This Saturday

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

This Saturday

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So now we know who we'll be playing this Saturday, and it's lowly Torquay. They've just appointed My Little Pony as manager, and he seems to have had an immediate impact so they'll be well up for it. And Hargreaves will be keen to prove to OUFC fans that he's not just good at leading teams downwards out of the league. And the worst bit is, of course, that we're at home.

Now I can't help thinking that this is an absolutely crucial game for Us. It is surely unthinkable that we can fail to beat Plymouth, Pompey and Torquay all within the space of a month (not forgetting the appalling loss to Scunthorpe too). A win on Saturday, a new striker (maybe) and we can put the last month behind us. But what would failure to win at home again against such meagre opposition mean for our season, and for Chris Wilder's future?

Let's hope we don't have to find out...
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: This Saturday

Post by Paul Cooper »

Yes it is a really big game in the perspective of the whole season.

The ridiculous thing is that if we were to win on Saturday then we are likely to be pretty close to the top 3. We are still in a very good position but need a decent run to get right back in there.

It is critical that we have Williams back and hopefully Kitson as well.

As has been said Hargreaves' team will be well up for it. But ..... they are a poor team and are under just as much pressure as we are.

There are really no excuses. It is about time we won some at home and Saturday could kick start the rest of the season. After yesterday I worry a lot about Smalley and Rigg (and I assume that Davies will be at the bottom of the midfield players given an opportunity).
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

CW's comments about a new striker are interesting, and you can't help thinking that 'a couple need to come out of the team' if he gets one is mainly aimed at Smalley. He has been given a number of chances and has done very little after the first couple of games.

Massive on Saturday - it simply has to be three points and, if it is, will leave me a lot more positive about our prospects for this season. Everyone we play now until the end of February is in the bottom half so we really need to push on.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

What will be interesting is what happens to Josh Ruffels. He was head and shoulders above anybody else in both games against Charlton, and I see no reason at all why he shouldn't start on Saturday. However, Wilder's post-match comments suggested that Rose would be straight back in again. If that is the case, the failure to play Ruffels would be bordering on an Atkins/Whitehead situation.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

I haven't seen either of the Charlton matches where Ruffels played in the centre of midfield, but what I'm gleaning from several observations is that he is more effective in a central midfield role than left midfield where I have seen him play in the earlier cup rounds. Wilder seems to favour Mullins in a holding midfield role at the moment and it seems unlikely that he would be moved back into central defence in place of Raynes. It is almost inevitable that Wroe and Rose would return. Therefore, it may be that Ruffels' best chance of remaining in the XI would be by taking Rigg's place in the team, but would a wide left attack position really suit his game? For what it's worth, I would also play Williams on the right channel and (if fit) bring Kitson back into the central position ahead of Constable and Smalley.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I don't agree that the current situation is anything like the Atkins/ Whitehead situation.

Whitehead seemed to me to be clearly better than others in the side and he really added something.

To me Ruffels has been good but is he much better than Rose? Personally I would have Rose slightly in front of Ruffels. They are not too dissimilar (try to keep the ball, play a lot of simple balls etc. Neither adds a substantial attacking threat (Asa Hall probably did more so). Rose has scored a few goals this season and Ruffels should have scored the header on Tuesday.

So I wouldn't really blame CW for bringing in Rose but telling him that if he didn't perform then there is serious competition for his place.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Paul Cooper wrote:I don't agree that the current situation is anything like the Atkins/ Whitehead situation.

Whitehead seemed to me to be clearly better than others in the side and he really added something.

To me Ruffels has been good but is he much better than Rose? Personally I would have Rose slightly in front of Ruffels. They are not too dissimilar (try to keep the ball, play a lot of simple balls etc. Neither adds a substantial attacking threat (Asa Hall probably did more so). Rose has scored a few goals this season and Ruffels should have scored the header on Tuesday.

So I wouldn't really blame CW for bringing in Rose but telling him that if he didn't perform then there is serious competition for his place.
Agree with all of that and I think Rose will perform better with Wroe alongside him than Hall. Wroe is a more complete footballer than Asa.

Ruffels on the left away from home is ok but at home it has to be Rigg if we are going to attack the oppo AND he needs to be played on the wing rather than as a central midfielder. That said, Rigg needs to be told he'd better perform on the wing asap as there is increasing competition from others.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Rose slightly ahead of Ruffels? Sorry, but Ruffels bossed the midfield in two games against a Championship side. Rather than Rose going straight back in, it should be Ruffels place to lose.