The Sandgrounders

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

The Sandgrounders

Post by Snake »

I don’t think I’d like to see us playing Them every week, or have sight of that ref again even though he did give us two penalties (one of which was dodgy)

But hey, it’s game 13 and it was on a Tuesday night and we still didn’t lose..
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: The Sandgrounders

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I don’t think I’d like to see us playing Them every week, or have sight of that ref again even though he did give us two penalties (one of which was dodgy)

Dire Southport
Dire Oxford
Dire ref
Dire match.

Ref also missed the penalty on Brevett, and failed to book numerous bad challenges from both sides. Southport's number 4 was very lucky to be on the park by the end of the game, as was their number 10, as was Chris Willmott.

Turley seemed glued to his line and was at fault for their second goal in not claiming a straightforward cross, and failed to come for several other crosses. Willmott at fault for thier first for not staying goal side.

Slight positives, Duffy played well, won plenty in the air and directed his knock downs well. Anaclet much improved.

Disappointments (ignoring the ref) Basham so poor after Saturday being so good. Gilly and Brevett giving the ball away too much. Pettefer much quieter.

Tactics to man mark Burgess worked, but Burgess should have simply stood on their penalty spot forcing the number 4 to drop deep and stretch the play and remove any chance of offside (provided Burgess didn't interfere). Also Burgess could have taken many of the corner kicks making it impossible for the number 4 to man mark him. The only alternative for the number 4 would have been to stop man marking.

Southports general tactics of get a goal, then 10 men behind the ball, together with very heavy tackling, time wasting, and generally niggly play, was horrible to watch. You can see why they do it as they are a poor side, and it gives them a chance of a result.

Fair play to their travelling support tonight. It's a lon way from Southport to watch that on a rainy Tuesday in October.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Away support was er, crap in numbers and crap in volume, and this was their biggest game of the season so let's just get out of this league pronto is all I can say.

Agree about the Rufus incident though – he was fouled outside the box but ran on and then got fouled again in the box so the ref should have played on and then blown for a pen.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Anaclet much improved.
I can't agree with that statement. He does make a nuisance of himself and he does give us an outlet down the right but his delivery is nothing short of useless. I didn't see one decent cross from him all night. Yes he got the first penalty but a right wingers job is to get past the left back and sling the ball in the mixer, he just doesn't appear to be able to do that.

Brevett wasn't much better either.

Pretty much agree with the rest especially the ref. You can always tell when the referee has had a bad game because the stewards get all excited about getting him off the pitch.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Just found videos of the goals last night.

Brevett was slightly more at fault than Willmott for the first.
Gilly at fault for the second (and Turley for staying put).
Both penalties awarded to us were correct decisions. I haven't found a video of the Brevett penalty not given yet, but I'm sure that should have been a penalty too.

http&#58//www&#46portchat&#46net/viewto ... 2a893b3c56
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

My view of the Brevett &quotpenalty&quot was that he was fouled outside the area but stayed on his feet so the ref let play go on, he was fouled again inside the area to which the referee then decided to give the original foul.

Poor refereeing.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I don’t think I’d like to see us playing Them every week, or have sight of that ref again even though he did give us two penalties (one of which was dodgy)

Ref - beyond description.

Southport - poor team but great tactics.

Crowd - great - pressured ref to give us second pen.

We did play complacently tonighht so I stand corrected for my earlier over self-confidence. See tonight as a blip though. There will be other games like this along the way.

Not a good game but a good spectacle. So disagree in part with you Terry. A season ticket has been good value so far.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i thought peteffer was a good contender for man of the match in terms of his determination to win the ball, play it, and push the team forward.

yes southport were big, ugly, and played nasty, and we had the misfortune to come up against a ref who seemed allergic to showing them the cards they deserved for it, which would have ended it one way or another. but i'd bet this isn't the last time that will happen this season - so what's the plan when that happens? we didn't show much sign of playing round or through them - a bad night at the office i guess - and while we got penalties to get us the point (and i wasn't convinced the second was a penalty), the ref didn't give others that clearly were, so when you have a s**t ref., you can't rely on getting the right decisions.

grr.

well, positives: duffy and basham worked well together, and despite coming up against a team that stifled us, us having an off day, and a ref who aided and abetted a horrible game, we still got a point. lots of praise for the team for ensuring that happened.

didn't hear the interviews after, but the atmosphere in the east stand, and the players body language, was akin to a loss. so if we learn lessons from this, and still get a point, good.

sorry, i'm still livid at that ref - he needs to look at himself as it was no surprise there was a set-to during the match. if he doesn't start punishing nasty play like that, it's no shock that teammates look to stand up for one another.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

The ref totally lost control of the game last night (if he ever had it under control in the first place) but his poor decision making probably helped us overall. The second penalty looked like a good challenge to me but the ref crumbled under the pressure from the crowd.

