8 from 11

Anything yellow and blue
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

8 from 11

Post by Myles Francis »

Nope - not my pools coupon. 8 points now to be made up from 11 games. By close of play Saturday, we could be just 5 points behind as D&ampR don't have a game. If we then just match their results, we could finish 26th March just 2 points behind with 6 to play. Yes, D&ampR will have the extra game in hand, but it'll be interesting to see how they respond to that sort of pressure.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Last nights results were a classic &quotwobble-starter&quot - the form team being pegged back to a draw by a late goal, with the previous leaders cementing a return to winning ways.

I almost (but not quite) feel happier in our situation than theirs. I hope the boys can keep up the pressure.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Hope springs eternal.
entirely disenchanted
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I agree. Stalking is so much easier. Nothing to lose but all to gain.

But one defeat and we could have blown it.

And as last night showed if they draw twice and lose to us we are really in the mix.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

My concern is Smth and his negative tactics. Why we went 4-5-1 after taking the lead is anyone's guess. Why move Yemi out wide, when his pace against a slow back line was our best weapon?

We had a terrible Southport team on the rack, we could of gone on to get 3 or 4, but Smith chose to conserve what we had...in the end we clung on for a win, only thanks to some woeful finishing. If one of those had gone in, we would be here talking about how we'd missed the chance to narrow the gap.

Oh well, 3 more points and a 4th straight win, but I still worry.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:My concern is Smth and his negative tactics. Why we went 4-5-1 after taking the lead is anyone's guess. Why move Yemi out wide, when his pace against a slow back line was our best weapon?

We had a terrible Southport team on the rack, we could of gone on to get 3 or 4, but Smith chose to conserve what we had...in the end we clung on for a win, only thanks to some woeful finishing. If one of those had gone in, we would be here talking about how we'd missed the chance to narrow the gap.

Oh well, 3 more points and a 4th straight win, but I still worry.
Was it 4-5-1? I thought Robinson came on to play alongside Duffy. Yemi went back to Anaclet's midfield spot while Eddie went to full back to replace the injured Day. Not there myself but thats apparently happened.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Duffy went off with a strop on and Hargreaves came on into midfield. Actually felt sorry for Marv because he was so isolated for the last 15 minutes.

---

Wouldn't have missed yesterday's game for the world. Walking around Liverpool with an Oxford scarf getting very bemused looks from a sea of red-nylon clad locals (and daytrippers) and barca fans was something else.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Thought I had posted a response but it didn't appear. Sorry if it turns up twice.

On the radio they did say it was a 4-4-2 formation with Yemi wide right.

Why do that when Pettefer could have gone straight into the midfield is beyond me.

The only possible scenario I can thinkofis that Jim wanted some height on the pitch seeing as Southport had brought their giraffe on.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Wouldn't have missed yesterday's game for the world. Walking around Liverpool with an Oxford scarf getting very bemused looks from a sea of red-nylon clad locals (and daytrippers) and barca fans was something else.
Was that in the semi-finals of the competition to decide which fans have the highest opinion of themselves?

I understand Celtic are taking on Newcastle in the other match.
entirely disenchanted
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Duffy went off with a strop on and Hargreaves came on into midfield. Actually felt sorry for Marv because he was so isolated for the last 15 minutes.

---

Wouldn't have missed yesterday's game for the world. Walking around Liverpool with an Oxford scarf getting very bemused looks from a sea of red-nylon clad locals (and daytrippers) and barca fans was something else.
Hargreaves only came on last 5 minutes (87th minute according to the official report). Before then it was definitely 4-4-2 with Yemi out on the right and Robinson/Duffy up front - unless you're suggesting one of Duffy/Robinson were playing in midfield until then?

I actually thought it was quite a bold move by Smith to replace Day with Robinson, I would have gone for Pettefer or even Hargreaves. Yemi at right midfield is not as strong defensively as Anaclet.

Duffy wasn't in a huff as far as I could tell (I was sat in the main stand so had a good view) he was talking to Burgess at the time of the substitution and didn't realise it was him who was being taken off.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Last nights results were a classic &quotwobble-starter&quot - the form team being pegged back to a draw by a late goal, with the previous leaders cementing a return to winning ways.

I almost (but not quite) feel happier in our situation than theirs. I hope the boys can keep up the pressure.
Last night may indeed prove significant - there were a number of games I felt that D&ampR should win but may have found tricky, but last night was not one of them (perhaps they relaxed too much?) whereas us away to Southport could easily have become a problem.

Whether this actually prompts a wobble, but as you say it is just the kind of result that might, particularly if we see off Forest Green on Saturday to have halved the deficit within a week.....
It is also encouraging that the chasing pack all continue to stutter meaning our chances of missing out on the playoffs diminish at pace..
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Duffy went off with a strop on and Hargreaves came on into midfield. Actually felt sorry for Marv because he was so isolated for the last 15 minutes.
It might have felt like 15 minutes, but as Isaac points out it was actually 3 (plus stoppage time).

Surely the earlier change (dropping Yemi back into midfield) was to keep width in right midfield, where we'd been looking most dangerous according to the radio commentary. Anaclet had to drop back to fullback due to injuries and none of the other options on the bench could offer the wide threat. Knowing your penchant for wingers, Dan, I'm surprised you're critical of this.

Not that I was there either (it's really quite a long way from Cornwall), so sorry if I've misunderstood something.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

3 minutes? Blimey. It felt longer (but I was shivering in the rain on the open terrace and desperately needing a wee!).