Forest Green Ramblings

Anything yellow and blue
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

Second goal was quality.

Thats the first time for ages that for two games in a row there have been periods of play that make it fun being an Oxford supporter.

Burnell was a big improvement on recent form as was Murray. Killock, Chapman and Nelthorpe have added some quality to the team and Motty is beginning to look decent again.

I like what I've seen of CW so far very refreshing that he admitted the FGR goal was down to him and Mickey not briefing the subs properly.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:Motty is beginning to look decent again.
He got a bit lucky with the twice that Afful got past him especially the first time when he should have scored but opted for the more difficul hit the post option.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Comedy goal? That's harsh, just because we're not used to seeing Yemi head the ball. I think he deserves a little more credit, especially as he won 3-4 other headers which were reasonably well directed which is more than could be said for Sappleton who is about 3' taller! (Please don't read that as meaning I'm one of those who has turned on Sappleton already as I think he has some nice touches ... sometimes!).

I think the laughter was a sign of relief for (a) breaking the deadlock, and (b) scoring a league goal for the first time in months.

I haven't had the benefit of seeing the video but the second goal looked like it might have been offside but I really don't care!

Credit to FGR who I thought played some neat stuff and continued to do so even when two down (even allowing for some careless challenges which resulted in cautions).
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Comedy goal? That's harsh, just because we're not used to seeing Yemi head the ball. I think he deserves a little more credit, especially as he won 3-4 other headers which were reasonably well directed which is more than could be said for Sappleton who is about 3' taller! (Please don't read that as meaning I'm one of those who has turned on Sappleton already as I think he has some nice touches ... sometimes!).

I think the laughter was a sign of relief for (a) breaking the deadlock, and (b) scoring a league goal for the first time in months.

I haven't had the benefit of seeing the video but the second goal looked like it might have been offside but I really don't care!

Credit to FGR who I thought played some neat stuff and continued to do so even when two down (even allowing for some careless challenges which resulted in cautions).
Agree about Yemi's heading - he won a lot in the air &amp it can't all have been luck.
Watched the goals on tv - they did not show much build up or the players out wide right so can't give an opinion but if those on screen were the only ones to go by he was probably offside.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Comedy goal? That's harsh,
Watch Yemi's reaction after he headed it and then again when he saw it had gone in the net and then again when he celebrated by wildly bashing his head, pure comedy genius.

I wish to take nothing away from the rest of his performance during the game and we were enjoying a good spell of pressure.

Don't get so touchy everybody, it was a funny goal, much like when the ball spanked Steve Biggins in the face against Man Utd. and sailed into the far corner.

It was funny, and if you can't see that there is comedy in football then I pity you.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Comedy goal? That's harsh, just because we're not used to seeing Yemi head the ball. I think he deserves a little more credit, especially as he won 3-4 other headers which were reasonably well directed which is more than could be said for Sappleton who is about 3' taller! (Please don't read that as meaning I'm one of those who has turned on Sappleton already as I think he has some nice touches ... sometimes!).

Yemi scored against Ebbsfleet though. And York. Something conveniently forgotten by the esteemed Ox Mail scribe, ('Yemi's first league goal since September'.)You what?

No way was second goal offside. Perfect through ball.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re:

Post by amershamwrighty »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:Comedy goal? That's harsh,
Watch Yemi's reaction after he headed it and then again when he saw it had gone in the net and then again when he celebrated by wildly bashing his head, pure comedy genius.

I wish to take nothing away from the rest of his performance during the game and we were enjoying a good spell of pressure.

Don't get so touchy everybody, it was a funny goal, much like when the ball spanked Steve Biggins in the face against Man Utd. and sailed into the far corner.

It was funny, and if you can't see that there is comedy in football then I pity you.
I thought it was funny.

Yemi changed the game and that is good enough for me - all credit to him.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Yemi was my man of the match because he changed the course of the game when he came on. Not so much for his goal, which was priceless, but the pass for the second goal was pure class. It's the kind of end product we've been seeking from Yemi for years now.

Whether his goal was lucky or not, I've always thought Yemi wins many more headers than we've any right to expect.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I think Yemi's reaction to the goal was funny but the goal itself wasn't. He was clearly in a position trying to score, the ball was played in to him so he could score and then he headed the ball in an attempt to score. OK he might not have had the perfect connection or the one that he wanted but he achieved what he was trying to do.

As for the second goal from the players you can see on the TV pictures its borderline. The defender stepped forwards and then backwards and Constable moved sideways. If you pause it just before the pass he was clearly on side. If you pause it just after the ball left Yemi's foot he was on side. However if you pause it exactly as it was played then he was marginally off side. Any decision that a linesman made would have to be guesswork as it would be impossible to know one way opr the other.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotMally&quot wrote:OK he might not have had the perfect connection or the one that he wanted
Which is what makes it a comedy goal. If it had gone where he wanted it to go it would have been a good goal, if it had looped over the bar it would have been anything but funny, that fact that it looped up and over the keeper in a manner that would have been virtually impossible to do deliberately makes it funny.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Okay, I'm convinced. It was absolutely ruddy hilarious! :lol:
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Okay, I'm convinced. It was absolutely ruddy hilarious! :lol:
Yup, I'm holding my sides just thinking about it now.