Creeping out early

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Listening to the game on Saturday, Jerome referred to an incident where the linesman signalled a free kick to Oxford. Steve Evans told him to put his flag down and he did.

Did anyone witness this incident? If true it's a serious issue which should be investigated by the F.A. surely?
That'll be the incident I covered in the Fan's View. Obviously from where we were stood we had no idea that Evans had an input.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Listening to the game on Saturday, Jerome referred to an incident where the linesman signalled a free kick to Oxford. Steve Evans told him to put his flag down and he did.

Did anyone witness this incident? If true it's a serious issue which should be investigated by the F.A. surely?
That'll be the incident I covered in the Fan's View. Obviously from where we were stood we had no idea that Evans had an input.
There was an incident in the first half where the lino flagged for a foul on one of our strikers. It didn't look to me like the ref saw the flag, but he certainly saw the incident and waved play-on. When it became clear this is what the ref was doing, the lino put his flag down. I don't think any input from Evans, however unwelcome, would have had any bearing on the situation. Crawley broke up the pitch and were quickly awarded a soft free-kick just outside our area. It was just one of many instances where the ref seemed to be bending over backwards to help the home side.

As an aside, I have seen people complain at the performance of the linesperson at our end of the pitch. I know it shouldn't have any bearing on things, but I'm not sure I'd be inclined to be too generous to a team whose fans were singing obscene songs about me. In case you haven't guessed, the lino was female. The one low point from our otherwise pretty impressive fans on Saturday.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: I know it shouldn't have any bearing on things, but I'm not sure I'd be inclined to be too generous to a team whose fans were singing obscene songs about me. In case you haven't guessed, the lino was female. The one low point from our otherwise pretty impressive fans on Saturday.
To be honest I thought the female lino was the only one that could be excused on Saturday, and that any obsenities were from a minority, the only chant aimed at her from the majority was &quotyou should've stayed in the kitchen&quot, which I really don't think is that bad.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: I know it shouldn't have any bearing on things, but I'm not sure I'd be inclined to be too generous to a team whose fans were singing obscene songs about me. In case you haven't guessed, the lino was female. The one low point from our otherwise pretty impressive fans on Saturday.
To be honest I thought the female lino was the only one that could be excused on Saturday, and that any obsenities were from a minority, the only chant aimed at her from the majority was &quotyou should've stayed in the kitchen&quot, which I really don't think is that bad.
Seems fair enough for me. No prejudice or stereotyping in that chant is there? No worse than chanting “You should have stayed in the jungle
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Seems fair enough for me. No prejudice or stereotyping in that chant is there? No worse than chanting “You should have stayed in the jungle
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote: To be honest I thought the female lino was the only one that could be excused on Saturday, and that any obsenities were from a minority, the only chant aimed at her from the majority was &quotyou should've stayed in the kitchen&quot, which I really don't think is that bad.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: Of course. Don’t go misunderstanding me here. Right now I’m at home listening to the Oxford game on RadOx and doing my ironing after a weekend abroad while my wife and kid are at Court Place Farm. I hope the FA Cup replay doesn’t go to penalties otherwise I’ll have to wait even longer for my dinner tonight.
I don't see your point.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

I'm with joepoolman
the chant was once or twice and harmless banter
Snake is not really making a valid point
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Silly reaction Snake
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotBoogie&quot wrote:has anyone got an update on Capaldi?
Is he stuck in Traffic?
I see what you did there.....
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSWA&quot wrote:I'm with joepoolman
Erm... I was uncomfortable with the chant.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

Post by pottersrightboot »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
I was'nt. Not the brightest of chants but at least no foul language was involved.

You must be squirming constantly if you regularly attend away matches. Fact is, you go to a public place and there are any number of numbskulls around.

We have our fair share at OUFC.

Worst ever comment? Some middle aged couple screaming 'you b**** c***' at Yemi at the Stevenage away match a couple of years ago.

So drunk, so thick.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
I wasn't uncomfortable, more disappointed. And there were other far more obscene chants aimed towards her.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
I was'nt. Not the brightest of chants but at least no foul language was involved.

You must be squirming constantly if you regularly attend away matches. Fact is, you go to a public place and there are any number of numbskulls around.

We have our fair share at OUFC.

Worst ever comment? Some middle aged couple screaming 'you b**** c***' at Yemi at the Stevenage away match a couple of years ago.

So drunk, so thick.
Did I say it was the worst ever chant? I said I was uncomfortable with it, as I am with the majority of personal chants because I don't see that they are ever going to do any good. They are fantastic for letting off steam but IMHO they are only going to spur on any opposition player or turn any official more against us than they already were.
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote: To be honest I thought the female lino was the only one that could be excused on Saturday, and that any obsenities were from a minority, the only chant aimed at her from the majority was &quotyou should've stayed in the kitchen&quot, which I really don't think is that bad.
Last edited by headless_pnub on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.