Remote Control

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Remote Control

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Anyone know what this is all about? I didn't read anything in any match report that led me to think we might be facing an FA charge.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I think it was a first half incident when Robert Hall committed a late foul and the victim and a couple of others squared up in a butch manner to the smallest bloke on the pitch, there was some brief pushing and shoving and then the game carried on in a calm and polite way. I think Hall got booked.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

On the match as it happens ticker tape on the OUFC site it covers the whole incident with

3.32 A late tackle by Rob Hall on Stuart Campbell leads to a big bundle and a yellow card for Hall.

On the BBC site it just says

Booking for Robert Hall for unsporting behaviour.
31:42 Free kick awarded for a foul by Robert Hall on Stuart Campbell.

And that sums it up, a brief confrontation and then normal service resumed.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

What a load of old b*ll*cks, it was a bad, late tackle by Hall who thought he should have had a free kick and sought instant vengence. About half of each team had a bit of handbags, officials did well and sorted it out, move on.

How are OUFC and BRFC supposed to 'control their players' when in the heat of a match, a late tackle occurs and a few take exception - it was hardly a bloodbath.

You get worse in most Sunday League games.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

I agree with RR.

What with this wailing and outpouring for grief about Rooney's 3 game ban, there is a sense of proportion gone missing somewhere.

Robbie Hall was lucky not to get a red card, but the handbags aftermath doesn't warrant an FA charge.
The Boys from Up the Hill
Brat

Post by The Boys from Up the Hill »

Here's my take on it, if anyone's interested.

http&#58//theboysfromupthehill&#46blogs ... cy&#46html

It's a bit of a rant about the FA to be honest, but it really does strike me as being a completely inappropriate punishment for something that had been dealt with at the time.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

When I saw it live it struck me as a mistimed tackle by a raw and enthusiastic 17 year old. It was definitely a foul and at a push a yellow card (which is what the ref gave – nothing more).

The Rovers player went down like he’s been shot and then some of his team mates lost it and started swinging their handbags around. No way did OUFC players lose control, and you certainly can’t criticise the club for what happened in the few seconds afterwards. In fact I thought our players conducted themselves well. Shame the club didn’t want to appeal, but maybe that’s too much paperwork and effort to try and save a thousand quid.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Just don't understand this.... it was typical 'handbags', and certainly less serious than the incident at Valley Parade last season, during which Jake Wright was (rightly) sent off. The Bradford incident was not, as far as I am aware, followed up by the FA. However, the Bradford player sent off (Hanson?) has his red car revoked on appeal, I think.

So why pick on this incident now? Crackdown? Referee's whim? OUFC is indicating that the wording of the charge means that the clubs are guilty, presumably because there are no indications of degree or seriousness. Therefore, if such pushing occurs, the clubs are guilty if the referee chooses to report it. If this is true, it is unjust, and enshrines the inconsistency of officials.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Considering the level of fines some clubs get for far worse offences (eg Verona in Italy fined 6k for persistant racist abuse directed at a player), £1,000 is a scandalous amount and very difficult for two Fourth Division clubs to cope with.