Carling Cup 2nd Round Draw

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Carling Cup 2nd Round Draw

Post by recordmeister »

It's a slightly complex procedure, with regard to who is seeded and who isnt (some of it depends on the out come of tonights games) and the draw takes place on Sky Sports News at 10pm, or AFTER the conclusion of tonights games.

Here is a list of the teams in the draw:

Seeded: Everton, Birmingham, Blackburn Rovers, Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland, Bolton, Wolves, Wigan, West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom, Blackpool, Burnley, Hull, Portsmouth, Leicester, Swansea, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Watford, Preston, Cardiff*, Sheffield United*, Reading*.

Unseeded: Leeds, Millwall, Sheffield Wednesday, Peterborough, Huddersfield, Southampton, Colchester, Brentford, MK Dons, Rochdale, Bradford, Crewe, Accrington Stanley, Morecambe, Northampton, Oxford, Notts County, Port Vale, Shrewsbury, Southend, Leyton Orient, Tranmere, Scunthorpe*, Crystal Palace*, Norwich*

Anyone for any one?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

How does that work then? Are the seeded teams drawn to play against unseeded teams (in which case doesn't that mean that all teams are seeded, by default?) or do seeded teams automatically get home advantage, or is there some sort of randomness whereby being seeded means nothing other than gratifying the egos of supporters of the clubs involved?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Presumably it means that a seeded team is drawn to play against a non seeded team and then they must draw for home or away in some way.

If we seriously want to progress then of the seeded teams anybody at home would do for me (Fortress KasStad) or I would give us a chance against Hull, Portsmouth, Leicester, Watford or Preston.

For a good day out West Ham or Newcastle would be fun as I've never been to either ground but I can remember playing just about everybody else in the seeded list and have been to most of their grounds. I wouldn't mind seeing Cardiff's new home though.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Away to Watford would be nice, since I'm working there for the next couple of months. What are the potential dates for games?

Apparently it's a) draw a seeded team, b) draw for seeded team to be home or away, c) draw unseeded opponent.
Last edited by SmileyMan on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Away to Watford would be nice, since I'm working there for the next couple of months. What are the potential dates for games?
Week commencing 23/8/10 I believe
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Presumably the seedings get adjusted depending on the results tonight. So if the Burton, Hartlepool and Torquay go through then Leeds, Milwall and Sheffield Wednesday become seeded.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Carling Cup 2nd Round Draw

Post by Baboo »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:It's a slightly complex procedure, with regard to who is seeded and who isnt (some of it depends on the out come of tonights games) and the draw takes place on Sky Sports News at 10pm, or AFTER the conclusion of tonights games.
So I've been wasting my time throughout the day logging on in anticipation.

At least i can see the draw. As of mid Aug wouldn't have been able to as Sky are taking Sports News off freeview. Bastards.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Carling Cup 2nd Round Draw

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:At least i can see the draw. As of mid Aug wouldn't have been able to as Sky are taking Sports News off freeview. Bastards.
Yes, and their advert with this information is about the worst thing I have ever seen!
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

It's the Appy Ammers Away!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I hope it's not on the Wednesday, as I've got tickets for a West End show that night.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I hope it's not on the Wednesday, as I've got tickets for a West End show that night.
West End Show v East End Show. Hummm....
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

This will be only my 2nd OUFC game against top flight opposition, the first being my very first game just over 18 years ago, at Aston Villa, also in the 2nd round of the League Cup, (2nd leg 7 October 1992).
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:This will be only my 2nd OUFC game against top flight opposition, the first being my very first game just over 18 years ago, at Aston Villa, also in the 2nd round of the League Cup, (2nd leg 7 October 1992).
So here's a question - How many times have Oxford United played top flight opposition in a cup competition since the Villa game mentioned above?

I can certainly remember:
Leeds in 1994 and 1998 (where they top flight for both?)
Chelsea home and away in 1999
Everton home and away in 1999
Aston Villa at home in 2002 (Edit as I forgot this one first time round)
Charlton away in 2002
Arsenal away 2003 (not a bad cup season seeing as we beat Slumdon at home too)

Also I'm not sure whether Forest were top flight when we played them twice in 1996, and then in Dec 1999 and Jan 2000
Peterorange
Puberty

Re:

Post by Peterorange »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:This will be only my 2nd OUFC game against top flight opposition, the first being my very first game just over 18 years ago, at Aston Villa, also in the 2nd round of the League Cup, (2nd leg 7 October 1992).
So here's a question - How many times have Oxford United played top flight opposition in a cup competition since the Villa game mentioned above?

Charlton away in 2002
Arsenal away 2003 (not a bad cup season seeing as we beat s*****n at home too)

Also I'm not sure whether Forest were top flight when we played them twice in 1996, and then in Dec 1999 and Jan 2000
Sheffield Wednesday in the league cup I think, in the mid 90s. My Wednesday-supporting mate paid for my ticket as a birthday present confidently expecting a SW win, he was not happy afterwards :D
Beach Road End
Brat

Re:

Post by Beach Road End »

&quotPeterorange&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:

Charlton away in 2002
Arsenal away 2003 (not a bad cup season seeing as we beat s*****n at home too)

Sheffield Wednesday in the league cup I think, in the mid 90s. My Wednesday-supporting mate paid for my ticket as a birthday present confidently expecting a SW win, he was not happy afterwards :D
Yes Shef Weds and also away at Southampton at some point around 1996/7.