FA Trophy

Anything yellow and blue

Should we have a serious tilt at winning the FA Trophy?

Yes
40%
No
23%
Start to take it seriously if we reach the quarter-finals
37%

Total votes: 43

Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Which people did you have in mind, Mr Bradbury?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:I wonder if anybody can plausibly claim to have travelled to an Oxford game using the ferry at Babcock Hythe?
It’s been out of service now for a number of years. The iron boat itself is still there rusting away on the bank of the Thames next to the pub that takes its name from old the river crossing operation.

I dug out this thread as much out of curiosity as to how that ferry could possibly help to take you to a game as much as continuing this seemingly everlasting theme of Mickey Mouse competitions that we now have to play in.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:I wonder if anybody can plausibly claim to have travelled to an Oxford game using the ferry at Babcock Hythe?
It’s been out of service now for a number of years. The iron boat itself is still there rusting away on the bank of the Thames next to the pub that takes its name from old the river crossing operation.

I dug out this thread as much out of curiosity as to how that ferry could possibly help to take you to a game as much as continuing this seemingly everlasting theme of Mickey Mouse competitions that we now have to play in.
Setanta Shield= Mickey Mouse. FA Trophy definitely not.

Ever the optimist I sense a run in this competition this season. Er... third round?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: I dug out this thread as much out of curiosity as to how that ferry could possibly help to take you to a game
If you lived on the far side of the ferry to the football ground?
entirely disenchanted
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: I dug out this thread as much out of curiosity as to how that ferry could possibly help to take you to a game
If you lived on the far side of the ferry to the football ground?
Technically everyone lives on one side or the other of the ferry, though that doesn’t mean half of us need to use it to go to footy – though that’s a bit like saying the front of everyone’s house is “sea facing
Last edited by Snake on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

BabLock Hythe surely ?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Technically everyone lives on one side or the other of the ferry, though that doesn’t mean half of us need to use it to go to footy
I wonder if this may be why I phrased my original query as I did?
entirely disenchanted
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Re:

Post by Brahma Bull »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Which people did you have in mind, Mr Bradbury?
The TiU community spring to mind. 8)
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:

Setanta Shield= Mickey Mouse. FA Trophy definitely not.

Ever the optimist I sense a run in this competition this season. Er... third round?
I’ll look forward to reading your first hand match report from Sudbury as I assume you’re going to this prestigious tie.

And we’re bound to win, because they’re even more crap than Oxford City, so you can tell us in detail about that glorious triumph while the rest of us do our annual day out with the wife around the shops for Christmas.

(and my apologies to anyone who likes shopping on here)
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I'll be going to Sudbury. I've sacrificed the trip to Torquay for this one, so hopefully I'll be watching a win instead of an abysmal south-coast capitulation.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Well, that’s £5,000 ground out of the mud at Sudbury to put towards the rent as a result of today’s distraction from getting out of Division V. And ooh, we’re in the second round again and this time there is £6,000 (minus win bonuses) up for grabs on top of a share of the gate money!

And it just keeps gets better - if we win the 2nd round tie then the purse becomes £7,000 for the 3rd round victors, and a massive £8,000 for the 4th round winners.

That’s £26,000 for four victories on the trot, or about 2,500 on the gate for a single league game.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Well, that’s £5,000 ground out of the mud at Sudbury to put towards the rent as a result of today’s distraction from getting out of Division V. And ooh, we’re in the second round again and this time there is £6,000 (minus win bonuses) up for grabs on top of a share of the gate money!

And it just keeps gets better - if we win the 2nd round tie then the purse becomes £7,000 for the 3rd round victors, and a massive £8,000 for the 4th round winners.

That’s £26,000 for four victories on the trot, or about 2,500 on the gate for a single league game.
Wins breed confidence. And what if we do get to Wembley?

Cue sarky retort.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:Well, that’s £5,000 ground out of the mud at Sudbury to put towards the rent as a result of today’s distraction from getting out of Division V. And ooh, we’re in the second round again and this time there is £6,000 (minus win bonuses) up for grabs on top of a share of the gate money!

Wins breed confidence. And what if we do get to Wembley?

Cue sarky retort.
If we do get to Wembley, I have a dilemma. I remember 'Shotts going up to lift the Milk Cup' - I was 12, I was 12. Do I want to watch us in the FA Trophy Final - I honestly don't know. It seems to be a spoiler of that memory.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

You've got a dilemma? I'm getting married on the day of the final.
entirely disenchanted
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:You've got a dilemma? I'm getting married on the day of the final.
Simple Pena - just move the ceremony to the Wembley pitch at half-time. Is your cat attending the wedding?