Everything for sale

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Everything for sale

Post by Radley Rambler »

Not sure what I think about this:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/andyroverrans/m. ... amp_ipg=25

Couldn't the club have considered 6 individuals who do a lot for the club instead and given them a place - for example the poor sod who has to run Raging Fever :D !

As for selling Ball Boy places, it all feels a bit tacky.

Others' views?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I don't see the stadium on the list...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Everything for sale

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Not sure what I think about this:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/andyroverrans/m. ... amp_ipg=25

Couldn't the club have considered 6 individuals who do a lot for the club instead and given them a place - for example the poor sod who has to run Raging Fever :D !

As for selling Ball Boy places, it all feels a bit tacky.

Others' views?
Since it all appears to be for the testimonial, I assume all proceeds go to Joey and Dave Langan? In which case I guess it's right to try and maximise revenue, if that's how these things work.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I just can't see the appeal of going to watch a lot of old fat blokes waddling around the pitch. People do realise they won't look like they did 20-30 years ago don't they?

Personally I would rather they'd sell the Birmingham friendly as the Langan testimonial with a cameo by the old giffers at halftime but it's probably just me!*

*This post isn't intended to demean the efforts of the testimonial committee by the way, it's just me being a grump
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotHog&quot wrote:I just can't see the appeal of going to watch a lot of old fat blokes waddling around the pitch. People do realise they won't look like they did 20-30 years ago don't they?

Personally I would rather they'd sell the Birmingham friendly as the Langan testimonial with a cameo by the old giffers at halftime but it's probably just me!*

*This post isn't intended to demean the efforts of the testimonial committee by the way, it's just me being a grump
I think that misses the point somewhat.

The occasion isn't about expecting Joey Beauchamp to take on Championship standard players and score 40 yard goals to secure promotion.

It's just a gentle jog around and bit of fun to raise money for players who served the club well, and perhaps to stir up some memories of greater times at the club.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

If I want to stir up some memories I'll look at Youtube! I've never 'got it' when testimonials feature old fat blokes against other old fat blokes.

I'm not sure if Birmingham fans hold Dave Langan in such esteem as we do but I reckon we'd get alot more through the door for a testimonial if it was between the respective first team squads and let the old fat blokes loose at half time!
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re:

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotHog&quot wrote:If I want to stir up some memories I'll look at Youtube! I've never 'got it' when testimonials feature old fat blokes against other old fat blokes.

I'm not sure if Birmingham fans hold Dave Langan in such esteem as we do but I reckon we'd get alot more through the door for a testimonial if it was between the respective first team squads and let the old fat blokes loose at half time!
The funniest one was Rosie's against a &quotChelsea XI&quot. Turned out to be their youth team looking totally bemused to be up against Briggsy....
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotHog&quot wrote:I just can't see the appeal of going to watch a lot of old fat blokes waddling around the pitch. People do realise they won't look like they did 20-30 years ago don't they?
It's not a bad roster of fat old blokes though, is it?

Elliott, Gilchrist, Hebberd, Lawrence, Massey, Rush, Windass, Robinson, Powell, Shotton, Murphy, Judge, Melville, Lewis, Allen...

Some serious OUFC heroes in there. Good on whoever's organising it for getting that lot involved. If I didn't have to be at work in Cornwall early the next morning I'd definitely be travelling up to bring back the memories. But maybe I'm just a sentimental fool...