Stadium name

Anything yellow and blue
Yellows!
Baby

Stadium name

Post by Yellows! »

Apologies if this has been posted before. I'm interested to see what my fellow fans would want to rename the stadium after we buy it from Kassam (we can't be that far away from a purchase hopefully). Personally I like the fact that it's a stadium and not a ground and I quiet like the sound of the United Stadium we are Oxford UNITED and the fans, club, staff and everyone involved is UNITED in getting the best for our beloved club and taking us back up the leagues into top flight football once again! What are everyone else's thoughts?
Don't stop believing!
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

I'll be controversial and say it should be sponsored. More money to the club can only be a good thing, IMHO. And if it was named after a sponsor straight away, you'd get a better price (as fans wouldn't have got used to it being called something else, think Britannia Stadium and Emirates Stadium).
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I like the United Stadium name too (partly cos it was my idea :wink: ), so I think we should get the best of both worlds, and have it sponsored by United Airlines. Or use Jim Smith's contacts and get Man U to sponsor it :lol:
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Minchery Manor.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Minchery Manor.
Personally I don't want the word 'Manor' anywhere near it, The Manor is (unfortunately) in the past. And anyone who suggests 'The New Manor' should be taken outside and shot.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

Minchery Farm. It's correct (in terms of identifying the location), it's unique (can't think of any other league club who have 'Farm' in the title), and it avoids any harking back to a byegone era (through artificial 'Manor' references) or selling out to corporate interests ('JD Wetherspoon Stadium' etc).

There was a time when The New Manor sounded tempting - but that was when we first moved and the club was in decline. Now we're finding a new identity for a new era, and we can leave behind the iconography.

A second choice would be &quotGrenoble Road&quot. And rename the stands whilst you're at it - this &quotEast Stand&quot, &quotSouth Stand&quot, &quotNorth Stand&quot thing is a bit boring. Either sponsor them and get some £££ or name them after former players or locations.

When I rule the world, we'll play at Minchery Farm, the East Stand will be the Guelder Road Stand, the South Stand will be the Ken Fish Stand, the North Stand will bethe Joey Beauchamp Stand, and our newly-constructed 10,000-capacity two-tier terrace by the Ozone will be the &quotChristophe Remy Kop&quot.

You heard it here first.
Last edited by Joey's Toe on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
Personally I don't want the word 'Manor' anywhere near it, The Manor is (unfortunately) in the past. And anyone who suggests 'The New Manor' should be taken outside and shot.
Much as I agree with the sentiment, I suspect that it would have a serious reductionist effect on our fanbase.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:Minchery Farm. It's correct (in terms of identifying the location), it's unique (can't think of any other league club who have 'Farm' in the title), and it avoids any harking back to a byegone era (through artificial 'Manor' references) or selling out to corporate interests ('JD Wetherspoon Stadium' etc).

There was a time when The New Manor sounded tempting - but that was when we first moved and the club was in decline. Now we're finding a new identity for a new era, and we can leave behind the iconography.

A second choice would be &quotGrenoble Road&quot - although I still think that should be the name of the old OM Stand. This &quotEast Stand&quot, &quotSouth Stand&quot, &quotNorth Stand&quot thing is a bit boring. Either sponsor them and get some £££ or name them after former players or locations.

When I rule the world, we'll play at Minchery Farm, the East Stand will be the Grenoble Road Stand, the South Stand will be the Ken Fish Stand, the North Stand will bethe Joey Beauchamp Stand, and our newly-constructed 10,000-capacity two-tier terrace by the Ozone will be the &quotChristophe Remy Kop&quot.

You heard it here first.
But it is the South Stand that is on Grenoble Road. The East stand should be the G(u)elder Road stand. :D
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:the East Stand will be the Grenoble Road Stand
But it is the South Stand that is on Grenoble Road. The East stand should be the G(u)elder Road stand. :D
Ahem. Yes, quite right. :oops:

Amendments made accordingly...
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
Much as I agree with the sentiment, I suspect that it would have a serious reductionist effect on our fanbase.
Depends where you shoot them... :twisted:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I'm a Minchery Farm fan. I like old-fashioned names for grounds.
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

what about THE COWLEY NOU CAMP :)
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

If it were decided to name the ground and the 4 (!) stands after the five individuals who have had the biggest impact upon the development of the Club since 1893, whom might they be ?

That should help shift a few more copies of Boris' book, but my punt would be :

Ron Coppock
Arthur Turner
Ron Atkinson
Jim Smith
Fred Ford.

Any other suggestions ?
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Ground:

In today's modern times we'll have to take the money and run, it wouldn't make sense to have a quaint localised Stadium name.
&quotVirgin Galactic Stadium&quot has a nice ring to it...but it's more likely to the &quotDebt Doctor Park or the &quotBridle Gridle&quot

There's no tradition with &quotThe Kassam&quot as much as Fizza saved the club, he also demonised himself with large sections of our support, so the second it get's purchased that moniker has to go.

If a lucky fan or sugar Daddy comes along with piles of money and bought the ground then it would be perfectly acceptable to name it after themselves.

However, getting back to the spirit of the original question, it would have to be the United Stadium for me.

The stands do need to be renamed.

East Stand- Grenoble Road (I know it's not geographically correct, but at least the song still works.....)
South Stand - Aldridge Stand
West Stand (Once complete) Minchery Farm Stand
North Stand - Ken Fish Stand.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Given that our Rent Boy has spent years trying to get the finances together to buy it without the slightest sniff of a deal on the table then it’s pretty obvious that if Ian got anywhere near close to raising £13m he’d want a major long term sponsor to fund the deal.

So, as things stand it’s going to be the Kassam Stadium at Minchery Farm on Grenoble Road for quite a while to come.