At the time I was on my feet and incensed about the Brevett decision but mainly because it looked like he was going to book him. They way I saw it he was clearly fouled outside the box but went on and then lost the ball so fell over to claim the original foul.

A few yellow cards early on would have helped the game no end and should have stamped out some of the over physical Southport tactics and may have allowed the game to flow more.

Overall I think we played some very good football, passed well with lots of movement off the ball but we had no cutting edge in the box. Duffy was the only one to be able to get his head to the ball but when he did it totally lacked any power or direction. Apart from that I can't remember any shots on goal from inside the box.

Top of the league and 6 points clear but I still think we desperately need a natural goalscorer.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Just found videos of the goals last night.

Brevett was slightly more at fault than Willmott for the first.
Gilly at fault for the second (and Turley for staying put).
Both penalties awarded to us were correct decisions. I haven't found a video of the Brevett penalty not given yet, but I'm sure that should have been a penalty too.

http&#58//www&#46portchat&#46net/viewto ... 2a893b3c56
As the Southport fan says, how on earth has that first goal been awarded to Maamria? He was nowhere near the ball at any point. Or is the camera playing tricks?
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:My view of the Brevett &quotpenalty&quot was that he was fouled outside the area but stayed on his feet so the ref let play go on, he was fouled again inside the area to which the referee then decided to give the original foul.

Poor refereeing.
That was my view on it. very very poor reffing. I want to say a lot on the ref but i cant add anything that hasnt already been said so will be quiet on that.

However, I was also incensed by the horrific sportsmanship of the Southport players after the 2nd penalty award. about five of them chased the linesman and the other six were all doing their level best to put Duffy off. now im all for a little bit of gamesmanship in these circumstances but when three of them come over and start moving the ball and picking it up then its out of order. their captain was the worst offender especially when he wouldnt leave duffy alone even after the ref had had a go! i just hope duffy gets his tenner off that mouthy t**t. i suppose this point actually brings me back to the ref cos if he had got on top of southports poor behaviour throughout the game then maybe he wouldnt have lost total control of the situation. i honestly thought the penalty would not get taken!

phew! rant over.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

My two points last night.

I would defend Turley a little and give some credit to the corner taker. Two excellent, fast, low flighted kicks delivered into the perfect area. For a goalie to deal with those is very hard indeed.

And Duffey/Duffy/Duffer. Two excellent pens mate, but...........when you equalise at home with a few minutes to go, cut out the f***ing posing and celebrating, get the ball back on the centre spot ASAP and go for the f***ing win.

I was meant to be celebrating but found myself shouting abuse at the scorer.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Having seen the highlights from last night I think both pens were justified. As for the two we conceded - the first looked as though Brevett got in Gilly's way and in the confusion they combined to score an own goal. The second was clearly Gilly's fault and he mis-timed his jump and didn't get anything on the ball which dropped over his head.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I know I live in a parallel universe and watch completely different matches to others here, but did we really play that badly? - other than defending set pieces, which has been a problem all season - which was going to come home to roost eventually. Call me insane, but I think we played a load of really good passing football last night, nice link up play, good running off the ball, which, on another night, could have been devastating. And if they carry on playing in that manner at home, pass and move, nice angles, over the whole of the season, that would be great. OK, it didn't create a mass of really clear cut chances, but look at the statz, look at the numbers, think about the balance of play. With patience, that's a mode of playing that'll see us through the conference and much more. OK, it won't work away, with mud and long grass, but on decent pitches .... As one of life's great pessimists, a combination of Eeyore and Marvin the Paranoid, I find the negative reporting of last night, well, weird. Oh and I thought Basham played really well, again, too - I must make an appointment to see my therapist.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

If you are very quick on the pause button you can clearly see that the first goal was a Brevett own goal - I thought so on the night.

Nice to see that Sky are keeping up their reputation for mispronouncing players names from outside the Premiership. Yemi 'Odubadeen' must be so quick that the back of his shirt is just a blur. After they messed up Anaclet at the Crawley game, I think Eddie should go back to Odhiambo to see how they cope at the next televised game.