Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotSWA&quot wrote:I'm with joepoolman
the chant was once or twice and harmless banter
Snake is not really making a valid point
Erm... I was uncomfortable with the chant.
I wasn't uncomfortable, more disappointed. And there were other far more obscene chants aimed towards her.
Yes, it was the more obscene ones I was talking about really.

&quotWe've all shagged the lino&quot

&quotLino, you're a slag&quot

That kind of thing. There were plenty of others as well. The kitchen one didn't bother me particularly, though it was sung so regularly as to make me annoyed with its tedious repetition.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

There's some horrible nasty down right disgusting stuff yelled and chanted at football &amp at times I just despair. But &quotshould've stayed in the kitchen&quot does not fall into that category imho.

I think some people take offence much too easily &amp often take offence on behalf of others. Did it really bother her?

But this chant was totally unoriginal and very boring.

And fully agree it does not do us any favours.

She was no better no worse than the other two.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:Fact is, you go to a public place and there are any number of numbskulls around. We have our fair share at OUFC.
You've just reminded me about a bloke stood behind me on Saturday. Every time Crawley scored a goal he berated the ref. During the second half he constantly sang '4-1 to the referee' - on his own of course. Then at one point, when nothing much was happening, he started singing 'on the pitch, on the pitch'. I turned round and was surprised to see he was about 70 years old.

I asked him why he wasn't making his way towards the front if he wanted to go onto the pitch. He said there were too many people in the way! I and those around me moved aside to create a gangway for him. He shouted at me to fuck off. Charming man.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:Fact is, you go to a public place and there are any number of numbskulls around. We have our fair share at OUFC.
You've just reminded me about a bloke stood behind me on Saturday. Every time Crawley scored a goal he berated the ref. During the second half he constantly sang '4-1 to the referee' - on his own of course. Then at one point, when nothing much was happening, he started singing 'on the pitch, on the pitch'. I turned round and was surprised to see he was about 70 years old.

I asked him why he wasn't making his way towards the front if he wanted to go onto the pitch. He said there were too many people in the way! I and those around me moved aside to create a gangway for him. He shouted at me to fuck off. Charming man.

Yeah, sorry about that Kernow.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotBoogie&quot wrote:has anyone got an update on Capaldi?
Is he stuck in Traffic?
I see what you did there.....
Thanks goodness someone did!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotSWA&quot wrote:I'm with joepoolman
the chant was once or twice and harmless banter
Snake is not really making a valid point
Erm... I was uncomfortable with the chant.
I was'nt. Not the brightest of chants but at least no foul language was involved.

You must be squirming constantly if you regularly attend away matches. Fact is, you go to a public place and there are any number of numbskulls around.

We have our fair share at OUFC.

Worst ever comment? Some middle aged couple screaming 'you black cunt' at Yemi at the Stevenage away match a couple of years ago.

So drunk, so thick.
Ok. I’ll clear up my point. Racism at football is a no-no for 90%|| of people these days, but sexism is still fine for some it seems. Throwing bananas at black players used to be seen as funny and acceptable once upon a time, but now in 2011 it’s seen as ‘harmless banter’ or ‘not too bad’ to use a person’s gender as ammunition to start up a hilarious (?) terrace chant.

FFS, half the population are female and we need as many paying customers into Minchery Farm as possible to move onwards and upwards. And besides, there are no statistics available to prove that female officials are as blind as their male compatriots at our Fourth Division level let alone considering the fact that the Prem allow young girls to run the line at places like Anfield these days. Calling them ALL “wankers
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Perhaps half the population are overweight but that's OK 'cos it's their own fault the greedy bastards, so we can all abuse fatties on the football pitch, and any lino, ref, ballboy who is carrying a bit extra.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]

Ok. I’ll clear up my point. Racism at football is a no-no for 90%|| of people these days, but sexism is still fine for some it seems. Throwing bananas at black players used to be seen as funny and acceptable once upon a time, but now in 2011 it’s seen as ‘harmless banter’ or ‘not too bad’ to use a person’s gender as ammunition to start up a hilarious (?) terrace chant.

FFS, half the population are female and we need as many paying customers into Minchery Farm as possible to move onwards and upwards. And besides, there are no statistics available to prove that female officials are as blind as their male compatriots at our Fourth Division level let alone considering the fact that the Prem allow young girls to run the line at places like Anfield these days. Calling them ALL “wankers
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

[quote=&quotjoepoolman&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]

joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

What I'm saying is that's the, reason a lot of people do it, but I want to make a point that I don't think that that excuses their behaviour.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Well I thought the chants towards here were sexist, were not meant in a fun way (they only started when we didn't get a decision) and I didn't join in.

I would however, be happy to join in with a chant about Posh Spice for example if Beckham was ever to play against us and very much enjoy the one about Karen Brady when we played Brum back in the 90's.

Not sure what that makes me.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:But the point is I don't believe that the majority of women would be offended by a throw away comment like &quotyou should've stayed in the kitchen&quot, especially coming from some football fans, and just because I've sang a silly chant doesn't mean I don't want women in football, whatever gender, race, religon sexuality etc. In fact from what I've seen of female officials I think it's harder for them to climb the pyramid, they always seem better than the blokes.
You could argue that since crowds sing throughly offensive* chants to referees, they are in fact being strictly fair to the female officials. A feminist would probably hate the idea that a crowd were being nice to her simply because she's a woman.

* - note that I steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that inanimate objects can have emotions, and therefore words and songs etc. cannot be 'racist' or 'sexist' per se, however for the sake of brevity (sadly lost with the includion of this note) I am prepared to use 'offensive' as a shorthand for &quotcauses people of a particular group to feel offended&quot
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

To be honest I don't think it's really worth arguing over it any more as it will only create divisions at a time when we want to be united (due to poor recent form).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:What I'm saying is that's the, reason a lot of people do it, but I want to make a point that I don't think that that excuses their behaviour.
It certainly happens when passions are high and a few beers have been consumed by many beforehand - some people lose their sense of normality and decency and become sheep like. Then the same people go and complain when the police and stewards treat them in a subhuman way, herding them away like animals from potentially lawless situations, or moaning because the hidden price of their ticket includes the authorities costs in keeping order.

Nothing wrong with a bit of passion and tribalism when supporting your football team (in fact the more intense the better as far as I’m concerned) but football in general could do without that kind of excuse offered.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I'm so worried by the PC brigade that I feel guilty every time I hold a door open for a female!