Chiltern Railways press release.

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Chiltern Railways press release.

Post by Swissbloke »

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/news/ ... o-wembley/

Date: 05 May 2010 13:50

Chiltern Railways will be running extra services to Wembley for fans attending the Oxford v York game on Sunday, 16 May.

We run train services to Wembley Stadium station, which is directly opposite Wembley Stadium and will be stopping additional services at Wembley Stadium especially for this match.

You are advised to drive to one of the following stations: Denham, Gerrards Cross, Beaconsfield, Princes Risborough, Haddenham &amp Thame Parkway, Bicester North and Banbury. All of these stations have large car parks and will be served by Wembley stadium trains.

SatNav postcodes: Denham: UB9 5ES – Gerrards Cross: SL9 8PP - Beaconsfield: HP9 2PJ – Princes Risborough: HP27 9DN – Haddenham &amp Thame Parkway: HP17 8EW - Bicester North: OX26 6EF - Banbury: OX16 8AB.

A special timetable will be loaded on our website on Monday.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

It's a waste of time stopping after Princes Risborough I would have thought.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by scooter »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:It's a waste of time stopping after Princes Risborough I would have thought.
Why?

It may suprise you that there are a lot of fans in South Oxfordshire who use Thame and Wycombe to get to London.

Anyway we've got a coach sorted so happy days.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:
&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:It's a waste of time stopping after Princes Risborough I would have thought.
Why?

It may suprise you that there are a lot of fans in South Oxfordshire who use Thame and Wycombe to get to London.
I would imagine the point is that the trains will be full, not that there won't be demand.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

Fair point.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I think these fixtures on on sundays because the railway companies have extra available stock due to less regular services running. Therefore I expect there'll be extra capacity. The nearer you get to London the less seats will be available, however and I expect a fair few will have to stand.

Also for those of you that don't use trains you are allowed to take alchol on board and consume it.

If anyone's going this way please take some photos. I'm a bit of a train buff you see. Don't tell anyone!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:I think these fixtures on on sundays because the railway companies have extra available stock due to less regular services running. Therefore I expect there'll be extra capacity. The nearer you get to London the less seats will be available, however and I expect a fair few will have to stand.

Also for those of you that don't use trains you are allowed to take alchol on board and consume it.

If anyone's going this way please take some photos. I'm a bit of a train buff you see. Don't tell anyone!
I hate to spoil your party, but British Transport Police often introduce alcohol bans for trains to/from London when there is a big Wembley football match on. (For instance they did when Villa went there in the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea)
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Everytime I get on a train to London from Banbury (early season Oxford away games London-way always seem to clash with some sort of egg-chasing final), it is standing room only from Banbury and that's when it isn't even a team which geographically would use this line.

Therefore, unless they put on a lot of extra trains and carriages, expect to be playing sardines!!!
ConcreteBob
Baby

Post by ConcreteBob »

I live in Warwick so may well got on the rattler there.

Good stuff from Chiltern Railways, probably the best Train Operating Company in the country.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotscooter&quot wrote:
Why?

I would imagine the point is that the trains will be full, not that there won't be demand.
After waiting 24 years to get to Wembley and 14 years for the chance of promotion I would have thought standing up for 30 minutes on a train with a few hundred fellow Oxford fans was a tiny price to pay. I'd be happy to stand all the way from Birmingham. Every year I go to Cheltenham on the trian and stand all the way - It's all part of the experience.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I'll be disappointed if I get a seat on the Thame express.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Geoff »

My son and I live near High Wycombe, so we'll be getting on at Princes Risborough or Beaconsfield. :D
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Me and my son are thinking of joining the train at Gerrards Cross or Beaconsfield, as there is a lot of engineering work planned on the tube for next Sunday and it's only a 40 minute drive to those stations.

It might mean standing for 20 minutes, but we can live with that for the experience, and getting directly into the stadium, and for the easy travel from the stadium.

Anyone on here know what the stations are like? Is there parking?

We've not used Chiltern trains before, but the service looks impressive, and the enhanced timetable for the match is good. I assume it isn't necessary to book in advance.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

GY I use Chiltern Railways a lot and the service is usually excellent ( it's run by the Germans).

Beaconsfield has loads of parking.

Getting out after a game at Wembley is a bit slow, they have a Disneyland type queue system just outside the stadium but at last seasons Carling cup final we were back at High Wycombe station just under an hour after the match ended, so not too bad.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:GY I use Chiltern Railways a lot and the service is usually excellent ( it's run by the Germans).

Beaconsfield has loads of parking.

Getting out after a game at Wembley is a bit slow, they have a Disneyland type queue system just outside the stadium but at last seasons Carling cup final we were back at High Wycombe station just under an hour after the match ended, so not too bad.
Cheers Scooter. Sounds ideal.

Do you know if they have ticket machines ont he stations, and if there is a discount for advanced booking of tickets?