An Aston Villa "fan" is our next PM.

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

An Aston Villa "fan" is our next PM.

Post by Snake »

ItÔÇÖs a bit of a shame that he doesnÔÇÖt properly back/support the only fully professional football club in Oxfordshire.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re: An Aston Villa "fan" is our next PM.

Post by tomoufc »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:It’s a bit of a shame that he doesn’t properly back/support the only fully professional football club in Oxfordshire.
Bit of a shame he's a wanker as well.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I was going to say &quotbit of a shame he's a Tory&quot, but tomoufc already covered that 8)
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

At least we've got rid of the looney left.... :wink:
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:At least we've got rid of the looney left.... :wink:
Some would say that the replacement is infinitely loonier.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:At least we've got rid of the looney left.... :wink:
But they're just mad.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
But they're just mad.
Madness is thinking that the horrific, mutilated Franken Party that has just been installed will do any good.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

For those looking for omens, our last Wembley win was under a Tory PM.

Apart from that one slight crumb of comfort, I'm utterly depressed. Cameron's an odious tool. After his ridiculous scaremongering tactics about hung parliaments and 'vote Clegg get Brown', he doesn't deserve the Lib Dems' support, and most Lib Dem voters certainly will not support a Tory government.

Villa fan my arse. You can just imagine Dave at a football match, can't you?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well the emergency budget is what is going to hurt. The last budget was just pretend really, as if Gordo had done what was necessary he would have got whooped at the election by a huge conservative majority. Instead he has left Cameron and Clegg to try and rescue this country from its huge debt mountain. This is what I would do:-
VAT up to 20%
2p on basic rate of income tax
Capital gains tax up to 25%
Increase corporation tax by 2p as it is a tax on profits not salaries.
Freeze IHT thresholds
Abolish final salary pension schemes for new entrants to the civil service (if this hasn't been done already)
Make stamp duty on homes a marginal tax (like income tax)
More tax on Buy-To-Let landlords - eg no mortgage interest relief, tax on property sales at 40%.
Get rid of the 50% higher rate of income tax and abolition of the reduction in personal allowance as this is a disincentive to key workers coming to UK.
Reduce the maternity / paternity leave provisions back to where they were before New Labour came in
Cancel the policy that everyone should go to university.

Cutting Public Sector expenditure will be the hardest as this has become so bloated with some 6Million people working for it, they won't accept pay-cuts, and will be on strike all Summer.
Peterorange
Puberty

Re:

Post by Peterorange »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: Madness is thinking that the horrific, mutilated Franken Party that has just been installed will do any good.
That makes it sound quite exciting, I would vote Franken Party. Lots of MPs with two heads, horrific scars and the tendency to rip opposition limbs off at the slightest disagreement. BBC Parliament would be bigger than Britain's Got Talent. And more palatable.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

I agree with some of what Sloppy says.

VAT to 20% is inevitable.
CGT may get hit harder than 25%.
CT for smaller companies may well be reduced rather than increased, as it is a tax on investment in small business, possibly set off against increase in CT for larger companies
IHT is one of those huge Labour red herrings trying to make outt hat anyone with a home worth more than £250,000 is wealthy. The majority of people in the South east with homes worth £1m aren't even wealthy, and many earn very average salaries. IHT raises peanuts and costs vast amounts to collect. The net gain to the treasury of IHT is very small in relation to total tax revenues.
Can't see Income Tax going up, not with Primary Class 1 NIC already going up, and a top rate of 50% already in place. It is already very borderline to losing entrepreneurial talent to foreign soil to avoid the tax, and the marginal rate of tax is in some cases in excess of 90%, which is grossly unfair. The country will not get out of economic mess by losing investment.
Personal allowance is set to rise to £10,000 which is one of my favourite LibDem policies, as it makes working far more worthwhile than benefits and it helps those most in need. Whether it is affordable to fully implement in year 1 is open to question.
I would love to see a Landlord's Tax, as the explosion of buy to let is one of the primary causes of the rise in property prices, and lack of affordable housing, especially in rural communities.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Wed May 12, 2010 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

Who cares a stuff whether Cameron likes football or not?

He's going to be a good leader. He is saying exactly the right things at this stage.

We are all in this mess together. It's going to be difficult, we have to look after those that can't help themselves, we have to be more responsible.

I know it is just words but cannot see what is 'odious' or 'tool' like about these comments.

I am interested to imagine what PQT will be like when Cameron is away and Clegg has to take the lectern. Stresses and strains or what?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:Who cares a stuff whether Cameron likes football or not?

He's going to be a good leader. He is saying exactly the right things at this stage.

We are all in this mess together. It's going to be difficult, we have to look after those that can't help themselves, we have to be more responsible.

I know it is just words but cannot see what is 'odious' or 'tool' like about these comments.

I am interested to imagine what PQT will be like when Cameron is away and Clegg has to take the lectern. Stresses and strains or what?
You have to remember Tim that some people will hate the Conservatives just because they think it is a trendy thing to do. They vote because of some long gone notional working class ideal. Because they can't possibly vote Tory, irrelevant of whether the policies are good or not.

As someone who generally falls between the LibDems and Conservatives in my political views, I'm really happy with this coalition.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Accountants and petit bourgeouisie support the Tories shock!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:You have to remember Tim that some people will hate the Conservatives just because they think it is a trendy thing to do. They vote because of some long gone notional working class ideal. Because they can't possibly vote Tory, irrelevant of whether the policies are good or not.
That's right - people who don't vote tory are misguided and prejudiced. How silly of me not to have recognised my own failings in this regard.

Or maybe it's because, as Sackcloth Ox says, the important thing about government is the ability to look after society as a whole and help those who can't help themselves, whereas the tories are historically rather better at looking after middle class people with houses and cars and jobs who don't like the idea of being taxed too much. Cameron might try to come across as all caring and socially responsible, but you only have to look at and listen to the majority of his MP's and party members to realise that's not their agenda at all.

Hey, maybe this coalition will be the best thing that's ever happened to politics, bring about lasting electoral reform and unite the country, but excuse me if I'm a little bit sceptical. The ecstatic grin all over Cameron's face on entering number ten shows how politics these days is all about wanting to be in power rather than any zeal to do real good. I think this is true of most politicians, and is why I'm depressed about two Blair clones shaking hands on the steps of Downing Street (despite having voted Lib Dem myself).