Oxford United v Birmingham City on 18 October 1996

Anything yellow and blue
Gadders
Embryo

Oxford United v Birmingham City on 18 October 1996

Post by Gadders »

Has anyone got a spare programme for this match?
If so, theres a Birmingham fan who's keen to get hold of a copy over on the OxProgs forums.
wightyellow
Puberty

I was there!

Post by wightyellow »

I think, did we loose 0-1, Jonny lager on the bench and the closest we came was thorugh Gary Smart!

Also i think this was Karen Bradys first game in charge, so to speak?

It was my first ever away game, and some lads got nicked for kicking a bottle (plastic) around by the refreshment stall. About 14,000 I think.

As for a programme, i will have somewhere...
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

If it was this game, then it was a home 0-0 draw.

Other than that, wightyellow, spot on!
wightyellow
Puberty

Ox vs Brum

Post by wightyellow »

Get you Boris!

I was at the 0-0 as well... both rubbish games anyway/// :P
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotboris&quot wrote:If it was this game, then it was a home 0-0 draw.

Other than that, wightyellow, spot on!
I remember that game - one of my friends, who like me was 16 at the time, got punched very hard in the facd by a Brum fan wandering past in Headington before the game. That was the most exciting thing about the evening, although i seem to remember Moody playing well.
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

wandering past Headington....long old wander.... :shock:
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:wandering past Headington....long old wander.... :shock:

:?:
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:wandering past Headington....long old wander.... :shock:

Headington is quite big so to wander past it would take a long time. Wandering through Headington however, where the start or finish may be within Headington, could be a much shorter walk. Simples!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Which was the Birmingham game where one of their fans climbed up the floodlight pylon at the Cuckoo Lane end? That was certainly mid to late 90's.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:

Headington is quite big so to wander past it would take a long time. Wandering through Headington however, where the start or finish may be within Headington, could be a much shorter walk. Simples!
But he didn't say 'wandering past Headington', he said 'wandering past in Headington'. Which is completely different. I'm afraid wightyellow's having a bit of a nightmare on this thread.

Birmingham fans are a nasty bunch. The only two occasions that I remember feeling properly threatened by away fans at the Manor were by Brummies. And St Andrews was always extremely unwelcoming - made worse by that horrible walk from New Street station.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: I was there!

Post by slappy »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:I think, did we loose 0-1, Jonny lager on the bench and the closest we came was thorugh Gary Smart!

Also i think this was Karen Bradys first game in charge, so to speak?

It was my first ever away game, and some lads got nicked for kicking a bottle (plastic) around by the refreshment stall. About 14,000 I think.

As for a programme, i will have somewhere...
http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... 800&#46000
This I think is the game you were thinking of (away March '93). It was my third ever Oxford game, and I believe you were right it was Karren Brady's first match as chairman. Perhaps she took a particular interest in the programme for this match.
http&#58//www&#46oxprogs&#46co&#46uk/sh ... ?unid=3262
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:

But he didn't say 'wandering past Headington', he said 'wandering past in Headington'. Which is completely different. I'm afraid wightyellow's having a bit of a nightmare on this thread.

Birmingham fans are a nasty bunch. The only two occasions that I remember feeling properly threatened by away fans at the Manor were by Brummies. And St Andrews was always extremely unwelcoming - made worse by that horrible walk from New Street station.
Indeed - I maybe should have said wandering past us but it's splitting hairs slightly
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: Birmingham fans are a nasty bunch. The only two occasions that I remember feeling properly threatened by away fans at the Manor were by Brummies. And St Andrews was always extremely unwelcoming - made worse by that horrible walk from New Street station.
I suppose it depends on how old you are and what eras you can remember. Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth, Chelsea and Millwall stand out for me as particularly unsavoury visitors in the late 70's/early 80's.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

And of course Sw!ndon were particularly unsavoury
visitors.
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

I had to do a runner from outside the Med chippy (I was just wandering about in an aimless fashion....) after a Milwall game when Joey had his shirt ripped off by Alex Rae, which pissed him off. I was so pleased I gave some stick back to a car load of Millwall fans.

He went on to score two fabulous goals and single handedly won us the game!