IL on the Non-League Show

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Thanks Myles, I have to be honest and say this is the first I have heard of the Non-League Show!

But why didn't the club site give some publicity to the fact (a) he was going to be on, (b) he has been on, and (c) report what was said? (I know you have no idea because you're not employed at the club but you know what I mean!!).

Judging by the lack of dismay on here so far it may be that no-one else is particularly bothered: perhaps I'm letting it wind me up because I have a personal &quotnon-communication&quot problem with the club at the moment , over and above the general silence that has been the norm recently unitl IL spoke up last night?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:Am I the only one to be baffled by the fact he chooses to pour his heart out to a London radio station where few Oxford supporters will hear it, rather than on Radio Oxford? And then for the official club site to let a major interview go un-reported? I have only just got in and don't live locally so apologies if RadOx have been playing a recording of it, but for the official site not to communicate what was said is, at best 'disappointing'.
To be fair, although the Non-League Show is produced by BBC London, it is aimed at a national audience and is available on DAB and online.

They were also very supportive of the Ultimate Yellows stuff, interviewing some muppet about that when it was launched.
It is an excellent show. Strange choice of medium by Mr Lenagan nonetheless. Who I thought talked a good game. Bit like Patto really.

I hope we have enough points to stay up. (Did I really say that?)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:[
They were also very supportive of the Ultimate Yellows stuff, interviewing some muppet about that when it was launched.
Oh yes, the Ultimate Yellows - whatever happened to them?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Am I the only one to be baffled by the fact he chooses to pour his heart out to a London radio station where few Oxford supporters will hear it, rather than on Radio Oxford? And then for the official club site to let a major interview go un-reported? I have only just got in and don't live locally so apologies if RadOx have been playing a recording of it, but for the official site not to communicate what was said is, at best 'disappointing'.
Don’t knock Chris Williams and the Official Site. If Lenagan had told him to put up a podcast or transcript of last night’s interview on there he would have done.

The real owner of our club moves in mysterious ways, it appears..
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I don't intend to knock Chris Williams personally but at the end of the day it is the official club news site and this sounds very much like official club news to me. Or are you suggesting IL told him NOT to put it on?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

No, IÔÇÖm just saying that IÔÇÖd have preferred it if IL had taken the decision to ÔÇÿspeakÔÇÖ to Us first.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Oh yes, the Ultimate Yellows - whatever happened to them?
Good question. I got a message on facebook from them about a big presence on Boxing Day, despite not being a member of their facebook group. So, impressed by their resourcefulness and keenness, I turned up at the appointed place and time to try and lend my vocal support, and couldn't find them.

Well, actually I found one of their most prominent media mouthpieces - you know who you are - and asked what was going on. He waved vaguely behind him and said 'I think they're over there somewhere'.

I think there must be a commitment/communication issue going on. Shame, as it was a nice idea. God knows home games need cheering up with some kind of atmosphere...
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

You should know better than to believe &quotprominent media mouthpieces&quot - they're all mouth and no trousers.

I think the problem is that people are so demoralised by the on-field stuff that they can't be arsed to get geared up for displays of colour and noise and stuff. If there was something to cheer on the pitch (in terms of enjoyable watching, not necessarily results) then I reckon people would be much more motivated to do the whole Ultimate Yellows thing.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Spot on Mr Boris, results have somewhat stunted the growth of the &quotUltimates&quot!

The first outing against Aldershot was superb, since then the few get together haven't worked.

There's a real will for this stuff i think, but until the club makes it easier for fans to move around a stand to congregate in one area it'll not take on, Whenever there's been a planned Ultimate get together , the club has always been negative when you call to find out where the best place to sit is. For example, for the Aldershot game the chappie on the ticket desk, laughed and said only 10 people had moved for the match, when clearly a good 300 folks had done so.

If someone would offer the club some money to sponsor a &quotsinging area&quot or similarly better named &quotnoisy fan section&quot do peeps think this would work?
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

The club have to make the East Stand sit-where-you-want - people could still have season tickets, but without a reserved seat. And build something to block off the carpark end.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Actually perhaps Ultimate Yellows has turned into a competition, like that Japanese show Endurance that Clive James had so much fun with.
entirely disenchanted
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Spot on Mr Boris, results have somewhat stunted the growth of the &quotUltimates&quot!

The first outing against Aldershot was superb, since then the few get together haven't worked.

There's a real will for this stuff i think, but until the club makes it easier for fans to move around a stand to congregate in one area it'll not take on, Whenever there's been a planned Ultimate get together , the club has always been negative when you call to find out where the best place to sit is. For example, for the Aldershot game the chappie on the ticket desk, laughed and said only 10 people had moved for the match, when clearly a good 300 folks had done so.
i agree - after all, the kidderminster away game (which i believe was an 'utlimates' gathering) was a lot of fun.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:You should know better than to believe &quotprominent media mouthpieces&quot - they're all mouth and no trousers.

I think the problem is that people are so demoralised by the on-field stuff that they can't be arsed to get geared up for displays of colour and noise and stuff. If there was something to cheer on the pitch (in terms of enjoyable watching, not necessarily results) then I reckon people would be much more motivated to do the whole Ultimate Yellows thing.
Yeah, but why advertise a get-together and then not make any effort to make it happen (and in your case completely ignore it :wink: )? It certainly won't take off with organisation like that.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:The club have to make the East Stand sit-where-you-want - people could still have season tickets, but without a reserved seat.
I've been banging on about this ever since we moved to the Kassam. The argument usually put forward to counter it is reduced capacity, but I hardly think that's a problem these days.

If non-one's interested in that, then Swissbloke's idea of a sponsored singing area (the club could never officially support a standing area, but that's what it would be in practice) is a very good one. Something the Ultimate Yellows should seriously consider I think. Not sponsoring it themselves, obviously, but driving the idea forward with potentially interested parties.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:The club have to make the East Stand sit-where-you-want - people could still have season tickets, but without a reserved seat.
I've been banging on about this ever since we moved to the Kassam. The argument usually put forward to counter it is reduced capacity, but I hardly think that's a problem these days.

If non-one's interested in that, then Swissbloke's idea of a sponsored singing area (the club could never officially support a standing area, but that's what it would be in practice) is a very good one. Something the Ultimate Yellows should seriously consider I think. Not sponsoring it themselves, obviously, but driving the idea forward with potentially interested parties.
We invited someone from UYs to come and speak to OxVox at a committee meeting. But no one turned up. We should be helping each other. Boris is yr main point of contact I guess. But happy to help.