Cricket

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

Cricket

Post by Mally »

Nice to see an England victory to reach the one day final this morning and even nicer to see a big Oxford United flag centre screen every time we celebrated a wicket. Wheatley Army is what I think it said along the bottom.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

A cynic says.....

Post by A-Ro »

Was it really any surprise to see an Australia v England final?

Which is going to generate more money? a 3 match final between Australia and New Zealand or Australia and England?

Does anybody believe that the Aussies wouldn't have lost on Friday unless they had to?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re: A cynic says.....

Post by Isaac »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Was it really any surprise to see an Australia v England final?

Which is going to generate more money? a 3 match final between Australia and New Zealand or Australia and England?

Does anybody believe that the Aussies wouldn't have lost on Friday unless they had to?
That's very cynical A-Ro. I'm not sure why a 3 match series with England in it would generate more money than New Zealand, there aren't any more England fans left out there now than Kiwi's (at least from the pictures I've seen) and NZ have their own rivalry with Aus anyway.

I think the aussies lost just by having an off-day (they weren't much better against NZ either), losing Symonds mid game and they probably lacked of motivation seeing as they qualified for the final ages ago, but that's not the same as deliberately losing. England played better too.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Wouldn't it be funny if England end up winning this, after some of the most pathetic one day performances ever in the early stages?

The Aussies wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:That's very cynical A-Ro.
Which is why I changed the subject to &quotA cynic says&quot

But on that point what are the chances of 1 - 1 v 2 - 0 after the first 2 games.

The cynic says that 1 - 1 is favourite because who wants a dead rubber for the last game.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:That's very cynical A-Ro.
Which is why I changed the subject to &quotA cynic says&quot

But on that point what are the chances of 1 - 1 v 2 - 0 after the first 2 games.

The cynic says that 1 - 1 is favourite because who wants a dead rubber for the last game.
If it's 2-0 they don't play the last one, although that's a minor issue since your point stands, but I still think it's hugely unlikely - by the time they get to the deciding final (if it happens) they've already played 14 games in the tournament alone, do you really think that the Aussie board are that keen for a 15th that they'd tell their players to throw a game (especially with recent matchfixing problems)? They could have just made it a best of 5 final.

Australia will be much harder to beat with Ponting back, mainly because he's batting incredibly well at the moment.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Get in you beauty
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Get in you beauty
And the Prime chunterer got spanked. Probably won't need the Adelaide match now he says tempting fate perhaps a tad too much.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotNed Kelly, Robert Menzies, David Campese, Kylie Minogue, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, Ian Thorpe, Yvonne Goolagong, Mel Gibson ... your boys took a hell of a beating&quot
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Evonne.
entirely disenchanted
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Evonne.
Also Mel Gibson is a Yank.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Pedants all

I nicked it off cricinfo - take it up with them.