Romans go home

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Romans go home

Post by Werthers Original »

Well someone say it, let's send the loan players home and get ours back. They may be mediocre at this level but they're *our* mediocre players.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I would certainly send Futcher and Baker back to Bury if this is an option.
Worley is much , much better as is Franks to be honest. Futcher looks way off and looks like his hasn't played regularly for ages and ages.

Wotton can go back to Southampton but I would keep Steve Maclean
for the duration of his loan at least.

If we had started with Worley and Heslop we would have faired better
against a very average Gills team who were made to look good in the first half. Oxford were shambolic for the first 45 minutes today.

I'll be controversial - what exactly does Alfie Potter bring to the party?

I'm disappointed with him and Craddock. I would like to see TC played up front centrally before I write him off.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Again I can only agree. C.W. should maybe start looking over his shoulder.

Oooooohhh! controversial.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:If we had started with Worley and Heslop we would have faired better against a very average Gills team who were made to look good in the first half. Oxford were shambolic for the first 45 minutes today.

I'd have gone with fared rather than faired but that's probably a personal thing.

I thought Alfie should have stayed on, again that is a personal choice but I will say that he was the only player with the speed to get past their defence. I only wish he had shown it more.
STEVE F
Brat

HOW IT IS

Post by STEVE F »

NEW PLAYERS NEED TIME TO BED IN WE MUST ALLOW THEM THAT TIME
THINK WORLEY BETTER THAN WRIGHT
TRY COLE FOR POTTER

GET OFF WILDERS BACK THIS IS FIRST BAD RUN SINCE HE ARRIVED
THOSE WHO THINK WE ARE GOING TO WALK THIS LEAGUE NEED TO WAKE UP
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: HOW IT IS

Post by Baboo »

&quotSTEVE F&quot wrote:
GET OFF WILDERS BACK THIS IS FIRST BAD RUN SINCE HE ARRIVEDUP
NO IT'S NOT. DID YOU FOLLOW WHAT HAPPENED LAST SEASON AT ALL?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Starting to get a little bit worried now.

Yesterday was simply unacceptable, and too many of Wilders signings this season are not good enough.

That coupled with Wilder's rigid fixation with a non-workable formation, or changing the formation but then picking entirely the worng players, lies att eh heart of our problems.

Tom Craddock has now had ample time to shine. The fee paid for him was a waste, and he just isn't performing. Part of this is the aforementioned silly 4-3-3, but even within that he contributes very little.

Mitchell Cole has shown no evidence of being up to league standard.

Asa Hall has only shown glimpses of usefulness.

Ben Purkiss is not the fantastic player that too many fans claim. He makes way too many mistakes and is nowhere near the player that Batt is.

I would prefer literally any of the other centre backs whose registrations we hold, than Ben Futcher, who appears to be a donkey.

Wotton needs to borrow a map, so he can find his way back whence he came.

Richie Baker is another who has shown absolutely nothing.

For a club this size, that is too many signings not good enough AND worse than the players already here.

Creighton and Worley are both significantly better than Futcher. Even Rhys Day is better than Futcher.
Batt is bette rthan Purkiss.
Bulman is better than Wotton.
Midson is better than Craddock.
LSD is better than Baker and Hall.

The first half again showed that 4-3-3 in this division is too easy to defend against. The front 3 are too far apart to be effective, and the 3 in midfield does not provide enough width, making our play predictable. We even reverted to playing long ball much too often. And in defence, the back 4 get swamped by numbers attacking, as a midfield 3 can never hold a midfield 4 or 5.

We switched to 4-4-2 in the second half and the addiiton of Beano will hopefully have shut his boo boys up. We were markedly better with Constable in a 4-4-2, and there were some signs of a partnership between Constable and Maclean.

We desperately need a couple of wide midfield players. Traditional wingers, one for each flank. But hold on, we have Alfie Potter and LSD, who can both play those roles.

Wilder was too quick to break up the promotion winning side in my view. That team won promotion because it was better than most of the teams in the Conference. It was also better than many of the teams in League 2. With Wilder's tinkering, we now find ourselves 4th from bottom of League 2 and looking capable of being beaten by many Conference teams.

Wilder needs to learn when he makes mistakes, rather than making excuses and insisting his way must always be right. It is a shambles at the moment.

Whatever happens, this club must never be allowed to drop into the Conference again, so whilst Wilder still has my support, I'm not going to allow his rigidity and insistence that his signings are better than those already here, to wreck the club.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Agree with most of this. Futcher yesterday was close to an embarrassment - indeed a donkey. Maclean looked OK, though.

Actually, I'm not convinced that the CW strategy (players out, players in) is necessarily the wrong one, but they must be the right players. I think Creighton and Midson may not be good for L2, but like GY, I'm beginning to wonder quite what value Craddock may have for us.

Now, of course, with all the pressure, CW has a classic 'stick or bust' dilemma: does he give the 'new' team a chance to 'gel' or rapidly reconsider. I would bring back Worley for Futcher, and Beano for Craddock, and the side might be tolerable.
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

on the evidence of the last two games have we had a worse centre back than futcher :?: :?:
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Clarke
Tonks
Crieghts
Wright
Batt
Chappers
Clis
Bullman
Green
Beano
Midson

This team would beat the one put out over the last few weeks 8 times out of 10. I cannot understand why Wilder has ripped this team apart, yes Chappers, who was a big part of it, is not longer available but I'd rather have Murray in place than any other of the midfield (where is the creativity??).

That's not to say I don't rate Heslop or Hall, until he started fiddling again this season I thought we looked like a top half league 2 side, ok we lost a few home games eg Bury, but the football we played was fantastic.

Many of the players we have signed were first choice conference players, we have now seen a shift to league players who can't get a game at their clubs - this has made us worse and they have been put straight into the team dumping the regulars onto the bench, how does someone like Green feel seeing Craddock given 90 minutes every week when he's been pretty poor. How does Worley feel who has been brilliant all season?

The promotion team, with their fantastic team spirit, were not given a chance to shine and we have hit the panic button too early, although it is fast becoming the time for panic stations.

Wilder is still the man for the job, although I hope he swallows his pride and gets back the players he's farmed out, they are better than what we have now got.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Short memories:

Dave Woozley? Lee Molyneaux? Even Paul McCarthy?
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

Steve Wood,
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Lee Jarman?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:

I'm disappointed with him and Craddock. I would like to see TC played up front centrally before I write him off.
Alfie is finding it much more difficult to find space at this level and much more difficult to beat players. But he's not the only one. It is noticable that the opposition often double up on him as soon as he gets the ball. If there was decent movement throughout the team giving him more room to work in we would see a more effective player.

I think we had (have?) a good player in Craddock but may be slowly destroying him. Like Midson he is not a wide player. He seems to be the one the crowd has chosen to pick on - although Futcher may have gone to the top of the boo list after yesterday's display.

I thought Craddock had a good second half yesterday. He is an intelligent footballer - he played some decent passes and was looking to do the right thing instead of just hitting and hoping. He does not look to just get rid of it and given that the team lacks confidence he has to be praised for that imho. 2 out of 3 - Beano, MacLean, Craddock should play down the middle in a 4-4-2 ???
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:I think we had (have?) a good player in Craddock but may be slowly destroying him. Like Midson he is not a wide player.
Absolutely 100% nailed-on correct. Craddock is a striker. He's not a centre forward, he's not a wide forward and, god help us, he certainly isn't a left winger.