Who is Alex?

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Who is Alex?

Post by GodalmingYellow »

My first visit to Gresty Road today. Reasonable ground with an over sized and under filled main stand!

The 3-1 scoreline flattered Crewe, but reflected their much better finishing and creativity.

Don't listen to the Football League show commentary because it is a load of rubbish claiming that Crewe dominated the first half (they didn't, if anything we edged it and we certainly had a lot more shots albeit from distance), and naming Josh Payne in the build up to our goal as being Dean Smalley!!

Second half we were well on top and Crewe's 3rd goal was pretty much their only attack.

The stats for the game of 60% posession to us and 22 to 7 shots in our favour reflects the game much better than the FL show.

However, having said that, there were a shed load of weaknessess in our play and players that I wasn't impressed with. And these are similar themes to last season and earlier games from this season.

At this very early stage in the season 13% complete, in my view Whing, Davis, Guy and Hall are nowhere near good enough.

We missed Leven, whose wife went into labour as I understand, and even more missed Beano, and I hope the rumour of a loan to Bournemouth is completely wrong or we may be facing a difficult season.

In our play generally, there was the usual lack of creative passing and movement which has become the norm with this horrible 4-3-3 formation and with Wilder's teams. Our build up lay was too slow, much too slow,and often went unnecessarily backwards rather than attacking more quickly which would have had the opposiiton in more trouble. Worse was the appalling lack of communication between the midfield and back line with no one tracking back from midfield when an opposition made a run through (we were caught out several times for this including two of their goals). Part of the problem here is Hall is too slow and doesnt react quickly enough, Heslop is often involved in forward play and so takes time to get back leaving just Mac who can't be expected to cover the entire defensive midfield alone. The back line despite facing the opposition were seemingly unable to pick players coming through the middle and too often neither Dubes nor Wright took responsibility to pick these players up.

We were a much better side when Batt replaced Whing, but I'm not sure why Heslop was replaced as he was by some distance our best player today.

We should have won this match as Crewe are very ordinary but we were let down by sloppy defensive play, lack of movement and creativity and woeful strikers.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Excellent report GY, one which I would echo.

Simon Heslop, our only goal threat and half decent attacking midfielder, was once again removed from play, having been subbed during the debacle of Aldershot. He was my MOTM.

Amzed at how dominant we were when in fairness, we rarely looked like scoring or troubling the Alex (other than a decent point blank header from Potter).

We looked weak and ordinary again. Potter flatters to deceive, great at times moving forward, unable to hit the barn door. McLaren was calming, our other midfielder just amazes me how he retains his place in the side especially when it is Heslop who is continually taken off.

Toothless up front. The Whing Boo-Boys are a joke.

The loss of Beano is even more distrubing having witnessed what we have to take his place.
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

An interesting read.

Disagree about Davis not being good enough though. I think he has looked like one of our better signings.
EIEIEIO
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotBrahma Bull&quot wrote:Excellent report GY, one which I would echo.
Another echo (mostly) here. A fair bit of what GY has said is the same as what will appear in the FV when it's published. Don't really need to be a genius though to spot the glaring weaknesses.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
Another echo (mostly) here. A fair bit of what GY has said is the same as what will appear in the FV when it's published. Don't really need to be a genius though to spot the glaring weaknesses.
Glaring weakness? Do you mean the lack of a decent striker by any chance? Like the one whom we have just allowed to have wage discussions with another club on the basis that we received a “substantial offer
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
Glaring weakness? Do you mean the lack of a decent striker by any chance? Like the one whom we have just allowed to have wage discussions with another club on the basis that we received a “substantial offer
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Unfortunately the upward trajectory will come to an end some time (but hopefully not too soon). Selling Constable now is, in my opinion, too risky to contemplate.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Unfortunately the upward trajectory will come to an end some time (but hopefully not too soon). Selling Constable now is, in my opinion, too risky to contemplate.
On the evidence of the performances so far this season it already has. Temporarily or will be bump along at the level we are now at for a while? Jury is out.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Good report GY, though like Yellow-Robbo I disagree about Davis.

We showed two basic problems, conceding goals miscommunication between central defence and midfield, and converting chances the absence of Constable.

On the positive it is still early days, Constable and Franks will come in and convert the chances Potter and Smalley missed and the new away kit (with dark blue shorts) looked nice. However, the glass-half-empty view, this weekend’s defensive display may not prove the exception and Constable could yet leave.

Overall, it is increasingly worrying that we rely so much on one player.

Further, I note the omission of Pittman in all previous posts, though not Wilder’s in the OM. Left Wingers at this club are cursed I tell you.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: Another echo (mostly) here. A fair bit of what GY has said is the same as what will appear in the FV when it's published. Don't really need to be a genius though to spot the glaring weaknesses.