Frozen pitch, Barnet game at risk

Anything yellow and blue
scooter
Dashing young thing

Frozen pitch, Barnet game at risk

Post by scooter »

Rumours abound that the pitch has not been covered and is now frozen and with little likelihood of a thaw before next weekend the Barnet game is under threat.

Anyone passing the ground that can have a peep over the fence and confirm this?
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

Just had a look on the way back from Oxford and definately no covers.

I thought some had been purchased after the boxing day cancellation last season.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:Just had a look on the way back from Oxford and definately no covers.

I thought some had been purchased after the boxing day cancellation last season.
No, but it’s time the club did buy them and sort out the legal issues later about who should pay.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotscooter&quot wrote:Just had a look on the way back from Oxford and definately no covers.

No, but it’s time the club did buy them and sort out the legal issues later about who should pay.
No covers - No lessons learned after the debacle on Boxing Day then.
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

if memory serves me correct did we not borrow them from the university i know we used their groundsmen
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Borrow proper pitch covers (i.e. pay rent for), beg or buy?

It makes financial sense to me to buy but our Rent Boy / Owner would rather argue the fine details of the Licence Agreement with Firoka, who have lots more lawyers than WPL.

Meanwhile Kelvin (as a paid employee of Rent Boy) has to deal with any fallout that may ensue... I do feel for him, especially as he and his family have recently relocated from Florida and right now it's a bit on the cold side here in Oxfordrshire.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locatio ... sts/latest
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Borrow proper pitch covers (i.e. pay rent for), beg or buy?

It makes financial sense to me to buy but our Rent Boy / Owner would rather argue the fine details of the Licence Agreement with Firoka, who have lots more lawyers than WPL.

Meanwhile Kelvin (as a paid employee of Rent Boy) has to deal with any fallout that may ensue... I do feel for him, especially as he and his family have recently relocated from Florida and right now it's a bit on the cold side here in Oxfordrshire.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locatio ... sts/latest
Phew! Those nights look a bit sticky! Maybe we are going to relocate to Fort Lauderdale to combat the frost problem. -6C in Oxford last night according to my computer.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

I will be seriously passed off if this game is cancelled. I'd been planning to make a weekend of this one for ages!

If folk in Oxon can keep me posted via this thread as to how the weather's looking, I'd be eternally grateful!
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote: If folk in Oxon can keep me posted via this thread as to how the weather's looking, I'd be eternally grateful!
The weather is lovely. Wish you were here.
YeOx
Toddler

to change

Post by YeOx »

You'd have thought after the Club 'lost' around £50,000 due to the Boxing day match being pp there would have been somebody with the responsibilty of covering the pitch, but it appears not.
Even for OUFC this is shockingly bad 'organisation' -especially after Kelvin Thomas was so embarrased and angry after it happened last time.

Is the chairman in the Country?

It will be bad enough having the Barnet match pp -But with the weather forecasts looking ominous for weeks this cock up could prove very expensive what with losing a possible 'full house' for the Macclesfield match.

:oops:
UTM.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Very disappointing. I read somewhere the covers would cost about £6k - couldn't the 12thMan be used for this? In reality 12thMan is a drop in the ocean when applied to player wages/contracts but pitch covers would be a major contribution (assuming OUFC really can't afford to buy them themselves!)

I'm sure that someone will suggest that really it is Firoka that should be protecting the pitch but can OUFC continue to risk revenue like this?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

More like £6k to rent for a few days. i.e. money down the drain.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Interesting, but given that below freezing temperatures are just about as guaranteed as sunshine in the desert for the rest of this week, short of bringing in a heated balloon type cover, or elements for the undersoil heating, it is difficult to see how this &quotagreement in place&quot can possibly be effective.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

It would be intersting to know what the details of this agreement are and how they are enforcable.