Duffer

Anything yellow and blue

Is Robert Duffy worth a place in the starting XI?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 21

YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Duffer

Post by YF Dan »

Given that he's causing such debate on these pages, let's put it out to the masses:

Yes or No.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Second to vote.

My vote for No assumes a fit and in-form Basham available.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

But unfortunatly he's not at the moment so i'd go with Duffy and Yemi as the front two. But even with Basham fit I'd still start with Duffy and have Bash and Yemi as interchangable depending on how the game is going (ie Aldershot @ home)
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I voted yes, because there is sadly no one better at the club at the moment.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I voted no, not because Duffy's a bad player as such, but because when he's on the pitch, we seem to play badly at the mo.

Don't ask me to justify it, it's just a gut feeling. But I have a pretty big gut!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I too have voted - no prizes for guessing which way.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I voted ‘no’ simply because I’d rather see him come on for the last 30-45 minutes and bust a gut for the cause of Oxford United rather than slotting in the sitters from the six yard box or the penalty spot and hoping that Swansea City will come in for him in the summer on the basis that he’s scored 25 goals or so against crap non-league opposition.

If Yemi can do it and get promoted to the starting line-up then so can Duffy.

As for who starts with Yemi, then err, dunno, but then I’m not Jim Smith and that’s his problem and not mine.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Duffer

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Given that he's causing such debate on these pages, let's put it out to the masses:

Yes or No.
Unless I've missed something, we've yet to hear your views on the subject, Dan. It's a while since I had an argument with you about football...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:Second to vote.

My vote for No assumes a fit and in-form Basham available.
As a matter of interest, Boogie, which prolific striker would you choose to partner the distinctly un-prolific Bash?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Basham? Basham??? That would be the feeble slow guy who can trap the ball further than I can kick it, would it? The one who stands on his heels and watches his striking partner knock the ball on, making him look bad, while all around coo about walking in some Alice in wonderland? Our top scorer from last year with, oooo, thirteen goals (including four penalties so that's only nine isn't it?).
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

A &quotYes&quot from me on the basis that he's the least worst of the options.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

I'd bench Duffy on current form. If Basham was fully fit.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I voted yes. He is a lazy git, but he's the player I trust most to ripple the onion bag. I don't think any team in the world can afford to drop its top scorer.

For the record, here's my starting XI - in a strict 4-4-2 (obviously):

Turley

Anaclet Quinn Corcoran Brevitt

Pettifer Foster Hargeaves Burgess

Odubade Duffy

I think that would win a lot of games in this shite league.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

On Saturday's evidence, I wonder if Odubade is wasted at the front of a &quotstrict&quot 4-4-2?

Running from deeper looks the better option, surely?
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

At the risk of sounding like Alan Hansen, I want Yemi on the shoulder of the last defender. All defenders (especially ageing non-league defenders) hate pace.

Just another thought about the Duffer too. Just say we were about to play Dagenham and news came through that Benson had been dropped, would it not give everyone a lift?

Opposition fans/teams don't know that sometimes Duffy is a lazy git, all they see is 19 goals next to his name. We don't know if Benson is lazy or moody or what. We just know he scores a lot of goals and therefore we fear/respect him.

You have to pick players who will score goals for you. Bash and Greb and Robbo don't look like they will, Beechers doesn't look like he'll ever get the chance.