Just relegate us now...

Anything yellow and blue
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Pretty much agree with GY and I am a little surprised at some of the panic on one of the less reactionary forums.

I guess that the problem is one of confidence and Saturday is a huge game. Win this and I could see us getting quite a few points after Chesterfield.

Wright has been a big miss and will amke a diffreence when he comes back. We need badly Beano to start scoring again and things will look very different.

So far as the breaking up of a winning side is concerned, my view is that Midson, beast and Bulman are probably not good enough for this league (Bulman possibly being an exception). Maybe too much has changed too quickly (we have tried to play a lot more football this season and have gone from a solid midfield to one maybe havin gone too far the other way?). The league is better than I had anticipated, but over what the first 7-8 games we played pretty well and should have had more points.

Win on saturday then ...
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Pretty much agree with GY and I am a little surprised at some of the panic on one of the less reactionary forums.

I guess that the problem is one of confidence and Saturday is a huge game. Win this and I could see us getting quite a few points after Chesterfield.

Wright has been a big miss and will amke a diffreence when he comes back. We need badly Beano to start scoring again and things will look very different.

So far as the breaking up of a winning side is concerned, my view is that Midson, beast and Bulman are probably not good enough for this league (Bulman possibly being an exception). Maybe too much has changed too quickly (we have tried to play a lot more football this season and have gone from a solid midfield to one maybe havin gone too far the other way?). The league is better than I had anticipated, but over what the first 7-8 games we played pretty well and should have had more points.

Win on saturday then ...
I don't understand this massive distinction between Bulman and Beano. Beano has scored a couple of excellent goals this season but he's also had some shocking games and missed some shockers too.

The &quothope&quot that he starts scoring is one I share, because once he gets going and grows in confidence in this league, he could become a real threat.

Or

Maybe we're seeing the reason why Simmo let him go. Why should the hand of grace be extended to him to adjust to this level (assuming he does) when it wasn't for players like Bulman, who seemed to have more consistent games when he did play then JC.

All in all, I'm confused!

If a player is good enough in training, but no supporters are there to watch, is he really worthy the tag of &quotgood&quot? And while I'm at it, you can answer the bloody &quottree in the woods&quot one too...
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I assume it is supposed to be a philosophical question but the scientific answer is no based on the fact that sound can only be regarded as sound if it received by a hearing instrument, like an ear say. If no instrument is there to hear then there can be no sound.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Are you sure that's the scientific response? It seems very subjective, when surely the presence of sound (or rather the waves that create sound) must exist whether or not they are received.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Subjective is indeed a better word, point still stands though.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I assume it is supposed to be a philosophical question but the scientific answer is no based on the fact that sound can only be regarded as sound if it received by a hearing instrument, like an ear say. If no instrument is there to hear then there can be no sound.
That's not true.

Sound is an energy form and exists whether it is heard or not. We can't hear some higher pitched sounds that dogs can hear. Just because we cannot hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It might arguably be irrelevant if there is no instrument to hear it, but it still exists.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:I don't understand this massive distinction between Bulman and Beano. Beano has scored a couple of excellent goals this season but he's also had some shocking games and missed some shockers too.

I guess that JC he has scored what 8 goals already this season suggests that he can make it at this level? If he stays fit then he is on for what 20 goals? Even if he scored 16 he would have had a pretty successful forst season in the league.

When JC doesn't score and misses those chances to me it shows how important he is as the other strikers hardly step up to the mark.

Bulman? Personally I thought he did OK at the start of the season and at West Ham especially.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I assume it is supposed to be a philosophical question but the scientific answer is no based on the fact that sound can only be regarded as sound if it received by a hearing instrument, like an ear say. If no instrument is there to hear then there can be no sound.
That's not true.

Sound is an energy form and exists whether it is heard or not. We can't hear some higher pitched sounds that dogs can hear. Just because we cannot hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It might arguably be irrelevant if there is no instrument to hear it, but it still exists.
Yes but dogs hear it so therefore it does exist, if there are no dogs around however...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
That's not true.

Yes but dogs hear it so therefore it does exist, if there are no dogs around however...
Then it still exists.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:I don't understand this massive distinction between Bulman and Beano. Beano has scored a couple of excellent goals this season but he's also had some shocking games and missed some shockers too.

I guess that JC he has scored what 8 goals already this season suggests that he can make it at this level? If he stays fit then he is on for what 20 goals? Even if he scored 16 he would have had a pretty successful forst season in the league.

When JC doesn't score and misses those chances to me it shows how important he is as the other strikers hardly step up to the mark.

Bulman? Personally I thought he did OK at the start of the season and at West Ham especially.
I agree with this assessment.

I would go further to say I think it was a mistake to discard Bulman so easily.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: That's not true.

Then it still exists.
Who says?
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: Yes but dogs hear it so therefore it does exist, if there are no dogs around however...
Then it still exists.
Who says?
Schrodinger's cat?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Then it still exists.
Who says?
Schrodinger's cat?
On no other football forum could you hope to find a reference to Schrodinger's cat.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

This very arguement was had on a recent episode of QI.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Who says?
I do.

Sound is energy in the form of a compression wave through a physical medium.

To totally counteract your argument, the life forms that &quothear&quot sound contain atoms of certain elements within their bodies that are heavier than iron. The nuclear reactions that take place within stars are incapable of building any elements heavier than iron, so they must be formed in another way.

That &quotanother way&quot is in fact a supernova, which happens when a star can no longer support its own mass through radiation pressure, and quite rapidly collapses. All of this collapsing material turns into a pressure wave through the gas of the star - effectively an incredibly high energy sound wave, focussed on the centre of the star.

So the most energetic event in the universe (apart from the big bang itself) is nothing more than a &quotbig clang.&quot All life on Earth requres the results of that clang in order to evolve to the point of growing ears to hear with.

Of course, none of this is the point of the koan anyway...