Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

&quotOn
And on
And on
Ed Hort-on&quot

One of the finest pieces of crap poetry ever published. So fine I can remember every word 15* years on!

* Approximately. My memory's not that good!
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

&quotPeterorange&quot wrote:
&quotwightyellow&quot wrote: How about that disgusting penalty given to Chelsea in the FA cup. Still haunts me now, Kevin Francis made the only clean tackle in his life...
Ouch.
Dean Windass recons it was a penalty and couldn't see what the fuss was all about. I saw his autobiography in a bookshop and looked-up the Oxford section. Barmy. Mind you his goal in the match really made his career even though it was a fairly avarage header from a corner.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:
&quotwightyellow&quot wrote: How about that disgusting penalty given to Chelsea in the FA cup. Still haunts me now, Kevin Francis made the only clean tackle in his life...
Ouch.
Dean Windass recons it was a penalty and couldn't see what the fuss was all about. I saw his autobiography in a bookshop and looked-up the Oxford section. Barmy. Mind you his goal in the match really made his career even though it was a fairly avarage header from a corner.
A Chelsea supporting colleague at the time was adamant that it was a pen (well he would, wouldn't he?) so I watched it again (and again and again) in the end I had to grudgingly agree that it probably was although I've seen many harder fouls not given
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quottomoufc&quot wrote:
&quotPeterorange&quot wrote: Ouch.
A Chelsea supporting colleague at the time was adamant that it was a pen (well he would, wouldn't he?) so I watched it again (and again and again) in the end I had to grudgingly agree that it probably was although I've seen many harder fouls not given
Absolote bobbins! Watch the ball, it goes in the absoloute other direction! Never in a million years was that a foul. The lad bought, paid for and has a reciept. :(
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulzdCvNz ... re=related

At worst it was a 60-40 in big KF's favour.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulzdCvNz ... re=related

Yep, just watched it again and there are still grounds for giving a pen. There are many reasons why he shouldn't have but this was not a complete howler by the ref.
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulzdCvNz ... re=related

Yep, just watched it again and there are still grounds for giving a pen. There are many reasons why he shouldn't have but this was not a complete howler by the ref.

was.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

It remains the poorest and most unfounded decision I have ever known in football, and still makes me physically ill to watch. The &quotgrounds for giving it&quot unfortunately are - living in west London and supporting your local team. One guy falling over doth not a penalty make.

Give that one - and you'd have to give a minimum of eight every game. It was a horror and quite rightly will be Mike Read's legacy.
Last edited by BigCrompy on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

If only Andy Burgess had tucked away that sitter at Wrexham we might have avoided 4 years of hurt, and the greatest moment of my Oxford days when Alfie &amp Sam tore York asunder.
Bring back the black away shirt!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

A friend of mine was telling me recently that he watched that game in a pub in London and Liam Gallagher was in there. When the pen was given he slammed down his pint, said &quotThat's a fucking disgrace&quot and stormed out of the pub!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Plenty of grounds for giving a free kick for a foul on Big Kev?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Not that it matters at all now, but not a penalty. Clearly a wrong decision, although not the worst judgment call ever.

Interesting how critical the commentators were - is this because the decision was so clearly wrong, because Oxford were 'valiant minnows', or because we now live in more 'politically correct' times?
Stuart Massey
Baby

Re:

Post by Stuart Massey »

Ouch.
I still don't think I have come close the rage I felt against Frank Le Boeuf celebrating in front of the London Road.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

If only Elliott Jackson had had the courage of his convictions and put more into his dive because he got a hand to it and a penalty save at that stage would have elevated the whole event (and his career) to a whole new level.....