Barrow

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Barrow

Post by Swissbloke »

Couple of games in a row now with Barrow. That's an interesting 7 days against one of the divisions &quottougher&quot teams.

Also nice to see we have the biggest attendance of round 1 so far. (Milwall V Wimbledon tomorrow will be big I think)

2,700 - Wycombe
3,100 - Tranmere
4,800 - S******
5,500 - Oldham
4,800 - Franchise
2,600 - Gillingham
4,100 - Carlisle.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Bristol Rvrs v Southampton on Friday night?
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Just about the worst draw imaginable. We should arrange the results now - they can have the cup game if we have the 3 points.

A draw doesn't bear thinking about - all that way.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:Just about the worst draw imaginable. We should arrange the results now - they can have the cup game if we have the 3 points.

While I agree that a draw would be the worst possible result, I don't think it was by any means the worst possible draw (away to Barrow, Carlisle, Gateshead, Wrexham...)
Yellow River
Brat

Post by Yellow River »

Decent draw IMHO.

It's at home &amp we have a very good chance of getting into the third round.

Look at it from Barrow's point of view, two long trips in a week with a home game in mid-week. They'll think it's a crap draw.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:Just about the worst draw imaginable. We should arrange the results now - they can have the cup game if we have the 3 points.

Agree I don't want us drawing any cup games, but I think it's a great draw. It gives us a really strong chance of reaching the 3rd and a possible big tie, with the money that brings.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Worst draw imaginable.

At home to a team below us in the league and a genuine chance of a lucrative 3rd round match. What ill luck is befalling our club.

I was really hoping for Carlisle or Torquay away.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

You must have a very stange imagination.
Beach Road End
Brat

Post by Beach Road End »

Decent draw I think. Very winnable with the possibility of a good 3rd round draw
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Worst draw imaginable.

At home to a team below us in the league and a genuine chance of a lucrative 3rd round match. What ill luck is befalling our club.

Quite! Short of drawing Staines or Bath City at home, this was about as good a draw as we could hope for.

I doubt Barrow are thrilled with it.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:

Quite! Short of drawing Staines or Bath City at home, this was about as good a draw as we could hope for.

I actually think it's better than Staines or Bath City, who would have regarded it as their cup final. Barow will primarily regard it as another irksome trip to Oxford. Of course there's the possibility of defeat, but we could hardly have a better chance of progressing. And, as Swissbloke's attendance stats show, a money-spinning away game was very unlikely indeed.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:

I actually think it's better than Staines or Bath City, who would have regarded it as their cup final. Barow will primarily regard it as another irksome trip to Oxford. Of course there's the possibility of defeat, but we could hardly have a better chance of progressing. And, as Swissbloke's attendance stats show, a money-spinning away game was very unlikely indeed.
Er, good away draw for Barrow actually. Which game actually attracted the biggest gate on Saturday? Plus, they also have a better chance of progressing than if it was a League 1 or 2 club.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

[quote=&quotAscension Ox
Er, good away draw for Barrow actually. Which game actually attracted the biggest gate on Saturday? Plus, they also have a better chance of progressing than if it was a League 1 or 2 club.[/quote]

I agree totally with your first point (I could not believe we even had more than Oldham-Leeds), but not so sure about the second. Even without pointing out that we just deservedly beat a Division 3 side (after all, football is not transitive....) Barrow having played us previously - let alone the previous week - surely it will be harder for them to raise their game against a side in the same division than one clearly 'bigger' by being from a higher division?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

On balance I think it's a good draw. Another £50,000 in the bank and a very realistic chance (without getting complacent) of going through. The chances for a &quotbig&quot away game were very limited and if we are at home it might as well be another tin pot side.

20 teams get through to the third round from the second with 44 joining. Of those joining a good 30 are &quotbig&quot clubs that would see a near full house at home or a bigger crowd away so assuming we get through there's a 50:50 chance of getting a big payday/event followed by an honourable exit and concentration on the league.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Barrow away: W2 D2 L5 F9 A15
Oxford home: W8 D1 L0 F23 A3

A good draw. Just don't get a replay - if the scores are level after 89 minutes, Clarke should throw it in his own net!