A grave end

Anything yellow and blue
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

A grave end

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Thanks for the FA Cup summary Boris but you forgot to mention that Chelmsford City knocked out Gravesend &amp Northfleet. Gravesend are the team that I always forget about too. They were totally unfancied at the start of the season and are sneaking up on the rails in the Conference. I've got a funny feeling that they might be the team to break our unbeated league record. We go there after the Wycombe game and it might be a case of 'after the lord mayor's show'.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I never understood what was supposed to be so great about the Lord Mayor's Show anyway.
entirely disenchanted
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

This however is a great painting of the Lord Mayor's Show although you can't really see it properly when it's this small. It's in the Guildhall Art Gallery and I love it.

entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re: A grave end

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:We go there after the Wycombe game and it might be a case of 'after the lord mayor's show'.
Hmmm - could be very prophetic seeing as the Lord Mayor's Parade in London is on the 11th November.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

[quote=&quotPeña Oxford United&quot]This however is a great painting of the Lord Mayor's Show although you can't really see it properly when it's this small. It's in the Guildhall Art Gallery and I love it.

Image[/
quote]

What are your views on Velasquez? Seeing as you are Spanish?

Thnk he's wonderful.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:

Thnk he's wonderful.
sorry, i feel i have to butt in - he's my favourite painter!

obviously for his faces, but his sense of structure in a painting is something else - both in the large pieces like his 'venus', 'las meninas', and 'christ in the house of martha and mary', but also the smaller works that i particuarly love, like the one of the dwarf with the sceptre-like rattle next to a two-year old child from one of the aristocratic families.

can't wait to get to the exhibition at the national.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Only on this &quotfootball forum&quot could we go from discussing a conference team on the Thames estuary to the history of art.

Surely Turner would be a more apt subject for discussion given his paintings of the Thames.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

IÔÇÖve been wondering why the name of the painter Velazquez was generally spelled Velasquez in Britain up to the end of the 19th century, and frequently in the 20th.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

&quotneilw&quot wrote:I’ve been wondering why the name of the painter Velazquez was generally spelled Velasquez in Britain up to the end of the 19th century, and frequently in the 20th.
Quite likely because the z is lisped. Zaragoza, for instance, is spelled Saragossa in many books including Hugh Thomas' history of the Spanish Civil War.

To be honest my knowledge of Velazquez is pretty limited and we're a long way from the Prado here.
entirely disenchanted
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:
&quotneilw&quot wrote:I’ve been wondering why the name of the painter Velazquez was generally spelled Velasquez in Britain up to the end of the 19th century, and frequently in the 20th.
Quite likely because the z is lisped. Zaragoza, for instance, is spelled Saragossa in many books including Hugh Thomas' history of the Spanish Civil War.

To be honest my knowledge of Velazquez is pretty limited and we're a long way from the Prado here.
Even further from the National Gallery as well. Brilliant Velasquez (sp - hah) exhibition there at moment.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:

Thnk he's wonderful.
sorry, i feel i have to butt in - he's my favourite painter!

obviously for his faces, but his sense of structure in a painting is something else - both in the large pieces like his 'venus', 'las meninas', and 'christ in the house of martha and mary', but also the smaller works that i particuarly love, like the one of the dwarf with the sceptre-like rattle next to a two-year old child from one of the aristocratic families.

can't wait to get to the exhibition at the national.

Apollo telling Vulcan that his wife is shagging Mars while the lads at the forge look on is a laugh a minute. Signed Brian Sewell.

The National Gallery exhibition is awesome.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Bloody representationalism! Imposing limits on the reaction of the paint and the unconcious. Sweep away the old. Pure line and colour field, bypass literal perception.

If United were a painter, who would they be? Is that plural right?
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Bloody representationalism! Imposing limits on the reaction of the paint and the unconcious. Sweep away the old. Pure line and colour field, bypass literal perception.

If United were a painter, who would they be? Is that plural right?
well, in-keeping with that theme, how about david hockney?

after a period of somewhat post-modern experimentation, returned to more traditional methods and rediscovered form...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Rolf Harris
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Rolf Harris
Someone had to say it :wink: