Prospective Candidates - when the time comes

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Prospective Candidates - when the time comes

Post by Mooro »

Although it seems that the board have decided not to put Mr Wilder out of his (our?) misery for now, I thought I'd have a look round at who the possible candidates might be when the time comes (largely based on those names that appear on bookies list for other vacancies). I've tried to ignore those unemployed managers who would not consider coming down to L2.

Feel free to comment and/or suggest other candidates I've missed:
Chris Wilder (Alfreton Step5 83%WR // Halifax 02-08 38% WR // Oxford 08-13 45%WR, Conf PO win)

Currently out of work:
Peter Houston (Dundee utd 09-13, 3rd SPL 09-10, 4th SPL 10-11 &amp 11-12, left after talks with Blackpool, so looking, but prob higher),
Curle (Mansf 02-04 L1 Rel, L2 P offs 37% WR // Chester 05-06 sacked after 9months 31%WR// Notts C 7th L1 11-12, 45%WR)
P Dickov (Oldham 10-13 incl 17th &amp 16th in L1, 30% Win Ratio),
Dowie (Oldham 02-03 Div P offs // Palace - Champ P off win, Prem rel, CHamp P offs again // Charlton, Coventry, QPr, Hull // short stays, controversy follows
Peter Jackson (Hudds 97-99 35% // Hudds 03-07 41% D3 PO win D2PO// Lincoln 07-09 35% // Brad '11 21%)
Neale Cooper (Ross C 96-02 2xprom // Hartlepool 03-05 2x D2 POffs // Gills 05 // Peterhead 08-11 Sc D1 Poffs // Hartlepool 11-12 // now Asst man Ross C)
Gary Mccallister (Cov 02-03 28%WR // Leeds 08 50%WR //asst M'bro10, Villa10-11)
Paul Sturrock (St J 93-98 ScL1 1st 46% // Dundee U 98-00 32% // Plym 00-04 1st D3, 1st D2 // Soton L1 POff // Sheff W 04-06 L1 PO win 34%// Slumdon 06-07 L2 Prom 50% // Plym 07-09 28% // Southend 10-13 42%)

Currently managing/in work (compensation/end of season move):
Paul Tisdale (Team Bath 04-06 // Exeter mgr since 06 Conf PO, Conf PO win, L2 prom 38%)
J Edinburgh (Fisher SL Prom // Grays 14th in conf // R&ampD Conf P offs, sacked when club expelled, now mgr Newport),
A Morrell (Wrexham since Sep11 59%WR),
Mark Yates (Kiddie 06-09 FAT final 42%WR // Cheltenham mgr since 09- L2 P Offs, 39%)
Gary Rowett (Burton mgr since May12 43%)
Allan Johnstone (Queen of South mgr since May12 Sc L2 P35 W29 83% WR)
Alan Irvine (Preston 07-09 incl Champ P Offs // Sheff Weds - Champ rel, sacked when 11th L1 (MAndaric) // Now head of everton academy)
S Tilson (Southend 03-10, incl L2 prom, L1 prom, champ rel, 40% WR // Lincoln 10-11 L2 rel to conf, // now runs football academy &amp mgr Canvey Is),
Neil Aspin (Harrogate 05-09 3x Top6 conf N // Halifax 09-date NP1N&gtNPP&gtConf N)
S Lee (Bolton academy head, only managerial experience is 3 wins from 14 as Bolton caretaker)

Prob too big a drop - Cotterill (Asst QPR, so prob not), Jewell, Coyle

Links to Oxford - Mike Ford (!),
Brian McDermott (Reading 09-13 Ch Prom, Ch POffs - 45% WR)
Lee Bradbury (B'mth for 15 months 35% WR //mgr Havant &ampW 46% WR),
M Foyle (Vale in L1 for 5 seasons, York Conf P offs, now mgr Hereford),
Dave Penney (Doncaster 01-06 47%WR, prom Conf&gtD3&gtD2 // Darlington 06-09 43% // Oldham 09-10 26% // BRistol R 2months 15%),
P Simpson (Roch 02-03 30% // Carlisle 03-06 45% Conf&gtL2&gtL1 // Preston 06-07 40% // Shrews 08-10 35% // Stockport 2010 // now youth academy in Portugal) ,
J Magilton (Ipswich 06-09 WR 38% // QPR '09 39% // Melbourne),
B Horton (Hull 84-88 D3prom 39% // Oxford 88-93 D2 32% // Man C 93-94 Pr 30% // Hudds 95-97 D1 32% // Brighton 98-99 D3 saved from drop // P Vale 99-04 D1-D2 32% // MAcclesfield 03-06 L2 saved from drop 36% // MAcc 11-12 L2 couldnt save from drop)

Moved Elsewhere - K McDonald (ex Asst Villa), Andy Scott ( &gt&gt Aldershot) , A Knill ( &gt&gt Torquay), Steven Pressley (&gt&gt Coventry), Phil Brown (&gt&gt Southend), D Mckinnes (&gt&gt Aberdeen), Westley (&gt&gtStevenage)
Last edited by Mooro on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 10 times in total.
SWA
Puberty

Re: Prospective Candidates - when the time comes

Post by SWA »

Lots of fans are calling for Westley to be the new gaffer
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Under &quotLinks to Oxford&quot can we tempt Aldo?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotSWA&quot wrote:Lots of fans are calling for Westley to be the new gaffer
Yes, and lots of others putting him on a par with Steve Evans in terms of desirability........best avoided I'd say as many would struggle to get behind him and would become highly vocal very quickly if things didnt go well....
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I would like nobody with any connection to Oxford in the past.

Also people who may apply could include Tisdale (maybe he has been too long at Exeter like Wilder has been here).

One thing any perspective manager has to be able to do with the current players coming through the youth team is to start using them when they are ready and to want to try them out.

Hopefully IL will interview a number of people and gte the best one out there ...
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

No there isn't. There is a vocal handful.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Hopefully IL will interview a number of people and gte the best one out there ...
We can all have our fun speculating and debating, but when it comes to the actual decision-making process, this is what has to happen...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:I would like nobody with any connection to Oxford in the past.

One thing any perspective manager has to be able to do with the current players coming through the youth team is to start using them when they are ready and to want to try them out.

Hopefully IL will interview a number of people and gte the best one out there ...
Agree with this &amp Dr Bob, not arguing against a proper process and hoping that we have the right people to select the right man (who was on the selection panel list time I wonder?) and hope that utilising the products of the new development squad will be an important thing for all concerned.
As for Oxford connection, I'm not advocating we use that as a dominant factor, but if their record is worthy of attention anyway, and they have an positive Oxford link (eg Andy Scott) then that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

My list is not to say who I think should get it, just to try to pick out who is likely to come under consideration....
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Andy &quotBarn Door&quot Scott would really get our strikers firing wouldn't he :?:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
No there isn't. There is a vocal handful.
I know for a fact that Westley was desperate to be appointed last time around (and I still have the emails from him somewhere). And he’d be cheap as he’s a free agent. On the other hand, things have changed at Boardroom level, as will have Westley’s personal circumstances and desire to move to the Oxford area. I for one really don’t know who we should appoint.

It’s disappointing and very short term thinking that IL reckons swapping the manager will cost £250k as that’s not just Wilder’s salary he’s including, it’s the additional costs of chopping and changing the squad (or bringing on some of our youth) which at the end of the day may mean we are better off.

What I will say is that timing is important. IF Wilder is to go then the new Manager should have at least half a dozen games before the end of the season to properly assess the current squad and get to know them before deciding who gets shipped out during the summer.

Another one to cross off the list is David &quotKemp Out&quot as he's been the assistant manager at Stoke for years - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 306715.stm and http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... ort_id=179

As for relegation, then no way can I see that happening, though I can see a chink of light regarding London Welsh going down and going back to where they came from and leaving our grass alone so that next season there is more chance of a few on the deck passes that find the target.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Just updated the list a little, should it become relevant any time soon......
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Not many on that list seem better than what we have got I think but Penny or Tilson seem a good shout.

I would go for Tisdale at Exeter though, been there a while, taking them as far as he can and possibly needs a new challange. He may well be looking upwards rather than at our level but it IL sells the club to him and promises to back him it may be tempted.

Would be far more exciting than bringing in a manager who has failed at their last club as most those on the list has done.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:... a manager who has failed at their last club as most those on the list has done.
That was quite noticeable when I was putting the list together (although generally managers that aren't failing aren't sacked), I guess the trick is spotting the one for which that was the quirk amongst better results (Tilson?, Penney?) or where the departure was due to another agenda (Houston, Irvine?). The alternative is picking off the next big thing for whom things are going well where they are currently in work (Tisdale, Edinburgh, Morrell, Pressley) , but that then means being able to tempt them to come here instead of carrying on where they are or holding on for a bigger move...

As someone else suggests on another thread, if we were to part company with Wilder, another club in our position looking for a new boss would probably have him pretty much at the top of that list......which is a sobering thought
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:As someone else suggests on another thread, if we were to part company with Wilder, another club in our position looking for a new boss would probably have him pretty much at the top of that list......which is a sobering thought
After this season? Maybe if you're a Conference club wanting to get (back) into the League, he's perfect. His appalling record of signings won't endear him to anyone with a limited budget either.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:As someone else suggests on another thread, if we were to part company with Wilder, another club in our position looking for a new boss would probably have him pretty much at the top of that list......which is a sobering thought
After this season? Maybe if you're a Conference club wanting to get (back) into the League, he's perfect. His appalling record of signings won't endear him to anyone with a limited budget either.
Yeah I wouldn't want the likes of Wright, Davies, Batt, Clarke, Rigg or Leven anywhere near my team.

Sure there have been some duffers amongst the players he's brought in but lets not forget there have been some gems as well.

It strikes me these boards are a lot more active and willing to moan when we lose a game than when we win away to the league leaders where I'm sure I spotted some tumbleweed rolling accross this site.

Last night shouldn't detract from the two excellent results before that. Lets see where we end up this season - the momentum at the moment is upwards, a couple of weeks ago we were looking over our shoulders, we are all annoyed because last night put a big dent in the promotion hopes, but it shouldn't undermine the improvement we had seen before that.