Play-off attendances in Manchester

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Play-off attendances in Manchester

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Following on from the discussion on the other thread, which got slightly sidetracked, about the perceived poor attendance at the Conference play-off final at Eastlands - I see that Stevenage have sold a whopping 3,500 tickets so far for their visit to Old Trafford this weekend, and Torquay have only managed 5,000. Wonder what the record low attendance for a league play-off final is?
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

Blame the F A for chosing Manchester for the final (12 months previous) They could have waited to see which 2 teams were in the final. We could even have staged it. 5,000 at most from both teams, no probs.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Finalist were not know until a week ago. Waiting until then to pick a venue and get everything arranged would have been asking rather a lot I think.
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Finalist were not know until a week ago. Waiting until then to pick a venue and get everything arranged would have been asking rather a lot I think.
Would you not have &quothedged your bets&quot and picked somewhere in the midlands?
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

19,486 saw Colchester beat Torquay in 1998. Figures for pre-1991 aren't on wikipedia. Contrast that with 2007, when 61,589 were at Wembley for Bristol Rovers v Wycombe!

I'd be surprised if it would have been possible to wait until the finalists were known. Maybe the Millennium Stadium would have been a better choice as venue - more of a &quotbig day out&quot feeling than Old Trafford.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Finalist were not know until a week ago. Waiting until then to pick a venue and get everything arranged would have been asking rather a lot I think.
Would you not have &quothedged your bets&quot and picked somewhere in the midlands?
That shows too much commonsense. But depending on the two clubs involved there could be a massive difference in demand. A few thousand rattling round in a huge ground would look ridiculous (Old Trafford on Saturday) but wouldn't want people to be locked out that wanted to go.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The football league paper weren't far wrong a fortnight ago

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:
But what if the final had been between, say, Us and Shrewsbury? A stadium in the Midlands might well have been oversubscribed for that.

Essentially it's bad luck that two Southern teams with poor support made it through. Bradford vs Chesterfield, for example, would have made Old Trafford look pretty full.

The biggest mistake is the ticket prices. It is still a game of Div 4 football, at the end of the day, and many tickets are selling at upwards of 40 quid. That makes it a very expensive day out for a family from Torquay. If all tickets were sold at £20 (£10 concs), you'd get many more family groups travelling, and more neutrals turning up for a game at Old Trafford too. As it is, watching it on telly in the pub must be quite an attractive proposition for casual fans of both teams.

Waiting until the finalists is known is a nice idea, but I don't know how feasible it would be. What if the most suitable grounds were all booked up with other engagements?
OUFanatic
Toddler

Post by OUFanatic »

I think Villa Park would have been a far more imaginative and even sensible option for the L1 and 2 play offs. Even the Conference play off final was under supported!

I hope the FA and FL kick themselves when they total up the profits of the play offs this year.

Who do we want to win from Stevenage and Torquay then?
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Torquay's Guy Branston was just quoted on the Beeb as saying &quotStevenage are a big, big club' whom the pressure will be on. Work THAT one out if you can!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

To be fair I understand that there was a traffic problem on the M6, so I can only assume that the missing 25,000 Stevenage fans were there? Otherwise it would be just too embarrassing to contemplate that a league 2 club can only bring 5000 fans to a play off final.
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

It really annoys me to see that less than 11,500 people turned up to that game. I understand why and everything but it just bugs me! - It's horrible to think that we could have hosted that game at the Kassam and had 1000 tickets spare.

Geographical stuff blah blah - Oxford would have taken over 20,000, even if the final was in Darlington.
EIEIEIO
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAylesbury Rich&quot wrote:To be fair I understand that there was a traffic problem on the M6,
Torquay supporting mates were stationary on the M6 for ona and a half hours. Just wasn't their day was it.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Apparently the FA have so far paid up £500K compensation to the football league for double booking Wembley (with a total of £1MM due).