(Almost) Perfect Night

Anything yellow and blue
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

(Almost) Perfect Night

Post by SmileyMan »

Apart from John-Joe O'Toole's goal, that was (almost) a perfect set of results last night:

- A convincing home win (first in 2016!)
- Overtaking the team above us in the League
- The teams immediately above and below us both lost
- No other team in the top 7 won
- In the last four days we have moved eight points clear of the playoff peleton and hauled back four points from the leaders

Awesome job from Appleton and the boys! Come on you Yellows!!!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: (Almost) Perfect Night

Post by slappy »

Agreed - this could be the most important night's results of the season if looking purely for promotion.

That gap from the play-offs of eight to eleven points will be hard for teams to breach, even allowing for games in hand, which of course the other teams have to win. We have also played the most games (34) along with a few other teams, which should help our cause by having less fixture pile-up.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Yep I couldn't believe it as first Barnet scored, then Yeovil, then Exeter got that last-minute equaliser! Nothing wrong with the draw between Northampton and Wombles either. It all felt too good to be true, though I reckon there will be more twists and turns along the way. Makes Saturday's game very mouthwatering indeed.

One slight correction from the opening post though - Bristol Rovers did win quite convincingly and are now Top 7. But it's all in our hands, and we just need to worry about our own results from now on. Our goal difference is back to being (joint) best in the league too...
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

...plus, as last night, many of the teams around us have yet to play each other. This Saturday there is Wimbledon v Accrington and Carlisle v Northampton, then next Tuesday Accrington v Portsmouth and Bristol Rovers v Wimbledon.
Bring back the black away shirt!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I tell you, stick a tenner on us to win the league. I did it on Sunday when we were still 16/1
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

recordmeister wrote:I tell you, stick a tenner on us to win the league. I did it on Sunday when we were still 16/1
Already got a nice bet earlier in the season. But I did just bet on Northampton to choke.....
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Without our best players we looked pretty average, I thought, and resorted to some pretty direct boots to our talented forward line. However we were more than good enough to beat a York side that looked to be of about Rymans league standard - I bet most Conference South sides would have been more difficult opponents and would have had more than one shot.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah, you can never sniff at a 4-0 win, but York were abysmal, and we spent much of the game looking little better. Great set of results though.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Three really important wins in a row, 10 goals shared around but also our strikers scoring, key players getting a break, replacements standing up and being counted...plus our rivals dropping points... the past week couldn't have gone any better really.

And to do this having looked on the ropes after Accrington and Northampton speaks volumes about the spirit in the squad.

I was really starting to worry that our star men were all starting to creak...sounds like Roofe came back firing on all cylinders last night and a enforced break for Lunny will have done him no harm.

From what I've read, it sounds like Plymouth picked up a few injuries in their loss last night... I'm feeling fairly confident about our chances both on Saturday and for the rest of the season.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

YF Dan wrote:From what I've read, it sounds like Plymouth picked up a few injuries in their loss last night... I'm feeling fairly confident about our chances both on Saturday and for the rest of the season.
YF Dan in 'glass half full' shocker!

We really must be doing something right. Are you sure you're feeling okay, Dan??
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Never mind, I'm still here to remind you that it will be all back to doom and gloom after 5pm on Saturday! Woe, woe and thrice woe ...

The good thing about being a pessimist is that you are rarely sadly disappointed ...
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Hey, I'm not gloomy, I'm just stunningly perceptive :roll:

I'm also between 8000 and 11000km away from any Oxford match until late April, so that virtually guarantees a lengthy winning spree.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Kernow Yellow wrote:One slight correction from the opening post though - Bristol Rovers did win quite convincingly and are now Top 7
That's not a correction, it's a deliberately pedantic misunderstanding :P
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

SmileyMan wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:One slight correction from the opening post though - Bristol Rovers did win quite convincingly and are now Top 7
That's not a correction, it's a deliberately pedantic misunderstanding :P
No misunderstanding, but a possible misrepresentation (to be properly pedantic)! And I know there's no need to apologise for pedantry on this forum...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

What a great night that was. I was stuck in a hotel room in Leeds but followed the events by the antiquated medium that is Teletext. Each time I refreshed the pages, there was more good news particularly towards the end of the games.

Let's just hope we can really build on this and secure promotion well before Carlisle (a) otherwise we'll all have to get on the football special to Cumbria......

COYY