy keep an eye out for the Brits and would love to see Westwood win a major. Strong dislike - Tiger Woods.

Horse Racing: Strong dislike which I think goes back to the regular interruptions to Grandstand back in the 80's for the next race at Kempton.

Hope you enjoyed the read.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotAndrewmaha&quot wrote:International football: follow England rather than Wales

International Rugby: follow Wales (obviously) and whoever are opponents to England.
Yeah, obviously. :?:

I'll suppress the urge to respond to the Chelsea / Man City bits. Suffice to say that you make Snake look like a model of one-club loyalty.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotAndrewmaha&quot wrote:International football: follow England rather than Wales

I'll suppress the urge to respond to the Chelsea / Man City bits. Suffice to say that you make Snake look like a model of one-club loyalty.
I thought that the majority of people of proper Cornish origin were a bit more open minded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_se ... t_movement ) when it came to who/what they support on a wider scale but you’re a glowing example of someone who either has no pride in your local identity or is so remote from the rest of the UK sporting interests (maybe because of your geographical location) you criticise an interesting thread without making any contribution yourself...

I’m with Andrew on Horse Racing, and I’ll bet you pay to have Sky and the other channels.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Snake, is Cardiff's rebranding an attractive proposition for you? Might you be tempted? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18324804
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:

I thought that the majority of people of proper Cornish origin were a bit more open minded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_se ... t_movement ) when it came to who/what they support on a wider scale but you’re a glowing example of someone who either has no pride in your local identity or is so remote from the rest of the UK sporting interests (maybe because of your geographical location) you criticise an interesting thread without making any contribution yourself...

I’m with Andrew on Horse Racing, and I’ll bet you pay to have Sky and the other channels.
Not sure what you're trying to imply about the Cornish, but obviously I'm not of Cornish origin, otherwise I wouldn't be following OUFC around the country. I'm from Oxford, hence the one-club stuff. It's in my blood. I guess it's easier for 'outsider' U's fans to change allegiance, I just don't particularly understand that mentality.

And no, I don't, and have never, paid for Sky television. Partly on principle, partly because it's a lot of money, partly because I'd spend too much of my time watching stuff!

Anyway, sorry you don't value my contribution to the debate. I'm sure Andrew can take the ribbing. I think if you come on here saying 'I support England at one sport, anyone but England in another, I used to like Chelsea but now I like Man City' you've got to expect a bit of stick.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotHog&quot wrote:If it's EPL you're after wouldn't it have been more convenient to switch your season ticket to Reading?
Because they are one of a handful of football clubs on my hate list. The last time Oxford United went there they sang “You’ll never come here again
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:Snake, is Cardiff's re-branding an attractive proposition for you? Might you be tempted? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18324804
Would it be tempting to you given the financial promises on offer to the Blueturds (as they are known abroad by their local rivals)? It's like WPL marketing a new home shirt for Oxford United exactly the same as what Wigan Warriors wear.
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

Not sure what you're trying to imply about the Cornish, but obviously I'm not of Cornish origin, otherwise I wouldn't be following OUFC around the country. I'm from Oxford, hence the one-club stuff. It's in my blood. I guess it's easier for 'outsider' U's fans to change allegiance, I just don't particularly understand that mentality.

And no, I don't, and have never, paid for Sky television. Partly on principle, partly because it's a lot of money, partly because I'd spend too much of my time watching stuff!

Anyway, sorry you don't value my contribution to the debate. I'm sure Andrew can take the ribbing. I think if you come on here saying 'I support England at one sport, anyone but England in another, I used to like Chelsea but now I like Man City' you've got to expect a bit of stick.
Who said anything about changing allegiance? I have never lived in Oxford let alone England and yet OUFC have and always will be 'my team'.

The way in which you have manipulated my Chelsea and Man City comments suggest to me that you are a closet Man Ure fan. :D
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotAndrewmaha&quot wrote:Who said anything about changing allegiance?
Snake did, and it was him I was addressing in my last post.

Although I would draw your attention to your (verbatim) quotes below, and leave people to find their own conclusions:
&quotAndrewmaha&quot wrote:I did also follow Chelsea (but not with any great passion) as a result of the Mourinho effect but that waned when he left. I am now starting to get quite excited about Man City
[...]
International football: follow England rather than Wales although this may change if Joe Allen, Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor, and co can turn things around.
None of this is intended in any way to denigrate your support of OUFC. The point of this thread is to show the different sporting interests people have outside of OUFC, and I was simply drawing attention to the seeming absurdity of your statements about international allegiances.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Nobody's mentioned wrestling. When I used to watch Abingdon Town (before floodlights and 'injury time') I used to cycle furiously (quickly as opposed to angrily) back to the north end of town in time to watch Jacky Pallo and co on TV. Tag was my favourite: I was only 12!

I was keen on orienteering during my 6th form days and won a few team events but, to be honest, there weren't many teams! I once cycled from home in Abingdon to an event at Shotover Hill, won it and cycled home again and I remember feeling quite pleased with myself but it's just occurred to me that we never, ever, got even a certificate never mind a trophy!

I once (and I mean only once) went to a Rugby Union game when a colleague of mine played in the biggest game of his life in national cup game away at Harlequins and I didn't enjoy it at all. To make matters worse I missed my 'local' OUFC away game at Pompey in the real second division to watch him. When England won the rugby world cup in 2003 I preferred to watch Hoglette having a swimming lesson! I've also been to two Rugby League games: it was enough.

I spent a season in the early 80's watching Oxford Rebels speedway but that was mainly because a lot of my Sunday football team went too and I tagged along with them.

I've seen a stage of the Tour de France but only because it passed through Hampshire a few years ago. I was standing on a bridge on the M3 and watched it pass below me on the A339. 30 seconds from start to finish!

I've been to a couple of ice hockey matches when Oxford were in the top division and playing in Hampshire but only to catch up with my mate Colin from Oxford City FC who used to report on them for the Mail. He's now a reporter in Tenerife if anyone remembers him!

I've never been to a top cricket match in my life although I did help work the scoreboard at North Abingdon in my mid-teens for a couple of weeks.